The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Dec 27, 2014, 11:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomerSooner View Post
My question is why you would mess around with trying to make the ball conform to the standards (removing or adding air). Assuming I discover the situation during pregame, I would just ask for a different ball.
All / most of the other balls are being used by the teams during warmups. OR, the team has one ball that is the "game ball". Or, it's just easier / quicker / less disruptive to put the needle in and let the air out than it is to seek out a new ball.
Old Sat Dec 27, 2014, 01:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
Speaking of (game) balls and inflation pressures, is it true that if you take air out of the ball you will have fewer held balls in girls games? I'm asking for a friend.
Only if you hide the ball.
Old Sat Dec 27, 2014, 05:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by La Rikardo View Post
Anyway, back to basketball, to me it wouldn't seem like a big deal to switch out a ball if a player complains that it's too hard/soft. Of course, if the ball is on the end of the spectrum one way or the other, we should probably be asking the teams' guards before the game what they think before we decide to use that ball.
No. The game of basketball is a lot more about touch and finesse than soccer. Slight changes in the ball, inflation, texture, weight, etc., even if all the changes are within the legal ranges, will have a bigger impact than the variations in a soccer ball within the legal ranges. Don't change the ball unless it is not legal.
Old Sat Dec 27, 2014, 08:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
No. The game of basketball is a lot more about touch and finesse than soccer. Slight changes in the ball, inflation, texture, weight, etc., even if all the changes are within the legal ranges, will have a bigger impact than the variations in a soccer ball within the legal ranges. Don't change the ball unless it is not legal.
Not true. The ampunt of air in a soccer ball will affect how far it flies, how fast it flies, and the spin rate on those fancy kicks you see. The reason many balls are used is because the clock does not stop when it goes out of bounds and they pay outdoors so it may take a while to get it back.

I can find no rule specifically prohibiting changing the ball but if I deemed it good to start the game we use it for the whole game. Just because one player or one team thinks it doesn't suit their game is not a valid reason to switch. Both teams will need to adapt to the ball being used.
Old Sat Dec 27, 2014, 11:15pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Outdoor sports need to have multiple balls available. In football, each team will have multiple balls checked by the officials so as not to slow play down. There's no need for this in basketball.
Old Sat Dec 27, 2014, 11:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
This reminded me. We had an AAU game several years ago. The listed home team was to provide the ball. Our team had several good shooters while the other team had more of an inside game. The ball given by the home team (we were visitors) was extremely worn down. We complained, but the "home team" insisted on using that ball. We were playing by NFHS rules and the officials said that the ball was within legal range. Are there any rules regarding the condition of the ball? Thanks.
Old Sun Dec 28, 2014, 12:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich1 View Post
Not true. The ampunt of air in a soccer ball will affect how far it flies, how fast it flies, and the spin rate on those fancy kicks you see. The reason many balls are used is because the clock does not stop when it goes out of bounds and they pay outdoors so it may take a while to get it back.

I can find no rule specifically prohibiting changing the ball but if I deemed it good to start the game we use it for the whole game. Just because one player or one team thinks it doesn't suit their game is not a valid reason to switch. Both teams will need to adapt to the ball being used.
At the highest levels of soccer, all balls used absolutely must be of identical pressure, weight, and quality. In the amateur and youth competitions that make up 99.9% of the competitive soccer played in the United States, we're not so worried about it. The difference between a basketball with a pressure on the high end of what's legal and a basketball with a pressure on the low end of what's legal is certainly meaningful, but if players generally agree that a ball's pressure is either higher or lower than what they'd prefer (and I'm not talking about games of high enough level where game management specially prepares a ball for game use; I'm talking about games where we're asking a team for a ball to use during the game), I don't see any reason why we can't change one legal ball for another legal ball.
Old Sun Dec 28, 2014, 02:24am
AremRed

I was reffing a college showcase soccer game a couple months ago and the whole first half the ball sounded flat. I asked the girls during a stoppage for a corner kick how they liked the ball but both teams responded it was ok. I checked it at halftime -- 3 PSI. For comparison, DA and ECNL games use a ball at 13psi and most youth tournament balls are inflated to 9psi.
Old Sun Dec 28, 2014, 08:59am
Esteemed Forum Member

Why Are Some Balls Returned, While Others Aren't ???

Here, in my little corner of Connecticut, fans are allowed to keep balls that go into the stands as souvenirs. Before every game, the officials rub about six dozen balls with Lena Blackburne Rubbing Mud. Wait? I'm being told ... What? Baseball? Never mind.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sun Dec 28, 2014, 11:57am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Bill View Post
This reminded me. We had an AAU game several years ago. The listed home team was to provide the ball. Our team had several good shooters while the other team had more of an inside game. The ball given by the home team (we were visitors) was extremely worn down. We complained, but the "home team" insisted on using that ball. We were playing by NFHS rules and the officials said that the ball was within legal range. Are there any rules regarding the condition of the ball? Thanks.
Yes.
1-12-1
1-12-1-b. It shall be spherical
12-1-c. It shall have a deeply-pebbled cover with horizontally shaped panels bonded tightly to the rubber carcass.
1-12-3
The home team shall provide a ball which meets the specifications. The referee shall be the sole judge of the legality of the ball and may select a ball provided by the visiting team.

So, I'm assuming by warn down, you mean 1-12-1c wasn't met (deeply-pebbled cover).

Problem is, "deeply-pebbled" is subjective, and if the R says it's good enough, there won't be much you can do about it at the time.
Old Sun Dec 28, 2014, 12:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
I was reffing a college showcase soccer game a couple months ago and the whole first half the ball sounded flat. I asked the girls during a stoppage for a corner kick how they liked the ball but both teams responded it was ok. I checked it at halftime -- 3 PSI. For comparison, DA and ECNL games use a ball at 13psi and most youth tournament balls are inflated to 9psi.
3? Yikes. If I had a game where the ball was at 3 we'd almost certainly have players complaining about it within the first minute of the game. I hope you switched it out at halftime.
Old Sun Dec 28, 2014, 12:45pm
Do not give a damn!!

I bring with me an air needle every time onto the court. The reason is because almost every time the ball they give us has more air than needed in the ball. I take it out even if I am not the Referee. I do the bounce test and take out air accordingly. I do not want long rebounds and want to help the ball go in the hole.

Problem solved.

Peace
Old Sun Dec 28, 2014, 12:54pm
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by La Rikardo View Post
3? Yikes. If I had a game where the ball was at 3 we'd almost certainly have players complaining about it within the first minute of the game. I hope you switched it out at halftime.
Hell yeah I did! Contrast that with the DA goalie who asked me to swap out a ball because he could "compress it with his hands". I checked that one at halftime, it was at 11.
Old Sun Dec 28, 2014, 03:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I bring with me an air needle every time onto the court. The reason is because almost every time the ball they give us has more air than needed in the ball. I take it out even if I am not the Referee. I do the bounce test and take out air accordingly. I do not want long rebounds and want to help the ball go in the hole.

Problem solved.

Peace
Same here.
Old Sun Dec 28, 2014, 04:08pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post

Problem solved.

Peace
Bingo.

Amazing how basketballs are always overinflated and footballs are always underinflated.