The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 02, 2014, 02:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDEvol View Post
Thanks for the input. I'll definitely be checking for legal and duplicate numbers from here on out, probably even more so for sub-varsity games with these schools that likely can't afford new uniforms on a regular basis.

On a slightly different note - was running the clock last night for a MS game officiated by a different association than mine. (My wife is a teacher at this particular school and I try to help out when possible.) The referee made a point of coming to the table and signing the book to verify the score and fouls at the end of each quarter. I have never, ever seen this. I certainly don't plan on doing it; has anyone else ever heard of that?
by rule (2-5-7) the R is supposed to do so at the end of each half.

There's nothing prohibiting it at the end of each quarter -- and in a MS game where the tables are often suspect, it's probably not a bad practice.
Old Tue Dec 02, 2014, 02:43pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDEvol View Post
...The referee made a point of coming to the table and signing the book to verify the score and fouls at the end of each quarter. I have never, ever seen this. I certainly don't plan on doing it; has anyone else ever heard of that?
When I'm the 'R' verify the book(s) after each quarter, but I do not sign or initial them.
Old Tue Dec 02, 2014, 09:32pm
Official Forum Member

Verification

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
When I'm the 'R' verify the book(s) after each quarter, but I do not sign or initial them.
When you say verify, I assume you mean fouls and score match all 3 (both books and scoreboard)? I do this at the end of quarters as well. I also do it during a TO if the game is close towards the end of the game. We had an issue on a local board a couple years ago where a bug rivalry game would have gone into OT if they went by the scoreboard and visitors book. Unfortunately, the home book had the home team up by one at the end of regulation. They had to go with the home book since the officials didn't have definite knowledge.
Old Tue Dec 02, 2014, 11:02pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by RefCT View Post
When you say verify, I assume you mean fouls and score match all 3 (both books and scoreboard)? I do this at the end of quarters as well. I also do it during a TO if the game is close towards the end of the game. We had an issue on a local board a couple years ago where a bug rivalry game would have gone into OT if they went by the scoreboard and visitors book. Unfortunately, the home book had the home team up by one at the end of regulation. They had to go with the home book since the officials didn't have definite knowledge.
I will also ask them to verify with each other any players with 3 or more fouls.