The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Dec 26, 2014, 01:45pm
Official Forum Member

I don't have an opinion. Looking at the arguments on both sides, I think we clearly have a true 50/50 call here. So the C may have either taken an educated guess, or he may have had things like matching calls and/or crew consistency on his mind. This would be based on other aspects of the game that we don't know about from a 10-second clip.

I don't think this official is going to lose any points whatsoever with his assigner. Good call in real time and he sold it well.
Old Sun Dec 28, 2014, 07:59pm
In Time Out

are you ok with this being a No Call? I just can't tell and I think I wouldn't have called anything for this play. I just think both the defender and the offensive player had equal right to the area, and I would just have let the contact happen without a foul being called.
Old Mon Dec 29, 2014, 12:08am
beware big brother

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutantducky View Post
are you ok with this being a No Call? I just can't tell and I think I wouldn't have called anything for this play. I just think both the defender and the offensive player had equal right to the area, and I would just have let the contact happen without a foul being called.

wow. I hope this philosophy works well for you. good luck.
Old Mon Dec 29, 2014, 02:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
A no call should not be one of the choices in this play. This is a foul one way or the other and should be called.
Old Tue Dec 30, 2014, 08:56am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

I'm going with Nevada's call; release was before contact.
Old Tue Dec 30, 2014, 01:59pm
In Time Out

ok, so what about incidental contact. or a play in the textbooks, when both players have an equal right the the space and the defender jumps up and the offensive player crashes into him. That could be a no-call.
I can see the same situation here, so what if the defender doesn't jump?
To me I see both players in a good position. I don't see why there needs to be a call here.
Old Tue Dec 30, 2014, 02:27pm
Eschew obfuscation.

Quote:
ok, so what about incidental contact. or a play in the textbooks, when both players have an equal right the the space and the defender jumps up and the offensive player crashes into him. That could be a no-call.
To me I see both players in a good position. I don't see why there needs to be a call here.
I usually just put videos up and let the rest of the forum decide on the play, but I got to comment here...

A no call is definitely not one of the options on this play. Block or charge, I really don't care. This is a tough play to decide on one of those, so I'm not going to set up in one camp or the other. However, you say that both players have "equal right" to the space. Then you say that the defender jumps up and the offensive player CRASHES into him. You have just told us that you SHOULD have a charge on this play by what you described. This cannot be a no call.

There are some who believe that the defender moves forward after the offensive player leaves the floor, making this a block. That's fine too. However, bodies have gone to the floor on this play, and we HAVE to have a whistle here.

Period.
Old Tue Dec 30, 2014, 02:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Didn't the offense gain an advantage? that's why there needs to be a call.

You could have a no call if the defense was legal, the offense bumped into him, the defense wasn't displaced, the offense did nothing but make the shot harder for himself....
Old Tue Dec 30, 2014, 08:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
I watched his torso the first time, and it sure looks like he's falling backwards even as his feet creep forward.
I agree. Which made it look very much to me like the defender was "bellying up" as in 4-45-6. I'll go with a block.