The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Nov 18, 2014, 05:32pm
C'mon man!!

Uconn Stanford women's vid requestx3 (Video)

First overtime starting at 1:25, discussion about leads positioning and the non foul call at 1:09. I think if she had rotated over and had a sense of urgency, she gets that call correct and then probably has a better angle for the subsequent OOB call.
Then after the OOB is reversed after monitor review, there is a five second call that in my opinion is pretty quick. Didn't time it but my count was about 4.5
I think there is a lot of good learning points in this sequence. Thanks in advance.
Old Tue Nov 18, 2014, 05:56pm
Official Forum Member

Post +1

I'd be interesting in hearing the thoughts and seeing this replay too. I figured I used my request up for this game on the RA thread earlier.

In real-time, I though the UConn player was hit in the arm on her shot. During the relay for the OOB determination, I still thought she was hit in the arm. Hoping someone can post it to see if it really was the case or not.
Old Wed Nov 19, 2014, 05:42am
Official Forum Member

Positioning/Rotation:

Five Second:

Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Wed Nov 19, 2014, 06:28am
Official Forum Member

Looks like an easy foul to get if the L was ball side.

Still cant figure out the OOB reverse without applying quantum physics. Just can't seem see that ball being touched by white.

5-second call, I get 5.2-5.4 seconds from when the player catches the ball till the whistle.
Old Wed Nov 19, 2014, 06:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpshooternes View Post
First overtime starting at 1:25, discussion about leads positioning and the non foul call at 1:09. I think if she had rotated over and had a sense of urgency, she gets that call correct and then probably has a better angle for the subsequent OOB call.
Check the shot-clock. It was in single digits when the ball went opposite the L and settled. They probably discussed in their pregame that they wouldn't rotate when the shot-clock is under a certain number so she stayed.

Quote:
Then after the OOB is reversed after monitor review, there is a five second call that in my opinion is pretty quick. Didn't time it but my count was about 4.5
I think there is a lot of good learning points in this sequence. Thanks in advance.
Looks fine to me. Thrower has it at her disposal at 0:08 on the clip and still has it at 0:13.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Wed Nov 19, 2014, 07:43am
AremRed

Play 1: Lead should have rotated, but C could have got this foul if she stepped into the court to get the angle. Neither Lead nor C showed any sense of urgency on this play, they're kinda just lounging around. I don't really care about the missed OOB, Lead knew they were going to the monitor but had to point some direction. She's immediately signalling to review so it doesn't matter anyway.

Play 2: 5 second violation.
Old Wed Nov 19, 2014, 09:55am
Official Forum Member

Just to add to the comments regarding the L rotating: The Women's CCA Manual says we should lock down when the game or shot-clock is near five seconds. There was no reason for her to go until there was about seven on the shot-clock and at that point it doesn't make sense to move.
Old Wed Nov 19, 2014, 10:07am
Do not give a damn!!

If that is the mechanic, it is not a good mechanic. She should have gotten over to the other side of the lane IMO, a lot long before that time frame.

And I think this might have been a foul. The angle was not great, but it would have been a better look for the Lead if they had rotated to the other side of the floor.

Peace
Old Wed Nov 19, 2014, 10:50am
Official Forum Member

JMF is right: we're not supposed to be rotating at the end of a shot clock sequence (5 sec or less). My comment would be that the L is working too wide to effectively officiate the paint. She's standing at or just outside the LDB line on the floor.

I know they want us working wider as L this year and it's something I'm struggling to adjust to ... but if she would have closed down or even pinched the paint a bit she may have been more inclined to put a whistle on this play, even if it was a late one.

Then again, maybe not. As I watch the replay, the shooter and defender are clearly on C's side of the lane ... it may be she's simply trusting her partner to work her primary.
Old Wed Nov 19, 2014, 11:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWMOzebra View Post
JMF is right: we're not supposed to be rotating at the end of a shot clock sequence (5 sec or less). My comment would be that the L is working too wide to effectively officiate the paint. She's standing at or just outside the LDB line on the floor.

I know they want us working wider as L this year and it's something I'm struggling to adjust to ... but if she would have closed down or even pinched the paint a bit she may have been more inclined to put a whistle on this play, even if it was a late one.

Then again, maybe not. As I watch the replay, the shooter and defender are clearly on C's side of the lane ... it may be she's simply trusting her partner to work her primary.
And, even if she rotates, she might not be looking up high enough to see the contact on the outside arm.
Old Wed Nov 19, 2014, 04:46pm
C'mon man!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
And, even if she rotates, she might not be looking up high enough to see the contact on the outside arm.
On that particular play, and any play that has a shot like that we should be looking at feet for 2 or 3, then shift to point of contact which on these jump shots is going to be elbow to wrist, and then focus our attention to feet again to make sure the shooter has a spot to land.
I think if the lead is on the strong side on this play, that should be the only thing they should be looking at.
Old Wed Nov 19, 2014, 04:50pm
C'mon man!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWMOzebra View Post

What is the Men's mechanic for low shot clock rotations? I don't really like the mechanic. I think you need to get to the best spot for the best angle, regardless of the time on the clock. And actually in this case at this point of the game, you HAVE to get this call right. I think this was a game changer that got missed because they lost possession and instead should have been shooting two.
Old Wed Nov 19, 2014, 05:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
What is the Men's mechanic for low shot clock rotations? I don't really like the mechanic. I think you need to get to the best spot for the best angle, regardless of the time on the clock. And actually in this case at this point of the game, you HAVE to get this call right. I think this was a game changer that got missed because they lost possession and instead should have been shooting two.
They didn't lose possession because of the no-call. The got the ball back for a throw-in after the video replay. They then lost possession after a 5 second count.

Granted, I agree that no-call and the charge call were big plays for Stanford. UConn didn't lose because of these 2 calls though.
Old Wed Nov 19, 2014, 11:41pm
Official Forum Member

One thing I will say -- there was probably no reason for the L to be on that side of the court in the first place.

The sequence starts with a throw-in in front of UConn's bench with 1:31 remaining after a time-out, meaning the L would have been doubling the table side sideline with the T. The clip picks up with UConn #4 dribbling between the circles. During the entire sequence the ball never settles beyond the FT lane line extended opposite the table but the L began rotating literally two seconds after the ball came inbounds. If she held her position she's right in front of everything when the shot takes place.
Old Thu Nov 20, 2014, 01:49am
Official Forum Member

If C would have had the illegal screen at 1:15 game time, 0:13 video time none of the rest would have mattered.