Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 01, 2014, 09:49am
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altor View Post
Do they vote too?
You'd have to ask their coach, Paul Barrers. All I know is the game was less exciting than watching paint dry, or rigor mortis set in.
Old Mon Dec 01, 2014, 11:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Check local listings. The enforcement of this rule is going to vary by area at the middle school level.
This. ^^^ In my son's jr high league (CYO) there often seem to be more illegal numbers than legal -- many schools use the same jerseys for football and basketball and may have one set shared amongst multiple teams. Other leagues, I'm sure, expect actual enforcement of such rules.
Old Mon Dec 01, 2014, 11:08am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
Would you mind detailing what you do when you check the book?
  • Legal numbers
  • Duplicate numbers
  • Starters marked
  • At least as many entries as players warming up
Old Mon Dec 01, 2014, 02:15pm
beware big brother

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altor View Post
Do they vote too?
Only in Chicago
Old Mon Dec 01, 2014, 03:07pm
Official Forum Member

Post Pointing towards bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
Their provided scorer was also deaf so someone taught me the signs for 'white' and 'black' which I used when reporting fouls and timeouts.
I've seen more experienced officials in my area point to the bench of the offending player while stating the color when reporting. They say it helps when it is really noisy. I've started doing that in gyms when I can barely hear myself think.
Old Mon Dec 01, 2014, 03:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RefCT View Post
I've seen more experienced officials in my area point to the bench of the offending player while stating the color when reporting. They say it helps when it is really noisy. I've started doing that in gyms when I can barely hear myself think.
I think that's a great idea -- but in some areas you will get downgraded for doing so -- so you might want to check with others before doing so.
Old Mon Dec 01, 2014, 03:24pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
I do that too. I'm told it's not a proper mechanic. But, guess what? It's effective. I do it anyway.

Lonesome Dove
Old Mon Dec 01, 2014, 03:29pm
This IS My Social Life

The "Accusatory Point"

Quote:
The "Accusatory Point."
Our state prohibited it several years ago. Problem is, few officials, and even fewer trainers, actually got the memo. Is still found, albeit rarely, in our association.
I don't like it for another reason than the one they gave when asking us not to do it any more: point to the scorer's right and the scorer tabulates a foul on that side of his/her book; problem is the team that fouled is on the other side of the book.
Most of the time gym volume inhibits communication between officials and table when officials try to say too much. Ain't difficult for any table personnel to hear the report of a color. "Red." "White." The color, the only word actually necessary to verbalize to the table in any gym, loud or not, seems quite easy to communicate.
We really need the Eagle's opinion of this.
Old Mon Dec 01, 2014, 05:09pm
Statistician/Ref Hybrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
The "Accusatory Point."
Our state prohibited it several years ago. Problem is, few officials, and even fewer trainers, actually got the memo. Is still found, albeit rarely, in our association.
I didn't know this, either. At camp, I was told not to use the optional bird-dog when I called a foul on two players going for the ball at mid-court. But, I realized that a good preliminary signal/call (eg: "24 white with a push") is just as effective, so I had no problem with that feedback. I didn't realize the point was a no-no, though. I'll be eliminating that starting with tomorrow's games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy
Most of the time gym volume inhibits communication between officials and table when officials try to say too much. Ain't difficult for any table personnel to hear the report of a color. "Red." "White." The color, the only word actually necessary to verbalize to the table in any gym, loud or not, seems quite easy to communicate.
When I was scorer in a gym that was going to be noisy, Id often let the officials know I'd nod my head if I had the information I needed to record the foul. Plus the officials & I also made sure we had eye contact through the process. Communication is key.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy
We really need the Eagle's opinion of this.
Do we have to?

The center of attention as the lead & trail. – me
Games officiated: 525 Basketball · 76 Softball · 16 Baseball
Old Mon Dec 01, 2014, 06:57pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Short And Sweet ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
  • Legal numbers
  • Duplicate numbers
  • Starters marked
Nice list. Don't forget to put the officials names in the book.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Mon Dec 01, 2014, 07:01pm
Esteemed Forum Member

We Been Told To Enforce Illegal Numbers In Our Catholic Middle School League ...

https://forum.officiating.com/basket...tml#post912864
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Mon Dec 01, 2014, 09:20pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Nice list. Don't forget to put the officials names in the book.
Not required here. But I'll do it if either book asks.
Old Tue Dec 02, 2014, 12:23am
Back from the DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDEvol View Post
I'm wondering if a technical foul could have been prevented if we had noticed him listed as #6 in the book before the game.
Certainly. I had to deal with this very thing last year in a middle school opener. Here, we're told to enforce the uniform rules at all levels, and use tape if you have to, to make the numbers legal.

(Apology to those who have to read this story again. I'm aware that I told this before.)

As I'm checking the book, I see the numbers 6, 7, 8, and 9. I look up, and there they are, warming up. (I'm a little grumpy at myself for not noticing, as they weren't wearing warm-ups.) Long story short, the principal ordered the new uniforms, didn't know they were illegal ("I'm a hockey guy," he explained), and despite the coach telling the principal they were illegal, the team wore them anyway (likely hoping we wouldn't enforce the rules).

As I'm wracking my brain trying to figure how to tape over 6 through 9, the coach offers that last year's unis are still in the locker room. Perfect solution.

So, yes, catch these things early.
Old Tue Dec 02, 2014, 02:47am
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
  • Legal numbers
  • Duplicate numbers
  • Starters marked
Thanks BNR!
Old Tue Dec 02, 2014, 01:44pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks for the input. I'll definitely be checking for legal and duplicate numbers from here on out, probably even more so for sub-varsity games with these schools that likely can't afford new uniforms on a regular basis.

On a slightly different note - was running the clock last night for a MS game officiated by a different association than mine. (My wife is a teacher at this particular school and I try to help out when possible.) The referee made a point of coming to the table and signing the book to verify the score and fouls at the end of each quarter. I have never, ever seen this. I certainly don't plan on doing it; has anyone else ever heard of that?