The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Dec 26, 2014, 01:28pm
Official Forum Member

Changing the ball?

So had a game Tuesday where, halfway through the 2nd quarter, coach A1 comments about too much air in the ball, could we take some out? My partners and I discuss this during next TO, and after the 2nd quarter ends an end we notify both coaches we'll do it during halftime. For the record, the ball was probably bouncing either slightly high, yet in the acceptable range or--depending upon your view--slightly too high to be acceptable.

No one complained about the ball the entire 2nd half.

Here's the question: Is there anything against doing this mid-game? Was this a situation where we just tell the coach "This is what we started with, this is what we'll finish with." Since the R "verified" the game ball before the game began, is there any rule against swapping it out after the game begins?

For that matter, is there ever a time (for reasons that I can not currently think of) that you WOULD/COULD switch or alter the ball after the game began?
Old Fri Dec 26, 2014, 01:55pm
Official Forum Member

That's a good one. Never thought of that before.

I don't disrespect the decision your crew made, mainly because you talked to both coaches about and all parties agreed.

That said, I think from a logic standpoint I would have stuck with the game ball as it was in the 1st half. Game ball integrity is alluded to in the rule that states it must remain at the table during halftime.

It's easy for the R to not take the testing of the air pressure in the game ball seriously before the game, but this is why it's important. If you don't, you may regret it when you're stuck with an out-of-specs ball for the whole game. If you do, than you can confidently tell the coach, "sorry, Coach, but we checked the ball and it's legal. We're not going to alter it now."
Old Fri Dec 26, 2014, 01:59pm
We don't rent pigs

I can't imagine this would be a problem for anybody. If you agree it has too much air, take some out, whenever that is. If you don't agree, leave it alone.

Lonesome Dove
Old Fri Dec 26, 2014, 02:09pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Had a low level game (either YMCA or AAU) once, about halfway into the first quarter, the coach throws me a ball from his bench and says we should use that instead since the other ball was low (I think). I thanked him and threw his ball back to him. The ball we were using was fine, and I wasn't going to change course.

In your case, if the ball met specs, I'd leave it alone. If not, and you hadn't addressed it previously, then I see no problem with your solution.
Old Fri Dec 26, 2014, 03:42pm
Official Forum Member

Whatever you do, dont do what a partner did to me last year. I was the R and it was partway through the first quarter and he decides during a dead ball that ball wasn't to his specs, knowing that I checked the ball before the game. I was on the other side of the court and he just went off and went to get another ball.
Old Fri Dec 26, 2014, 03:56pm
Esteemed Forum Member

And Earl Scruggs ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danvrapp View Post
For that matter, is there ever a time (for reasons that I can not currently think of) that you WOULD/COULD switch or alter the ball after the game began?
Game ball develops a leak and starts going flat.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Fri Dec 26, 2014, 03:59pm
Esteemed Forum Member

28.5 ???

Way back in the late twentieth century, when the 28.5 girls ball first came into use, we had a referee allow a 28.5 girls ball in a high school boys varsity game for a few minutes. A player eventually asked about the ball, and it was replaced with the proper boys ball.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Fri Dec 26, 2014 at 05:37pm.
Old Fri Dec 26, 2014, 04:16pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
I thanked him and threw his ball back to him.
I hope you threw it back to him like this:

Old Fri Dec 26, 2014, 04:39pm
Official Forum Member

If both teams agree, do it. If not, keep the original ball. Happened to me earlier this year (with one team not agreeing).

Had a case where the ball used in the first half was apparently NOT the "official conference basketball" so we switched at halftime (no one told us that ther was an official ball to be used)
Old Fri Dec 26, 2014, 05:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

If blood got on the ball, I would change out ball. I think this would be easier and quicker (and probably safer) than having the ball cleaned.
Old Sat Dec 27, 2014, 02:12am
Official Forum Member

When I first started officiating basketball, coming from my background in soccer, I was caught off-guard when we were given only one ball. In soccer, multiple balls usually end up being used in any given game. NCAA rules actually require a minimum of five balls. At the amateur level, it's not at all uncommon for a team to put a ball in play that we hadn't checked as the referee crew. Often times we'll hear one or several players complain that the ball is too hard/soft, in which case we'll check it at the next stoppage and replace it if necessary.

Anyway, back to basketball, to me it wouldn't seem like a big deal to switch out a ball if a player complains that it's too hard/soft. Of course, if the ball is on the end of the spectrum one way or the other, we should probably be asking the teams' guards before the game what they think before we decide to use that ball.
Old Sat Dec 27, 2014, 05:52am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by La Rikardo View Post
When I first started officiating basketball, coming from my background in soccer, I was caught off-guard when we were given only one ball. In soccer, multiple balls usually end up being used in any given game. NCAA rules actually require a minimum of five balls. At the amateur level, it's not at all uncommon for a team to put a ball in play that we hadn't checked as the referee crew. Often times we'll hear one or several players complain that the ball is too hard/soft, in which case we'll check it at the next stoppage and replace it if necessary.

Anyway, back to basketball, to me it wouldn't seem like a big deal to switch out a ball if a player complains that it's too hard/soft. Of course, if the ball is on the end of the spectrum one way or the other, we should probably be asking the teams' guards before the game what they think before we decide to use that ball.
No, we shouldn't. The rules provide for a legal range - if it meets the standards, we're using the ball. At least 80% of the time, I remove air from an overinflated ball.
Old Sat Dec 27, 2014, 09:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
At least 80% of the time, I remove air from an overinflated ball.
Do you ADD air the other 20% of the time?
Old Sat Dec 27, 2014, 09:35am
AremRed

Speaking of (game) balls and inflation pressures, is it true that if you take air out of the ball you will have fewer held balls in girls games? I'm asking for a friend.
Old Sat Dec 27, 2014, 11:09am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BoomerSooner
Quote:
Do you ADD air the other 20% of the time?
The other option is that he doesn't do anything to it 20% of the time, which may or may not be appropriate depending on how we define over-inflated. I'm guess the 80% happens when the ball doesn't conform to the required pregame inspection specifications, and the 20% of the time is when it is over-inflated by manufacturer's specifications but still passes pregame inspection requirements.

My question is why you would mess around with trying to make the ball conform to the standards (removing or adding air). Assuming I discover the situation during pregame, I would just ask for a different ball.