The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Oct 28, 2014, 11:59am
Official Forum Member

Non-typical / Interesting Calls Made Recently?

Has anyone made any non-typical, un-common, and/or interesting calls recently?

While reffing an adult league game on Saturday, I called a technical foul on a defensive player B1 who reached thru the end line plane and made contact with the ball while A1 was holding it and attempting a throw in under B1's pressure. It was a close game--call made in last 3 minutes of game.

Coach approached me during the FT administration near scorer table, looking quizzical and asked "hey ref, don't we get a warning first, ai'nt the first call a warning?" I replied, " we don't issue warnings for violations, and that type of violation is well-known in the game". He fumed and walked away, accepting the call but was clearly upset/miffed. Fans were equally [and predictably] baffled and became riotous. Any of you made non-typical calls recently that you can describe?

Last edited by Kansas Ref; Tue Oct 28, 2014 at 12:02pm.
Old Tue Oct 28, 2014, 12:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansas Ref View Post
Coach approached me during the FT administration near scorer table, looking quizzical and asked "hey ref, don't we get a warning first, ai'nt the first call a warning?" I replied, " we don't issue warnings for violations, and that type of violation is well-known in the game".
But, on a similar play (reaching through without touching) you do get a warning.

So, I would have answered along the lines of "If you reach through and don't touch the ball, you get the warning. But, once you make contact, it's an immediate T."
Old Tue Oct 28, 2014, 02:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
But, on a similar play (reaching through without touching) you do get a warning.

So, I would have answered along the lines of "If you reach through and don't touch the ball, you get the warning. But, once you make contact, it's an immediate T."
*Point well-taken bobjenkin...you are so "courteous" with the coaches.
Old Tue Oct 28, 2014, 02:45pm
Official Forum Member

Interesting Play

Pre-Season high school league.
Incoming substitute (A6) was walking to the table during a live ball. The ball went bouncing towards the sideline off of B team and A6 touches the live ball. He did not catch the ball "on purpose" but more out of a reaction. B1 had a chance to make a play on the ball before it went out of bounds.
I conferred with my partner and we awarded the ball to the B team for a sidline throw-in.

Things we considered since we did not know the exact rule: intent, advantage gained, bench personnel.

Thoughts??
Old Tue Oct 28, 2014, 02:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjc3 View Post
Pre-Season high school league.
Incoming substitute (A6) was walking to the table during a live ball. The ball went bouncing towards the sideline off of B team and A6 touches the live ball. He did not catch the ball "on purpose" but more out of a reaction. B1 had a chance to make a play on the ball before it went out of bounds.
I conferred with my partner and we awarded the ball to the B team for a sidline throw-in.

Things we considered since we did not know the exact rule: intent, advantage gained, bench personnel.

Thoughts??
Was A6 standing out of bounds? If so, and the ball touches him, the ball is out of bounds at that point. B caused the ball to go OOB, so give A the throw-in.
Old Tue Oct 28, 2014, 03:06pm
Official Forum Member

A6 was out of bounds, but B1 would have been able to save the ball. A6 took away B1's advantage by grabbing the ball right in front of him.
Old Tue Oct 28, 2014, 03:15pm
NFHS Official

Quote:
A6 was out of bounds, but B1 would have been able to save the ball. A6 took away B1's advantage by grabbing the ball right in front of him.
Doesn't matter. A's ball.
Old Tue Oct 28, 2014, 03:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
You don't know what would have happened if A6 had not touched the ball (from normal reaction - not intent to change the play - those are your words). You only said that B1 had a chance to make a play. How do you know B1 wouldn't have fumbled the ball out of bounds anyway? Regardless, it doesn't matter. What actually happened is the only thing that matters. What didn't happen is irrelevant.
Old Tue Oct 28, 2014, 04:11pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks for sharing @ wcj3.
Old Tue Oct 28, 2014, 04:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
You don't know what would have happened if A6 had not touched the ball (from normal reaction - not intent to change the play - those are your words). You only said that B1 had a chance to make a play. How do you know B1 wouldn't have fumbled the ball out of bounds anyway? Regardless, it doesn't matter. What actually happened is the only thing that matters. What didn't happen is irrelevant.
+1

Quote:
The coaches may accept that explanation but many don't know the rules. Your assignor won't/shouldn't because there's no rule to support what you did.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Tue Oct 28, 2014, 04:27pm
Esteemed Forum Member

A Person Is Not An Object ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by zm1283 View Post
Was A6 standing out of bounds? If so, and the ball touches him, the ball is out of bounds at that point.
Just a reminder, if a player, holding, or dribbling, the ball, accidentally touches A6 (who is standing out of bounds), that is not an out of bounds violation. I believe that the same thing is true if a player, holding, or dribbling, the ball, accidentally touches a coach, a cheerleader, a fan, the police officer in the corner, etc. If said player accidentally touches my seeing eye dog, who is out of bounds, then that's a different story.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Tue Oct 28, 2014, 04:51pm
Official Forum Member

Follow up

Thanks for the rules clarification.
But what if a bench player purposely got off the bench and interfered with the play?
What would you have then?
Technical foul for unsporting conduct?
Old Tue Oct 28, 2014, 05:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Thanks for the rules clarification.
But what if a bench player purposely got off the bench and interfered with the play?
What would you have then?
Technical foul for unsporting conduct?
Certainly...but that is completely different.
Old Tue Oct 28, 2014, 06:15pm
AremRed

Let's see...

I too called a tech for reaching across the plane and contacting the ball this summer.

Partner explained a call to a coach, partner turned away to run to Lead and coach waved him off behind his back. I saw it, coach got whacked.

Partner rung up a coach and I went to Lead tableside to administer the FT's. Sure enough the kid bricked the first one and it bounced right to the freshly whacked coach. As I was walking toward him to get the ball he threw it to my partner across the court. Wish I could say I tossed him but I didn't

Had a play where a player ran OOB along the endline and came back into the corner, received a pass, and nailed a three. Didn't call it.

Had a held ball off the opening tip before team control had been established. Re-jumped with the players involved in the held ball.

Kid threw the ball at me over his shoulder; on purpose. He got DQ'd.
Old Wed Oct 29, 2014, 09:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
Let's see...

I too called a tech for reaching across the plane and contacting the ball this summer.

*Glad to see that!

Partner explained a call to a coach, partner turned away to run to Lead and coach waved him off behind his back. I saw it, coach got whacked.

*Great crew unity!

Partner rung up a coach and I went to Lead tableside to administer the FT's. Sure enough the kid bricked the first one and it bounced right to the freshly whacked coach. As I was walking toward him to get the ball he threw it to my partner across the court. Wish I could say I tossed him but I didn't

*Ohhh if I only had enough space here to list all of my "regrets/second-thoughts" over the years....thanks for sharing.

Had a play where a player ran OOB along the endline and came back into the corner, received a pass, and nailed a three. Didn't call it.

*You patiently observed the play from start, progression, completion and nailed it!

Had a held ball off the opening tip before team control had been established. Re-jumped with the players involved in the held ball.

*quite rare occurrence!

Kid threw the ball at me over his shoulder; on purpose. He got DQ'd.

*a bit Harsh, no? but hey they players/coaches prolly had you well-pissed off by that time I sure!
thank for sharing