The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   double foul sit (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/98702-double-foul-sit.html)

AKOFL Mon Nov 24, 2014 03:00pm

double foul sit

team A has the ball when A1 and B2 commit a double foul against each other. A1's foul is ruled a common foul, and B2's foul is ruled intentional. what is the result? a question from a quiz at our local association. i may be over thinking this one. what do you think?

bballref3966 Mon Nov 24, 2014 03:45pm

POI as after any double foul. The fact that one of them was intentional does not change that (in HS).

BktBallRef Mon Nov 24, 2014 05:05pm

That's a play I'd love to see.

AremRed Mon Nov 24, 2014 05:21pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BktBallRef (Post 944635)
That's a play I'd love to see.

I had a similar play last week. Two players got locked up pushing one one another, first contact wasn't a foul for this game so I let it go. Other player comes back with a slightly harder push so I begin to call a double foul. As I make the signal while coming in, the defender (while still locked up with offensive player) kinda WWE-throws the offensive player over his back to the floor. Double foul, intentional technical, and unsporting technical for a teammate of the offensive player who came over and called the defender a "punk-ass n----" (but that's another story). If I didn't already have the double foul I would have called it a double with one being common and the other being intentional.

Nevadaref Mon Nov 24, 2014 05:31pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by AremRed (Post 944642)
I had a similar play last week. Two players got locked up pushing one one another, first contact wasn't a foul for this game so I let it go. Other player comes back with a slightly harder push so I begin to call a double foul. As I make the signal while coming in, the defender (while still locked up with offensive player) kinda WWE-throws the offensive player over his back to the floor. Double foul, intentional technical, and unsporting technical for a teammate of the offensive player who came over and called the defender a "punk-ass n----" (but that's another story). If I didn't already have the double foul I would have called it a double with one being common and the other being intentional.

Sorry, but according to your own description this penalty administration isn't right.

AremRed Mon Nov 24, 2014 05:35pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 944644)
Sorry, but according to your own description this penalty administration isn't right.

I'm saying that if I didn't already call the double foul and the same play happened (Player A1 flipping B1) I would have ruled it a double foul with one being common and one being INT. As it happens I did call a double foul on the contact previous to the flip, making the flip an intentional technical. Unless you disagree with the punishment fitting the crime?

Adam Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:18pm

Quote:

After the double foul....
Then we have a flagrant on the defender.
Then a flagrant T on the kid who couldn't keep his mouth shut.

AKOFL Tue Nov 25, 2014 08:42am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bballref3966 (Post 944619)
POI as after any double foul. The fact that one of them was intentional does not change that (in HS).

maybe its the ncaa rule that is floating around in my head then

BigCat Tue Nov 25, 2014 08:45am

Quote:

Originally Posted by AKOFL (Post 944692)
maybe its the ncaa rule that is floating around in my head then

Ncaa m when one of the fouls is flagrant you penalize the fouls individually and always the flagrant last. two shots and ball near spot of foul. There's a case book play somewhere on it....

bob jenkins Tue Nov 25, 2014 08:49am

Quote:

I had a similar play last week. Two players got locked up pushing one one another, first contact wasn't a foul for this game so I let it go. Other player comes back with a slightly harder push so I begin to call a double foul.

I think what Nevada was saying was that if the "first contact wasn't a foul" you can't penalize A by making the "slightly harder push" by B a double foul.

bob jenkins Tue Nov 25, 2014 08:53am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigCat (Post 944693)
Ncaa m when one of the fouls is flagrant you penalize the fouls individually and always the flagrant last. two shots and ball near spot of foul. There's a case book play somewhere on it....

same in NCAAW -- see AR 242, for example.