The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Dec 25, 2014, 09:55pm
Official Forum Member

Brainfart Situation

Situation:

A1 grabs rebound and is now on offense in his backcourt being closely guarded by B1. As he lands, A1 swings both elbows and makes flagrant contact to the side of the head of B1. Boom.. Flagrant offensive foul on A1.

How do we continue play again? Its 2 shots and the ball underneath for B1 correct?
Old Thu Dec 25, 2014, 09:59pm
Official & Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kstiles99 View Post
Situation:

A1 grabs rebound and is now on offense in his backcourt being closely guarded by B1. As he lands, A1 swings both elbows and makes flagrant contact to the side of the head of B1. Boom.. Flagrant offensive foul on A1.

How do we continue play again? Its 2 shots and the ball underneath for B1 correct?
What level? HS? Your use of the term FLAGRANT has different meanings and penalties at different levels. Not sure what you mean by "flagrant contact".
Old Thu Dec 25, 2014, 10:09pm
Do not give a damn!!

Well under the NF Rules and NCAA Men's rules, these are treated the exact same no matter the classification of the actual name of the foul.

Flagrant fouls are always taken at the spot of the foul as long as they were for live ball contact and shooting two shots in this case by the offended player. NCAA has a different rule based on if the player is injured or not, but NF the player fouled or the sub are the only ones that can shoot a FT for a flagrant/intentional fouls.

Peace
Old Thu Dec 25, 2014, 10:13pm
Official Forum Member

FED: A PC foul is a common foul. A flagrant foul is NOT a common foul.

That should lead the OP to the correct answer.

(And the concept is the same for other levels)
Old Thu Dec 25, 2014, 10:32pm
Official Forum Member

Yup. So for NFHS, procedure is:

1. Signal the foul and close down on the scene to prevent escalation or a fight. Then, if it's not 100% obvious, hold the closed fist foul signal and confer with your partners to confirm whether intentional/flagrant. If it is, give the crossed arms signal. If it was 100% obvious, you can give that signal right away. The crew should make a note of who B1 is so we get the shooter right; if you don't do this, since the procedure looks like a technical foul at first, the opposing coach might just send any old shooter to the line.

2. When reporting, there is no separate signal for flagrant, so announce it at the table, and then tell Coach A that A1 is disqualified for a flagrant foul. Start the 20 second replacement period and then get away from the table and let your partner(s) handle the rest; that's not the time for a discussion with the coach, cuz chances are he/she won't like you very much right then.

3. Since this occurred in A's backcourt, B1 (or his/her sub if B1 is injured and cannot shoot) will shoot 2 with the lane cleared under the same basket.

4. Then B gets a throw in at the spot nearest where the foul occurred, which sounds like it's under the basket on one side or the other.

I don't know as much about NCAA. This is probably a Flagrant 2 foul, but if you had a monitor I think you're required to go confirm that. Subsequent procedure is the same as NFHS for a Flagrant foul, I believe.
Old Thu Dec 25, 2014, 11:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
FED: A PC foul is a common foul. A flagrant foul is NOT a common foul.

That should lead the OP to the correct answer.

(And the concept is the same for other levels)
What's your point? Are you saying we can't have a flagrant pc foul?
Old Thu Dec 25, 2014, 11:25pm
Official Forum Member

You mean it can only be a pc foul OR a flagrant foul? One or the other right? Because if it is flagrant.. It doesn't matter who is in control of the ball, the offended player/sub gets 2 shots and the ball.
Old Thu Dec 25, 2014, 11:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Yes he is. The foul was on a player on the offense with control of the ball, this much is true. But that alone doesn't make it a PC foul because the resulting penalty enforcement for a Flagrant Foul is different. It's a definitions thing. The semantics matter, especially when taking a rules exam (every year a few T/F questions try to trip you up with along these lines, so read closely!).
Old Thu Dec 25, 2014, 11:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
That's exactly what he's saying. A PC foul is, by definition, a common foul. A flagrant foul is, by definition, NOT a common foul. Therefore, there can't be a "flagrant PC foul."
Old Thu Dec 25, 2014, 11:31pm
Official Forum Member

I think I have it now. Tell me if this is right.

It can only be a pc foul OR an intentional/flagrant foul. One or the other right? Because if it is flagrant.. It doesn't matter who is in control of the ball, the offended player/sub gets 2 shots and the ball for an inbound

Last edited by kstiles99; Thu Dec 25, 2014 at 11:54pm.
Old Thu Dec 25, 2014, 11:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I think I have it now. Tell me if this is right.

It can only be a pc foul OR a flagrant foul. One or the other right? Because if it is flagrant.. It doesn't matter who is in control of the ball, the offended player/sub gets 2 shots and the ball for an inbound
You're on the right track. In NFHS, it could also be an intentional foul, which is the same as flagrant minus the disqualification. That's a judgment on whether the contact was excessive versus savage/violent.

And to muddy the waters even more, if B1 were to retaliate and get a T, now your flagrant foul is part of a false double foul.
Old Thu Dec 25, 2014, 11:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscountry55 View Post
You're on the right track. In NFHS, it could also be an intentional foul, which is the same as flagrant minus the disqualification. That's a judgment on whether the contact was excessive versus savage/violent.

And to muddy the waters even more, if B1 were to retaliate and get a T, now your flagrant foul is part of a false double foul.
Well let's see what we'd do if this happened.

I was always taught to shoot FTs in the order the fouls occurred.

This means B1 would shoot the flagrant FTs (unless the T was his second (or 5th personal) in which case his substitute would shoot)

Then A1s sub would shoot the technicals.

Now we give the ball to team A at the division line because of technical foul procedure.
Please tell me I got all of that
Old Fri Dec 26, 2014, 01:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Well let's see what we'd do if this happened.

This means B1 would shoot the flagrant FTs (unless the T was his second (or 5th personal) in which case his substitute would shoot)

Then A1s sub would shoot the technicals.

Now we give the ball to team A at the division line because of technical foul procedure.
Please tell me I got all of that
Almost. B1 would shoot two free throws unless he was injured as a result of the foul or was disqualified for whatever reason, in which case his substitute would shoot the FTs. If there is no substitute available, any teammate may shoot the FTs as selected by the captain or head coach. Then, since B1's foul is a technical foul, any eligible A team member may shoot the two FTs (or two different shooters if they want). Then A will get a throw-in at the division line.
Old Fri Dec 26, 2014, 03:07am
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by La Rikardo View Post
Then A will get a throw-in at the division line.
Almost. Team A would get a division line throw-in opposite the table.
Old Fri Dec 26, 2014, 08:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
This is correct in NFHS. Makes it very simple to administer penalties.

Don't get confused when you watch NCAA games on TV; in the vast majority of NCAA cases, they take a break to administer the free throws for the T, then go back to the point of interruption. The exceptions are for Flagrant 2 Technicals, Contact Dead Ball Technicals, and a small number of other specific cases.