The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Non-typical / Interesting Calls Made Recently? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/98564-non-typical-interesting-calls-made-recently.html)

Kansas Ref Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:59am

Non-typical / Interesting Calls Made Recently?

Has anyone made any non-typical, un-common, and/or interesting calls recently?

While reffing an adult league game on Saturday, I called a technical foul on a defensive player B1 who reached thru the end line plane and made contact with the ball while A1 was holding it and attempting a throw in under B1's pressure. It was a close game--call made in last 3 minutes of game.

Coach approached me during the FT administration near scorer table, looking quizzical and asked "hey ref, don't we get a warning first, ai'nt the first call a warning?" I replied, " we don't issue warnings for violations, and that type of violation is well-known in the game". He fumed and walked away, accepting the call but was clearly upset/miffed. Fans were equally [and predictably] baffled and became riotous. Any of you made non-typical calls recently that you can describe?

bob jenkins Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:30pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kansas Ref (Post 942523)
Coach approached me during the FT administration near scorer table, looking quizzical and asked "hey ref, don't we get a warning first, ai'nt the first call a warning?" I replied, " we don't issue warnings for violations, and that type of violation is well-known in the game".

But, on a similar play (reaching through without touching) you do get a warning.

So, I would have answered along the lines of "If you reach through and don't touch the ball, you get the warning. But, once you make contact, it's an immediate T."

Kansas Ref Tue Oct 28, 2014 02:30pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 942524)
But, on a similar play (reaching through without touching) you do get a warning.

So, I would have answered along the lines of "If you reach through and don't touch the ball, you get the warning. But, once you make contact, it's an immediate T."

*Point well-taken bobjenkin...you are so "courteous" with the coaches.

wjc3 Tue Oct 28, 2014 02:45pm

Interesting Play

Pre-Season high school league.
Incoming substitute (A6) was walking to the table during a live ball. The ball went bouncing towards the sideline off of B team and A6 touches the live ball. He did not catch the ball "on purpose" but more out of a reaction. B1 had a chance to make a play on the ball before it went out of bounds.
I conferred with my partner and we awarded the ball to the B team for a sidline throw-in.

Things we considered since we did not know the exact rule: intent, advantage gained, bench personnel.

Thoughts??

zm1283 Tue Oct 28, 2014 02:51pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by wjc3 (Post 942532)
Pre-Season high school league.
Incoming substitute (A6) was walking to the table during a live ball. The ball went bouncing towards the sideline off of B team and A6 touches the live ball. He did not catch the ball "on purpose" but more out of a reaction. B1 had a chance to make a play on the ball before it went out of bounds.
I conferred with my partner and we awarded the ball to the B team for a sidline throw-in.

Things we considered since we did not know the exact rule: intent, advantage gained, bench personnel.

Thoughts??

Was A6 standing out of bounds? If so, and the ball touches him, the ball is out of bounds at that point. B caused the ball to go OOB, so give A the throw-in.

wjc3 Tue Oct 28, 2014 03:06pm

A6 was out of bounds, but B1 would have been able to save the ball. A6 took away B1's advantage by grabbing the ball right in front of him.

OKREF Tue Oct 28, 2014 03:15pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by wjc3 (Post 942535)
A6 was out of bounds, but B1 would have been able to save the ball. A6 took away B1's advantage by grabbing the ball right in front of him.

Doesn't matter. A's ball.

Smitty Tue Oct 28, 2014 03:36pm

Quote:

You don't know what would have happened if A6 had not touched the ball (from normal reaction - not intent to change the play - those are your words). You only said that B1 had a chance to make a play. How do you know B1 wouldn't have fumbled the ball out of bounds anyway? Regardless, it doesn't matter. What actually happened is the only thing that matters. What didn't happen is irrelevant.

Kansas Ref Tue Oct 28, 2014 04:11pm

Thanks for sharing @ wcj3.

JetMetFan Tue Oct 28, 2014 04:13pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smitty (Post 942539)
You don't know what would have happened if A6 had not touched the ball (from normal reaction - not intent to change the play - those are your words). You only said that B1 had a chance to make a play. How do you know B1 wouldn't have fumbled the ball out of bounds anyway? Regardless, it doesn't matter. What actually happened is the only thing that matters. What didn't happen is irrelevant.

+1

Quote:

The coaches may accept that explanation but many don't know the rules. Your assignor won't/shouldn't because there's no rule to support what you did.

BillyMac Tue Oct 28, 2014 04:27pm

A Person Is Not An Object ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by zm1283 (Post 942533)
Was A6 standing out of bounds? If so, and the ball touches him, the ball is out of bounds at that point.

Just a reminder, if a player, holding, or dribbling, the ball, accidentally touches A6 (who is standing out of bounds), that is not an out of bounds violation. I believe that the same thing is true if a player, holding, or dribbling, the ball, accidentally touches a coach, a cheerleader, a fan, the police officer in the corner, etc. If said player accidentally touches my seeing eye dog, who is out of bounds, then that's a different story.

wjc3 Tue Oct 28, 2014 04:51pm

Follow up

Thanks for the rules clarification.
But what if a bench player purposely got off the bench and interfered with the play?
What would you have then?
Technical foul for unsporting conduct?

Camron Rust Tue Oct 28, 2014 05:59pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by wjc3 (Post 942553)
Thanks for the rules clarification.
But what if a bench player purposely got off the bench and interfered with the play?
What would you have then?
Technical foul for unsporting conduct?

Certainly...but that is completely different.

AremRed Tue Oct 28, 2014 06:15pm

Let's see...

I too called a tech for reaching across the plane and contacting the ball this summer.

Partner explained a call to a coach, partner turned away to run to Lead and coach waved him off behind his back. I saw it, coach got whacked.

Partner rung up a coach and I went to Lead tableside to administer the FT's. Sure enough the kid bricked the first one and it bounced right to the freshly whacked coach. As I was walking toward him to get the ball he threw it to my partner across the court. Wish I could say I tossed him but I didn't :(

Had a play where a player ran OOB along the endline and came back into the corner, received a pass, and nailed a three. Didn't call it. :mad:

Had a held ball off the opening tip before team control had been established. Re-jumped with the players involved in the held ball.

Kid threw the ball at me over his shoulder; on purpose. He got DQ'd.

Kansas Ref Wed Oct 29, 2014 09:42am

Quote:

Originally Posted by AremRed (Post 942557)
Let's see...

I too called a tech for reaching across the plane and contacting the ball this summer.

*Glad to see that!

Partner explained a call to a coach, partner turned away to run to Lead and coach waved him off behind his back. I saw it, coach got whacked.

*Great crew unity!

Partner rung up a coach and I went to Lead tableside to administer the FT's. Sure enough the kid bricked the first one and it bounced right to the freshly whacked coach. As I was walking toward him to get the ball he threw it to my partner across the court. Wish I could say I tossed him but I didn't :(

*Ohhh if I only had enough space here to list all of my "regrets/second-thoughts" over the years....thanks for sharing.

Had a play where a player ran OOB along the endline and came back into the corner, received a pass, and nailed a three. Didn\'t call it. :mad:

*You patiently observed the play from start, progression, completion and nailed it!

Had a held ball off the opening tip before team control had been established. Re-jumped with the players involved in the held ball.

*quite rare occurrence!

Kid threw the ball at me over his shoulder; on purpose. He got DQ\'d.

*a bit Harsh, no? but hey they players/coaches prolly had you well-pissed off by that time I sure!

thank for sharing