The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 09, 2014, 02:38pm
Official Forum Member

Team Control

As I read Mark lamenting the lack of PC fouls in he and Jr.'s games this season, it brought TC calls to my mind and was reminded that it seems like I've put a whistle on more TC fouls for illegal screens (blocking fouls) last season (and my first 2 varsity games this season) with greater frequency.

These fouls have probably always been there, but, I think the continued emphasis on "move to improve" while keeping a good angle at the C (where seeing most of these) and T while continuing to "officiate the defense" is the reason.

I'm still dumbfounded by the fact that there are some areas that still use 2 man crews or want to move from 3 back to 2 man crews. Just so much going on out there.

What are your experiences with on and off ball screening?

Last edited by #olderthanilook; Wed Dec 10, 2014 at 04:57pm.
Old Tue Dec 09, 2014, 03:47pm
Official Forum Member

In our area, we work 2-person crews in all sub-varsity games, and the lower classifications' Varsity games. It is much more difficult to get the TC/off-ball illegal picks and screens, as you mentioned, there is so much going on out there.
I work a lot of games with our newer, less experienced officials, in a mentor atmosphere. Many are working so hard to just see their on-ball and immediate area contact that it's common for some of the off-ball TC action to be missed. I'm constanly asking them to try to relax, open their field of view, etc., to help them get more of those calls.

What are some of the things you do, and say, to help newer officials develop that ability?
Old Tue Dec 09, 2014, 05:38pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Probably More One Person Games ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by #olderthanilook View Post
I'm still dumbfounded by the fact that there are some areas that still use 2 man crews?
99% of our regular season high school varsity games are two person games. 100% of our regular season subvarsity (junior varsity, freshman, middle school) games are two person games. State tournament games are two person games until the quarterfinals, and then they are three person games.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Tue Dec 09, 2014, 08:43pm
Official Forum Member

In the frozen northwoods of Upper Michigan we only have two man crews for regular season games. There are some crews that look to bring in a 3rd when available, but most stick to 2. A lot of the has to do with the lack of officials. Our association is trying to improve on both of those points. All state tournaments are 3 man.
Old Tue Dec 09, 2014, 10:11pm
This IS My Social Life

A "Read and React" Approach to Screens

Quote:
Originally Posted by #olderthanilook View Post
What are your experiences with on and off ball screening?
Reading screens and reacting with a whistle on those that are illegal -- that was a personal POE the second half of last year and all this year for me.
Officiate the defense, but don't "telescope". Still need to maintain a wide view of what's going on in the picture frame you are choosing. As offenses begin to pattern themselves, recognize when those screens are going to be set, then remain attentive to them as they develop. Predict the likely play that is about to result from a screen inside that screening "hot zone" that the C so often has right before him/her. Predict the play...not the call, of course.
Always maintain a fresh awareness of the rules differentiating a legal screen from an illegal screen so that when, in your wide view, you see the anticipated screen develop you can immediately do a "read and react" analysis on what you just saw. If illegal, bang it. If legal, be gratified you saw it coming and were able to justify the whistle you held off on.
Though by no means the best at it, that's how I'm working on it.
I'd appreciate others' perspectives and recommendations.
Old Tue Dec 09, 2014, 10:13pm
We don't rent pigs

And when you call 2 man 90+% of the time, and then add the 3rd man for the playoffs, the benefits are really, really minimized, in my opinion.

Lonesome Dove
Old Wed Dec 10, 2014, 04:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
Reading screens and reacting with a whistle on those that are illegal -- that was a personal POE the second half of last year and all this year for me.
Officiate the defense, but don't "telescope". Still need to maintain a wide view of what's going on in the picture frame you are choosing. As offenses begin to pattern themselves, recognize when those screens are going to be set, then remain attentive to them as they develop. Predict the likely play that is about to result from a screen inside that screening "hot zone" that the C so often has right before him/her. Predict the play...not the call, of course.
Always maintain a fresh awareness of the rules differentiating a legal screen from an illegal screen so that when, in your wide view, you see the anticipated screen develop you can immediately do a "read and react" analysis on what you just saw. If illegal, bang it. If legal, be gratified you saw it coming and were able to justify the whistle you held off on.
Though by no means the best at it, that's how I'm working on it.
I'd appreciate others' perspectives and recommendations.
Excellent thoughts. I really like the bold text.