LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Dec 28, 2014, 06:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Yes.
1-12-1
1-12-1-b. It shall be spherical
12-1-c. It shall have a deeply-pebbled cover with horizontally shaped panels bonded tightly to the rubber carcass.
1-12-3
The home team shall provide a ball which meets the specifications. The referee shall be the sole judge of the legality of the ball and may select a ball provided by the visiting team.

So, I'm assuming by warn down, you mean 1-12-1c wasn't met (deeply-pebbled cover).

Problem is, "deeply-pebbled" is subjective, and if the R says it's good enough, there won't be much you can do about it at the time.
Thanks Adam. Yeh - I would have argued the deeply-pebbled, had I known the rule.
Old Mon Dec 29, 2014, 12:04am
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danvrapp View Post
So had a game Tuesday where, halfway through the 2nd quarter, coach A1 comments about too much air in the ball, could we take some out? My partners and I discuss this during next TO, and after the 2nd quarter ends an end we notify both coaches we'll do it during halftime. For the record, the ball was probably bouncing either slightly high, yet in the acceptable range or--depending upon your view--slightly too high to be acceptable.

No one complained about the ball the entire 2nd half.

Here's the question: Is there anything against doing this mid-game? Was this a situation where we just tell the coach "This is what we started with, this is what we'll finish with." Since the R "verified" the game ball before the game began, is there any rule against swapping it out after the game begins?

For that matter, is there ever a time (for reasons that I can not currently think of) that you WOULD/COULD switch or alter the ball after the game began?

The Rules (NFHS and NCAA Men's & Women's) specify who determines the legality of the Game Ball: It is the Referee.

Once the Game Ball has been chosen by the R there is no need to change the Game Ball unless the Game Ball becomes non-legal. A Head Coach complaining about the Game Ball is no reason for the Game Ball to be changed.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Mon Dec 29, 2014, 08:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by La Rikardo View Post
When I first started officiating basketball, coming from my background in soccer, I was caught off-guard when we were given only one ball. In soccer, multiple balls usually end up being used in any given game. NCAA rules actually require a minimum of five balls. At the amateur level, it's not at all uncommon for a team to put a ball in play that we hadn't checked as the referee crew. Often times we'll hear one or several players complain that the ball is too hard/soft, in which case we'll check it at the next stoppage and replace it if necessary.
Only cuz you're relatively new to soccer - not that long ago that soccer only permitted one ball per game .... And you are, in soccer, required to check any ball to be used in the match. Getting sloppy?