The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Nov 24, 2014, 02:32am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
Why do old interpretations matter? I can't point to them in the rule/case book, so why should I be explaining to a coach that according to some interp from x years ago his team running around the opponents side of the court during warmups is a technical foul?? Can someone explain why I should care/know about old interps?
I agree with your logic completely. It is really hard to tell someone you know what you are doing when you cannot prove it to anyone, unless you see it in a very special place. Not everyone is going to come to this site to know what to do. And if you started officiating well after an interpretation, then you are at a big disadvantage. I have been saying what you have been saying for years. If the interpretations still applies, it should be in the casebook still. Otherwise we are just using a certain kind of knowledge as law in these kinds of cases.

Peace
Old Mon Nov 24, 2014, 04:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCat View Post
Thx. I guess what I believe is that this old play from the interps deals with situation where I fumble going up, regain control while in the air, intentionally drop it and then grab it on ground. When I am the first to touch it on the ground it is said that the act of dropping it was a start of dribble. Started dribble without pivot foot on floor. Travel. The explanation in your play says that while airborne, player has to release it on a try or pass. He has to have control for that which is why I believe when they add the term "drop" to your play they consider that regaining control. If you look at other plays in rule,4 you will see they also use term "drop" to mean an intentional act as opposed to a fumble.

Also, the travel rules for NFHS are understood to be same as ncaa. I believe when you fumble the ball you can recover it always. What you can do after you recover it depends...let me know what u think. Thx
No, the play ruling is simply for a player with the ball who jumps into the air and does not either pass or try for goal, yet returns to the floor with the ball. That is traveling per NFHS rules. There is no exception for loss of player control due to a fumble in this situation as there is under NCAA rules.

This principle has been around for a long, long time under NFHS rules. I debated this very play with the late Jurassic Referee several years ago and he was proven correct when Bob Jenkins was able to provide the old interpretation to support Jurassic Referee's reading of the the NFHS traveling rule 4-44-3b.

We just have to accept that the NFHS ruling is different from that of the NCAA for this specific situation.
Old Mon Nov 24, 2014, 08:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I got a fumble, not a shot attempt. He is losing it on the way up before any contact. And I would be inclined to call nothing in the scramble for the ball. But I can see a foul being called, I just probably would let the play continue.

Peace
Agreed -- it's hard to tell whether Red moved into White's landing space or displaced White when White jumped again for the ball.
Old Mon Nov 24, 2014, 12:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I agree with your logic completely. It is really hard to tell someone you know what you are doing when you cannot prove it to anyone, unless you see it in a very special place. Not everyone is going to come to this site to know what to do. And if you started officiating well after an interpretation, then you are at a big disadvantage. I have been saying what you have been saying for years. If the interpretations still applies, it should be in the casebook still. Otherwise we are just using a certain kind of knowledge as law in these kinds of cases.

Peace

i agree. i don't think the explanation in that 2000 interp really explains anything either. the travel rule on jumping just says ball has to be released on a try or pass. case book plays tell us what can be done and not done after ball is released.

i can understand why you might want that to be the rule---player fumbled going up to pass or shoot, he made mistake. say he can't touch it first. put it in the case book. what's in the case book is the play where dribbler ends his dribble, fumbles and is allowed to go get it. language says he can always retrieve fumble. why allow that and not allow shooter or passer to retrieve his fumble…
and why put one in case book and not the other…..sorry I'm rambling...
Old Mon Nov 24, 2014, 02:32pm
Official Forum Member

Ambiguity reigns, but I've got "nothing".

I could not tell what violation our ref had in the video--could not see his mechanic--was it clear to anyone else on our forum?
Old Mon Nov 24, 2014, 03:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansas Ref View Post
I could not tell what violation our ref had in the video--could not see his mechanic--was it clear to anyone else on our forum?
It sure looked like the end of an illegal dribble signal to me.
Old Mon Nov 24, 2014, 04:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
i can understand why you might want that to be the rule---player fumbled going up to pass or shoot, he made mistake. say he can't touch it first. put it in the case book. what's in the case book is the play where dribbler ends his dribble, fumbles and is allowed to go get it. language says he can always retrieve fumble. why allow that and not allow shooter or passer to retrieve his fumble…
and why put one in case book and not the other…..sorry I'm rambling...
The NFHS may change the rule to match the NCAA at some point in the future, but that hasn't happened yet.

The reason that there is a difference between this ruling and the dribble one in the NFHS Case Book is that the dribbling player has not yet lifted his pivot foot into the air. As you can read for yourself in 4-44, once a player picks up his pivot, the ball must be passed or shot. If not, by rule, a traveling violation has occurred.
Old Mon Nov 24, 2014, 05:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
The NFHS may change the rule to match the NCAA at some point in the future, but that hasn't happened yet.

The reason that there is a difference between this ruling and the dribble one in the NFHS Case Book is that the dribbling player has not yet lifted his pivot foot into the air. As you can read for yourself in 4-44, once a player picks up his pivot, the ball must be passed or shot. If not, by rule, a traveling violation has occurred.
The fumble /dribble play I am Talking about is 4.15.4. The player has dribbled. He ends the dribble and in doing so also fumbles ball several feet away. He is allowed to run and recover it. Nothing in that play about foot in air....
Old Mon Nov 24, 2014, 05:37pm
Official Forum Member

I think I see what u r saying
Old Mon Nov 24, 2014, 07:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I think I see what u r saying
I'm saying that in that Case Book play, we should understand that the player ended his dribble and then fumbled the ball BEFORE lifting his pivot foot. Thus there is no problem with the provision of the traveling rule and he may go retrieve the ball.
Old Wed Nov 26, 2014, 10:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
I'm saying that in that Case Book play, we should understand that the player ended his dribble and then fumbled the ball BEFORE lifting his pivot foot. Thus there is no problem with the provision of the traveling rule and he may go retrieve the ball.
Nevada,

Tell me what you do on the jump stop play. (the one where player ends dribble with one foot on floor, jumps and lands simultaneously on two feet. neither can be a pivot.) plz assume player touches ball with two hands just prior to the foot leaving the ground. fumbles while in air in process of ending dribble. ball goes 5 feet away. he goes and recovers. thx
Old Wed Nov 26, 2014, 11:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Nevada,

Tell me what you do on the jump stop play. (the one where player ends dribble with one foot on floor, jumps and lands simultaneously on two feet. neither can be a pivot.) plz assume player touches ball with two hands just prior to the foot leaving the ground. fumbles while in air in process of ending dribble. ball goes 5 feet away. he goes and recovers. thx
It seems to me that the player fumbled the ball before lifting his pivot foot, so the same answer would apply.
Old Wed Nov 26, 2014, 11:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
It seems to me that the player fumbled the ball before lifting his pivot foot, so the same answer would apply.
Correct. Just apply the rules as written.
Old Thu Nov 27, 2014, 12:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
lets say he fumbled the ball just after he left the ground. he didnt have a pivot foot at the time but he also wasnt required to to shoot or pass. he could come down simultaneously on both feet.

Last edited by BigCat; Thu Nov 27, 2014 at 12:11am.
Old Thu Nov 27, 2014, 09:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
lets say he fumbled the ball just after he left the ground. he didnt have a pivot foot at the time but he also wasnt required to to shoot or pass. he could come down simultaneously on both feet.
As you state, by rule he isn't required to either pass or shoot in this instance, so I don't see the problem. If you can't identify a rule which he is violating, then his action is legal.