The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   BYU USU block charge vid request (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/98818-byu-usu-block-charge-vid-request.html)

Sharpshooternes Wed Dec 10, 2014 04:28pm

BYU USU block charge vid request

4:45 left in second half. Looks like the L has a charge but the C is coming in with information. Again, not sure what the final call was but I have a block as it appears the defense was not standing on the RA but had heels over it.

APG Wed Dec 10, 2014 04:29pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sharpshooternes (Post 946386)
4:45 left in second half. Looks like the L has the correct call but the C is coming in with information. Again, not sure what the final call was but I have a charge as it appears the defense was not standing on the RA but had heels over it.

Without seeing the play, heels over the RA=in the RA.

youngump Thu Dec 11, 2014 12:22pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by APG (Post 946387)
Without seeing the play, heels over the RA=in the RA.

The final call was a block. If someone grabs the clip stay with it long enough to get the bench conduct in reaction to it.

jeschmit Fri Dec 12, 2014 12:54am

I couldn't get the bench conduct reaction, but I was able to get the raw video that shows how the officials handled the situation (most of it anyways).

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/PgpakY6MBpk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Raymond Fri Dec 12, 2014 08:40am

The one problem with I have with this call is that the defender WAS the primary defender. A1 was the man whom he was guarding throughout the play.

AremRed Fri Dec 12, 2014 08:41am

RA block, good partner help and overturn. Curious why the new Lead went to the security guy and pointed someone out.

johnny d Fri Dec 12, 2014 10:56am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 946588)
The one problem with I have with this call is that the defender WAS the primary defender. A1 was the man whom he was guarding throughout the play.

Excellent catch. He was the primary defender therefore the RA does not matter. I wonder how often this situation with the primary defender helping and then recovering comes into play. It would be rare for any one official to be watching these two players long enough to realize this was the case.

johnny d Fri Dec 12, 2014 10:57am

Quote:

Originally Posted by AremRed (Post 946589)
RA block, good partner help and overturn. Curious why the new Lead went to the security guy and pointed someone out.

As BNR pointed out, RA should not be a factor in adjudicating this play as the defender is a primary defender. Therefore, this is not good partner help and the overturn is the wrong call.

Rob1968 Fri Dec 12, 2014 11:01am

Quote:

Originally Posted by AremRed (Post 946589)

Someone threw an object onto the court. Just before the official talks to the security guy, one of the players picks it up and tosses it off the court.

johnny d Fri Dec 12, 2014 11:02am

In newest NCAA-M video John Adams calls this play a block even if you don't think defender is in the RA. He thinks the defender is still moving forward.

SCRef1983 Fri Dec 12, 2014 11:05am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 946588)

GREAT PICKUP!! C was bringing info (which I don't mind) but L should have rebutted that it was a primary and still popped it. Plus the fact that he started inside the LDB means the RA is off.

bob jenkins Fri Dec 12, 2014 11:08am

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCRef1983 (Post 946614)
GREAT PICKUP!! C was bringing info (which I don't mind) but L should have rebutted that it was a primary and still popped it. Plus the fact that he started inside the LDB means the RA is off.

there's no LDB in NCAAM

SCRef1983 Fri Dec 12, 2014 11:17am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 946615)
there's no LDB in NCAAM

Didn't know that. Do NCAAW and thought they were the same. Always learning something new. Thanks.

AremRed Fri Dec 12, 2014 01:26pm

I realize that the defender stepping up is the primary defender, but I don't think this should matter in this situation. Am I supposed to keep track of who is guarding who at all time??

Raymond Fri Dec 12, 2014 01:31pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by AremRed (Post 946657)
I realize that the defender stepping up is the primary defender, but I don't think this should matter in this situation. Am I supposed to keep track of who is guarding who at all time??

Are you saying anybody who is in the RA should be a secondary defender? I'm just trying to figure out a line of delineation of when a primary defender becomes a secondary defender on the man he is guarding. If the defensive coach asks me why that wasn't the primary defender, I would not have a legitimate answer for him.