The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Nov 20, 2014, 10:32am
Often wrong never n doubt

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggravy View Post
If C would have had the illegal screen at 1:15 game time, 0:13 video time none of the rest would have mattered.
The only screen I see then is the one at the top of the key and there isn't any contact on that one. Is this the one you are referring too?
Old Thu Nov 20, 2014, 11:11am
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggravy View Post
If C would have had the illegal screen at 1:15 game time, 0:13 video time none of the rest would have mattered.
What???

You want an illegal screen call on a play where there is no contact at all? The Stanford defender ran around the screen.
Old Thu Nov 20, 2014, 11:18am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Skype™ to reffish
The lead may or may not have put the crew in the best position for this play, however, the C is responsible for the call on the shot, it is her primary. She takes a step down when the player gathers the ball and turns away from the C to shoot. I believe she would have a more open look if she had stepped to her right.
Old Thu Nov 20, 2014, 11:20am
Official Forum Member

I think the screen being referenced happened before the screen you guys are talking about. The screen #23 set after passing the ball. Looks like she slides at the last minute to set it.
Old Thu Nov 20, 2014, 12:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSCoach View Post
I think the screen being referenced happened before the screen you guys are talking about. The screen #23 set after passing the ball. Looks like she slides at the last minute to set it.
+1 illegal screen by #23
Old Thu Nov 20, 2014, 01:36pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSCoach View Post
I can buy that...except it happened at 0:11 in the video and 1:18 on the game clock - which is not the screen that was pointed out.
Old Thu Nov 20, 2014, 05:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad View Post
I can buy that...except it happened at 0:11 in the video and 1:18 on the game clock - which is not the screen that was pointed out.
I think he was just sloppy with noting the times. There were two illegal screens on this play...1:18 and again at 1:11. But the one at 1:15 was completely clean, no judgement needed.
Old Thu Nov 20, 2014, 06:41pm
Official Forum Member

No Way !!!!!

Go to any D1 try out camps ( men or women ) and call those plays illegal screens and you will have just made an official donation to that supervisor's beach house !!!!! Even if they are illegal ( and I don't think they are ) in neither case did they free up a jump shooter for an open J.......... I need something more than that for a game like that !!!!
Old Thu Nov 20, 2014, 07:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multiple Sports View Post
Go to any D1 try out camps ( men or women ) and call those plays illegal screens and you will have just made an official donation to that supervisor's beach house !!!!! Even if they are illegal ( and I don't think they are ) in neither case did they free up a jump shooter for an open J.......... I need something more than that for a game like that !!!!
Not sure what games you're watching. I see them get called often in D1 games. Not all the time, but enough.

I'd most likely pass on the one at 1:18. Is it illegal, technically, but one that could be left uncalled. However, the one at 1:11 is no where close to being legal. Even if it doesn't free up an immediate shot, it is illegal play that took the defender off the player she was guarding. The screener was running towards the screened player all the way to contact.

Now, the other part....being 1:11 left in overtime, if we've let screening similar to that go all game, that is not getting called.

Last edited by Camron Rust; Fri Nov 21, 2014 at 11:38am.
Old Thu Nov 20, 2014, 08:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multiple Sports View Post
Illegal screens are a big POE / topic in NCAAW this year. (I didn't re-watch the video to have an opinion on these specific items)
Old Fri Nov 21, 2014, 05:01am
Official Forum Member

I'm with Camron: If any of them was going to be called it was going to be the one at 1:11. They've been getting on us the past two seasons about illegal screens when the dribbler hands off to a teammate and then keeps moving into the defender who'd been guarding that teammate.

I'm also with Camron in that if it hadn't been called all night, 1:11 left in OT probably wasn't a good time to start.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Sun Nov 23, 2014, 10:48pm
Official Forum Member

In video play #1, the shooter was ABSOLUTELY fouled…looks like L and C were straight lined and the Trail (who had the best view) should have gotten this if he saw the play.

A retired NBA official-friend of mine calls this the "Moses" play. The Red Sea "parted" so that the T had the perfect/best look at the play…come and get that if you see it...
Old Mon Nov 24, 2014, 01:05am
beware big brother

Quote:
Originally Posted by twocentsworth View Post

A retired NBA official-friend of mine calls this the "Moses" play. The Red Sea "parted" so that the T had the perfect/best look at the play…come and get that if you see it...

Just what the world needs, another Ron Olesiak disciple.
Old Mon Nov 24, 2014, 01:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by twocentsworth View Post
In video play #1, the shooter was ABSOLUTELY fouled…looks like L and C were straight lined and the Trail (who had the best view) should have gotten this if he saw the play.

I'd probably let Moses take it😕
Old Mon Nov 24, 2014, 01:32am
AremRed

Lead should be rotating here. Pregame should be don't rotate under 3 seconds not 5. A lot can happen in 5 seconds and Lead has to be over there to referee that play.