The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Backcourt (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/98591-backcourt.html)

Valley Man Mon Nov 03, 2014 03:40pm

Backcourt

I have been reading posts for a year now. Thanks for all the knowledge I have gained from this site. I had to break down and get a login.

A1 is dribbling in his backcourt near the division line. As he looks to coach for instructions, he dribbles the ball off his leg (interrupted dribble). The ball moves forward just across the division line. If A1 picks the ball up while still having backcourt status (one or both feet), is this a violation? Reference 4-4-1 and 4-4-2 and 9-9-1 and 9-9-2 but I am struggling with this one.

Multiple Sports Mon Nov 03, 2014 03:51pm

Welcome aboard rookie!!!!

As part of the program, you will be assigned Billy Mac as your mentor. He will critique your posts and add constructive criticism and feedback ( just like a game)....

After the 90 day probationary period, you will be given full membership status.....

Raymond Mon Nov 03, 2014 04:07pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Valley Man (Post 942913)
I have been reading posts for a year now. Thanks for all the knowledge I have gained from this site. I had to break down and get a login.

A1 is dribbling in his backcourt near the division line. As he looks to coach for instructions, he dribbles the ball off his leg (interrupted dribble). The ball moves forward just across the division line. If A1 picks the ball up while still having backcourt status (one or both feet), is this a violation? Reference 4-4-1 and 4-4-2 and 9-9-1 and 9-9-2 but I am struggling with this one.

The question you have to ask yourself: Is there Player Control during an interrupted dribble?

(I hope I do not offend Billy Mac or anybody without a rule book)

Valley Man Mon Nov 03, 2014 04:13pm

No player control … but there is team control.

HokiePaul Mon Nov 03, 2014 04:14pm

Welcome. Great question too ... I would say no violation, but I'm curious to hear what others have. My thinking is:

1) An interupted dribble does not end the dribble: 4-15-4 lists the 5 ways a dribble ends (interupted dribble is not one of them).
2) 4-4-6 states that while dribbling, the ball is in the backcourt until both feet and the ball are in the front court.
3) 9-9-1 and 9-9-2 don't apply because there is no player control during an interupted dribble

Raymond Mon Nov 03, 2014 04:28pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by HokiePaul (Post 942918)
Welcome. Great question too ... I would say no violation, but I'm curious to hear what others have. My thinking is:

1) An interupted dribble does not end the dribble: 4-15-4 lists the 5 ways a dribble ends (interupted dribble is not one of them).
2) 4-4-6 states that while dribbling, the ball is in the backcourt until both feet and the ball are in the front court.
3) 9-9-1 and 9-9-2 don't apply because there is no player control during an interupted dribble

If there is no player control during an interrupted dribble, wouldn't the ball then have front court status once it touched the front court?

(I haven't looked anything up yet, I'm just discussing different aspects right now)

Valley Man Mon Nov 03, 2014 04:32pm

I applied my initial thoughts to that of a 10 second count. If A1 throws a lob to A2 when the count is at 9, it is a 10 second violation. If A1 throws a bounce pass the ball gains front court status on the bounce. Team control.

Raymond Mon Nov 03, 2014 04:35pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by HokiePaul (Post 942918)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Valley Man (Post 942923)
I applied my initial thoughts to that of a 10 second count. If A1 throws a lob to A2 when the count is at 9, it is a 10 second violation. If A1 throws a bounce pass the ball gains front court status on the bounce. Team control.

Putting these 2 post together Paul, are you saying you would continue your 10 second count if the ball touched the Front Court after getting away from A1 during an interrupted dribble?

Adam Mon Nov 03, 2014 04:35pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 942916)
The question you have to ask yourself: Is there Player Control during an interrupted dribble?

(I hope I do not offend Billy Mac or anybody without a rule book)

Player control isn't relevant here.

I have to admit, the OP is a question I've asked myself before too.
During a dribble from BC to FC, all three points must gain FC status before a BC call can be considered. Does "during a dribble" include the time while the dribble was interrupted? I'd have to say yes, as nothing has "ended" that dribble yet. So, I've got no-call.

Now, if a teammate or opponent touches it, the dribble has ended and that could affect the ruling.

Raymond Mon Nov 03, 2014 04:38pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 942926)
Player control isn't relevant here.

I have to admit, the OP is a question I've asked myself before too.
During a dribble from BC to FC, all three points must gain FC status before a BC call can be considered. Does "during a dribble" include the time while the dribble was interrupted? I'd have to say yes, as nothing has "ended" that dribble yet. So, I've got no-call.

Now, if a teammate or opponent touches it, the dribble has ended and that could affect the ruling.

So, to exaggerate the situation: Your count has reached 6, then interrupted dribble rolls in the front court parallel to the division line for 5 seconds. Are you calling a 10 second backcourt violation?

Adam Mon Nov 03, 2014 04:41pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 942927)
So, to exaggerate the situation: Your count has reached 6, then interrupted dribble rolls in the front court parallel to the division line for 5 seconds. Are you calling a 10 second backcourt violation?

Interesting point. I think that call would be easier to justify for me with the rules, but I'm not married to that answer.

Camron Rust Mon Nov 03, 2014 05:43pm

Interesting question.

With the rules as written, I think I could probably argue both sides....

1. That it is still during a dribble so the ball remains in the BC and, as a result, the dribbler can still pick up the ball and the 10 count continues.

or

2. That "during" a dribble is referring to it being actively dribbled, not during an the interruption. The interruption is more of a suspension of the dribble, not having ended but not "during" it either.

I think that what it boils down to is that these rules were never written with this set of events in mind and anything we decide is really an opinion of interpretation rather than anything concrete.

Now, what would I do? Hmmm. I'm not sure. Maybe I'll just call a travel. :eek:

just another ref Mon Nov 03, 2014 10:19pm

The OP is a violation. When we say an interrupted dribble has not ended, the only significance is that it may be resumed by the dribbler without a violation. A ball which is not in player control has frontcourt status when it touches the frontcourt. If the dribbler catches the ball or resumes the dribble while he is touching the backcourt, violation.

Adam Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:49pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by just another ref (Post 942951)
The OP is a violation. When we say an interrupted dribble has not ended, the only significance is that it may be resumed by the dribbler without a violation. A ball which is not in player control has frontcourt status when it touches the frontcourt. If the dribbler catches the ball or resumes the dribble while he is touching the backcourt, violation.

Do you have rule references for the parts in red?

just another ref Tue Nov 04, 2014 12:34am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 942956)
Do you have rule references for the parts in red?

4-15-5: There is no player control during an interrupted dribble.

Therefore, where is the ball?

4-4-2: A ball which is in contact with the court is in frontcourt if the ball is not touching the backcourt.

4-12-2c: A team is in control during an interrupted dribble.

Ball in team control was caused to go into frontcourt and now is returned to backcourt.

Violation. 9-9-2