The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Nov 02, 2014, 05:16am
Official Forum Member

Question Dirbbling FIBA rule interpretation

In the official rule book I came across this

During a dribble the ball may be thrown into the air provided the ball touches the
floor or another player before the player who threw it touches it again with his hand.
There is no limit to the number of steps a player may take when the ball is not in
contact with his hand

Does this mean, A1 can throw the ball forward, take several steps, before the ball bounces and after the ball bounces touch/catch it? Isn't this a violation?
Old Sun Nov 02, 2014, 06:30am
Official Forum Member

if after they toss the ball and hits the floor and or a player, they can either continue dribbling or catch the ball without violating. Now if they catch the ball then dribble, this would be a double dribble.
Old Sun Nov 02, 2014, 12:58pm
Official Forum Member

Legal play....there are no rules on the direction the ball has to go on a dribble even though the traditional dribble has the the ball always going down.

The NFHS rule's wording is slightly different and I think it is also what the FIBA rule you cite is intending to say.

Since your rule says, "during a dribble", that means there is some element that can occur even after the dribble has started. In the case of the NFHS, with its slightly different wording, it is also legal for a player to bat (but not throw) the ball UP (into the air) with their hand underneath as long as they let it hit the floor or another player before touching it again.
Old Mon Nov 03, 2014, 08:59am
Official Forum Member

There is no limit on steps per dribble so regardless of height or direction of the release of the ball to begin dribble the player is considered to be dribbling. Number of steps between touches is not an issue until they gather the ball again.

Me: Thanks, but why the big rush.

Coach: Oh I thought you must have a big date . . .we're not the only ones your planning on F$%&ing tonite are we!
Old Mon Nov 03, 2014, 09:03am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by harsha_nails View Post
Does this mean, A1 can throw the ball forward, take several steps, before the ball bounces and after the ball bounces touch/catch it? Isn't this a violation?
Why would you think this is a violation?
Old Mon Nov 03, 2014, 09:49am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
You can't pass the ball to yourself. Everybody knows that.

Lonesome Dove
Old Mon Nov 03, 2014, 10:16am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
You can't pass the ball to yourself. Everybody knows that.
And they called it in Hoosiers!
Old Mon Nov 03, 2014, 12:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Well, because I have never seen anyone do it in the NBA/international basketball

Consider this:

1. Team A initiates a fast break and A1 receives the ball just before the half court line. There is one transition defender B1 ahead of A1
2. Why doesn't A1 just throw the ball forward towards the basket, beat B1 with pace, catch it after one bounce and finish the lay up? I mean this is considerably easier to do than dribble all the way and use skill to beat the defender, isn't it?
Old Mon Nov 03, 2014, 01:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Well, because I have never seen anyone do it in the NBA/international basketball

Consider this:

1. Team A initiates a fast break and A1 receives the ball just before the half court line. There is one transition defender B1 ahead of A1
2. Why doesn't A1 just throw the ball forward towards the basket, beat B1 with pace, catch it after one bounce and finish the lay up? I mean this is considerably easier to do than dribble all the way and use skill to beat the defender, isn't it?
As noted by SNIPERBBB AND Cameron, above, that initial throw of the ball constitutes the start of a dribble. If A1 then catches the ball, it is the end of that dribble, and pivot foot limitations/travelling limitations come into consideration.
If A1 continues the dribble, without catching the ball, such action is legal. If, after catching the ball, A1 starts a new dribble, the dribble limitations - double dribble rules - are in consideration by the covering official.
Old Mon Nov 03, 2014, 01:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob1968 View Post
As noted by SNIPERBBB AND Cameron, above, that initial throw of the ball constitutes the start of a dribble. If A1 then catches the ball, it is the end of that dribble, and pivot foot limitations/travelling limitations come into consideration.
If A1 continues the dribble, without catching the ball, such action is legal. If, after catching the ball, A1 starts a new dribble, the dribble limitations - double dribble rules - are in consideration by the covering official.
I get the rule, but I have never seen it in a real game

So as per the rule, what people do in the dunk contest- throw it up, run, catch it after a bounce and dunk it; is a LEGAL play. Right?
Old Mon Nov 03, 2014, 01:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Consider this:

I have seen it, just not at the distance you suggest, however. I've seen players toss it ahead 10-15 feet on more then one occasion and continue the dribble from there....just not all the way to the basket. The precision needed to get it to the basket area and catch up to it in time to finish a shot would probably be too difficult in the heat of a game.
Old Mon Nov 03, 2014, 04:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I get the rule, but I have never seen it in a real game

So as per the rule, what people do in the dunk contest- throw it up, run, catch it after a bounce and dunk it; is a LEGAL play. Right?
Well, as I stated, once the player catches the ball, then the limitations on starting another dribble/
foot movement/pivot foot/travelling come into consideration.

Dunk contests have no such rules -- travelling is not a consideration in a dunk contest, and it is quite often observed that the dunker travels in his approach, but nobody cares, in that enviroment . . .
Old Mon Nov 03, 2014, 05:17pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Anybody Got A Problem With This ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
The precision needed to get it to the basket area and catch up to it in time ...
In a high school game?

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue Nov 04, 2014 at 05:45pm.
Old Mon Nov 03, 2014, 05:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Nope. Explicitly legal by a case play somewhere.
Old Mon Nov 03, 2014, 08:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Nope. Explicitly legal by a case play somewhere.
New to the forum. I have enjoyed reading it from time to time. Thought I'd join to throw two cents worth in...thx for having me.

I don't think this play is in the case books. A try for field goal is defined as an attempt by a player to score 2 or 3 points by throwing ball in his own basket....player is trying for goal if he has the ball and "in officials judgment" he is throwing or attempting to throw for goal.

In the video the player ends his dribble, throws the ball off the backboard and catches it without it touching another player.

If you, the referee, believe this was a try then when he catches it off the backboard it is a legal rebound. However, if you determine that it is not an attempt to score but simply a pass to himself then the player violates when he touches the ball before anyone else off the board. I don't believe there is any rule or play providing that any ball thrown by the offense against its backboard is always a try.

If there is a case book play please let me know. I would say that I wouldnt call the violation unless it was really, really obvious to all that it was a pass and not a try. I think the video shows a violation.

I wouldn't have processed this quick enough had it happened to me in a game. Having seen the play and the question I hope I will remember it in the future. Again, if I'm wrong and there's a case book play please let me know. Thx