The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Dec 12, 2014, 01:50pm
Esteemed Participant

Hmmm...now I am wondering: If the defender leaves his man to go help out somewhere else, is he still a "primary" defender on the guy he left?

Over-thinking it???
Old Fri Dec 12, 2014, 02:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
there's no LDB in NCAAM
Maybe I've misunderstood that rule. But just how big is the LDB in NCAAW? The drive started from the free throw line. So assuming that this were NCAAW and that the defender hadn't been moving forward at the time of contact and that whatever interesting stuff about secondary primary defenders didn't apply. Would this not be a block in NCAAW? I thought it went out to the second free throw space.
Old Fri Dec 12, 2014, 02:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngump View Post
I thought it went out to the second free throw space.
It does. I didn't go back and look at the play / drive when responding to the question.
Old Fri Dec 12, 2014, 02:31pm
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Are you saying anybody who is in the RA should be a secondary defender? I'm just trying to figure out a line of delineation of when a primary defender becomes a secondary defender on the man he is guarding. If the defensive coach asks me why that wasn't the primary defender, I would not have a legitimate answer for him.
Thing is I don't know when a primary defender becomes a secondary defender or vice versa. I would like to say that any player that starts inside the RA and tries to establish position outside the RA in order to draw a charge should be considered a secondary defender. Obviously there is some common sense involved, but perhaps there should be a distance requirement for maintaining primary defender status in relation to RA plays.

As Justice Potter Stewart says, "I know a secondary defender when I see one."
Old Sat Dec 13, 2014, 09:01am
Official Forum Member

Help then comes back

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad View Post
Hmmm...now I am wondering: If the defender leaves his man to go help out somewhere else, is he still a "primary" defender on the guy he left?

Over-thinking it???
I think he is a secondary defender. When he moves over to double team the player on the low block, then comes back he is a secondary defender in my opinion. Good call, good teamwork by crew.