The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Fumble or shot attempt? (Video) (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/98692-fumble-shot-attempt-video.html)

jeremy341a Sun Nov 23, 2014 09:54pm

Fumble or shot attempt? (Video)

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/qFp0sZDOe9M?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

AremRed Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:07pm

Tough play. I think it's a fumble and I would allow the player to re-gather the ball. No foul for me as the ball is still going up when contact occurs.

BigCat Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:26pm

Ball slips out of hands before any contact. Fumble. He can recover it. Can he start a dribble?

If you would call this a try he could recover and dribble for sure.

twocentsworth Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:29pm

it WOULD have been a travel IF he re-gained possession of the ball…he never did - there is no foul on the defender. The official called a travel prematurely…probably because it "looked funny" - which a lot of officials do….

BigCat Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:38pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by twocentsworth (Post 944501)
it WOULD have been a travel IF he re-gained possession of the ball…he never did - there is no foul on the defender. The official called a travel prematurely…probably because it "looked funny" - which a lot of officials do….

A player can always recover a fumble. Even when loses control going up for shot. In this case had he come down with the ball he would have been able to start a dribble since he had not done so before. Exact play is in ncaa case book. Rules are same nfhs. My two cents:)

AR 74--ncaa

AremRed Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:39pm

Quote:

Looks like the official was signalling double dribble.

Camron Rust Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:41pm

Quote:

Why?

Raymond Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:42pm

Regardless of what you call it, neither is a violation.

JRutledge Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:21pm

I got a fumble, not a shot attempt. He is losing it on the way up before any contact. And I would be inclined to call nothing in the scramble for the ball. But I can see a foul being called, I just probably would let the play continue.

Peace

Camron Rust Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:45pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 944509)
I got a fumble, not a shot attempt. He is losing it on the way up before any contact. And I would be inclined to call nothing in the scramble for the ball. But I can see a foul being called, I just probably would let the play continue.

Peace

Agree...nothing there.

Nevadaref Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:57pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigCat (Post 944503)
A player can always recover a fumble. Even when loses control going up for shot. In this case had he come down with the ball he would have been able to start a dribble since he had not done so before. Exact play is in ncaa case book. Rules are same nfhs. My two cents:)

AR 74--ncaa

You are correct for NCAA, but wrong for NFHS. The NFHS ruling is in the "past interps" thread on this forum.

SUPPLEMENT #1 (11/9/00)
SITUATION 1: A1 is an airborne shooter preparing to release the ball on a shot attempt. Instead of releasing the ball on the try, A1 fumbles the ball (while still in the air) and drops it. A1 then returns to the floor and secures possession of the ball. RULING: Traveling violation. While airborne the bail must be released for a try or pass. (4-43-3a; 9-4)

BigCat Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:26am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 944512)
You are correct for NCAA, but wrong for NFHS. The NFHS ruling is in the "past interps" thread on this forum.

Which part are you saying is wrong and do you have any idea what year of those you are talking about? You can always recover a fumble so I'd like to see the wording of the play. Thx

Nevadaref Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:30am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigCat (Post 944514)
Which part are you saying is wrong and do you have any idea what year of those you are talking about? You can always recover a fumble so I'd like to see the wording of the play. Thx

Just posted it for you.

BigCat Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:59am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 944515)
Just posted it for you.

Thx. I guess what I believe is that this old play from the interps deals with situation where I fumble going up, regain control while in the air, intentionally drop it and then grab it on ground. When I am the first to touch it on the ground it is said that the act of dropping it was a start of dribble. Started dribble without pivot foot on floor. Travel. The explanation in your play says that while airborne, player has to release it on a try or pass. He has to have control for that which is why I believe when they add the term "drop" to your play they consider that regaining control. If you look at other plays in rule,4 you will see they also use term "drop" to mean an intentional act as opposed to a fumble.

Also, the travel rules for NFHS are understood to be same as ncaa. I believe when you fumble the ball you can recover it always. What you can do after you recover it depends...let me know what u think. Thx

AremRed Mon Nov 24, 2014 01:29am

Why do old interpretations matter? I can't point to them in the rule/case book, so why should I be explaining to a coach that according to some interp from x years ago his team running around the opponents side of the court during warmups is a technical foul?? Can someone explain why I should care/know about old interps?