The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Nov 03, 2014, 03:40pm
Official Forum Member

Backcourt

I have been reading posts for a year now. Thanks for all the knowledge I have gained from this site. I had to break down and get a login.

A1 is dribbling in his backcourt near the division line. As he looks to coach for instructions, he dribbles the ball off his leg (interrupted dribble). The ball moves forward just across the division line. If A1 picks the ball up while still having backcourt status (one or both feet), is this a violation? Reference 4-4-1 and 4-4-2 and 9-9-1 and 9-9-2 but I am struggling with this one.
Old Mon Nov 03, 2014, 03:51pm
Official Forum Member

Welcome aboard rookie!!!!

As part of the program, you will be assigned Billy Mac as your mentor. He will critique your posts and add constructive criticism and feedback ( just like a game)....

After the 90 day probationary period, you will be given full membership status.....
Old Mon Nov 03, 2014, 04:07pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Man View Post
I have been reading posts for a year now. Thanks for all the knowledge I have gained from this site. I had to break down and get a login.

A1 is dribbling in his backcourt near the division line. As he looks to coach for instructions, he dribbles the ball off his leg (interrupted dribble). The ball moves forward just across the division line. If A1 picks the ball up while still having backcourt status (one or both feet), is this a violation? Reference 4-4-1 and 4-4-2 and 9-9-1 and 9-9-2 but I am struggling with this one.
The question you have to ask yourself: Is there Player Control during an interrupted dribble?

(I hope I do not offend Billy Mac or anybody without a rule book)
Old Mon Nov 03, 2014, 04:13pm
Official Forum Member

No player control … but there is team control.
Old Mon Nov 03, 2014, 04:14pm
Official Forum Member

Welcome. Great question too ... I would say no violation, but I'm curious to hear what others have. My thinking is:

1) An interupted dribble does not end the dribble: 4-15-4 lists the 5 ways a dribble ends (interupted dribble is not one of them).
2) 4-4-6 states that while dribbling, the ball is in the backcourt until both feet and the ball are in the front court.
3) 9-9-1 and 9-9-2 don't apply because there is no player control during an interupted dribble
Old Mon Nov 03, 2014, 04:28pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokiePaul View Post
Welcome. Great question too ... I would say no violation, but I'm curious to hear what others have. My thinking is:

1) An interupted dribble does not end the dribble: 4-15-4 lists the 5 ways a dribble ends (interupted dribble is not one of them).
2) 4-4-6 states that while dribbling, the ball is in the backcourt until both feet and the ball are in the front court.
3) 9-9-1 and 9-9-2 don't apply because there is no player control during an interupted dribble
If there is no player control during an interrupted dribble, wouldn't the ball then have front court status once it touched the front court?

(I haven't looked anything up yet, I'm just discussing different aspects right now)
Old Mon Nov 03, 2014, 04:32pm
Official Forum Member

I applied my initial thoughts to that of a 10 second count. If A1 throws a lob to A2 when the count is at 9, it is a 10 second violation. If A1 throws a bounce pass the ball gains front court status on the bounce. Team control.
Old Mon Nov 03, 2014, 04:35pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokiePaul View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Man View Post
I applied my initial thoughts to that of a 10 second count. If A1 throws a lob to A2 when the count is at 9, it is a 10 second violation. If A1 throws a bounce pass the ball gains front court status on the bounce. Team control.
Putting these 2 post together Paul, are you saying you would continue your 10 second count if the ball touched the Front Court after getting away from A1 during an interrupted dribble?
Old Mon Nov 03, 2014, 04:35pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
The question you have to ask yourself: Is there Player Control during an interrupted dribble?

(I hope I do not offend Billy Mac or anybody without a rule book)
Player control isn't relevant here.

I have to admit, the OP is a question I've asked myself before too.
During a dribble from BC to FC, all three points must gain FC status before a BC call can be considered. Does "during a dribble" include the time while the dribble was interrupted? I'd have to say yes, as nothing has "ended" that dribble yet. So, I've got no-call.

Now, if a teammate or opponent touches it, the dribble has ended and that could affect the ruling.
Old Mon Nov 03, 2014, 04:38pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Player control isn't relevant here.

I have to admit, the OP is a question I've asked myself before too.
During a dribble from BC to FC, all three points must gain FC status before a BC call can be considered. Does "during a dribble" include the time while the dribble was interrupted? I'd have to say yes, as nothing has "ended" that dribble yet. So, I've got no-call.

Now, if a teammate or opponent touches it, the dribble has ended and that could affect the ruling.
So, to exaggerate the situation: Your count has reached 6, then interrupted dribble rolls in the front court parallel to the division line for 5 seconds. Are you calling a 10 second backcourt violation?
Old Mon Nov 03, 2014, 04:41pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
So, to exaggerate the situation: Your count has reached 6, then interrupted dribble rolls in the front court parallel to the division line for 5 seconds. Are you calling a 10 second backcourt violation?
Interesting point. I think that call would be easier to justify for me with the rules, but I'm not married to that answer.
Old Mon Nov 03, 2014, 05:43pm
Official Forum Member

Interesting question.

With the rules as written, I think I could probably argue both sides....

1. That it is still during a dribble so the ball remains in the BC and, as a result, the dribbler can still pick up the ball and the 10 count continues.

or

2. That "during" a dribble is referring to it being actively dribbled, not during an the interruption. The interruption is more of a suspension of the dribble, not having ended but not "during" it either.

I think that what it boils down to is that these rules were never written with this set of events in mind and anything we decide is really an opinion of interpretation rather than anything concrete.

Now, what would I do? Hmmm. I'm not sure. Maybe I'll just call a travel.
Old Mon Nov 03, 2014, 10:19pm
We don't rent pigs

The OP is a violation. When we say an interrupted dribble has not ended, the only significance is that it may be resumed by the dribbler without a violation. A ball which is not in player control has frontcourt status when it touches the frontcourt. If the dribbler catches the ball or resumes the dribble while he is touching the backcourt, violation.

Lonesome Dove
Old Mon Nov 03, 2014, 11:49pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
The OP is a violation. When we say an interrupted dribble has not ended, the only significance is that it may be resumed by the dribbler without a violation. A ball which is not in player control has frontcourt status when it touches the frontcourt. If the dribbler catches the ball or resumes the dribble while he is touching the backcourt, violation.
Do you have rule references for the parts in red?
Old Tue Nov 04, 2014, 12:34am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Do you have rule references for the parts in red?
4-15-5: There is no player control during an interrupted dribble.

Therefore, where is the ball?

4-4-2: A ball which is in contact with the court is in frontcourt if the ball is not touching the backcourt.

4-12-2c: A team is in control during an interrupted dribble.

Ball in team control was caused to go into frontcourt and now is returned to backcourt.

Violation. 9-9-2

Lonesome Dove