The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Apr 16, 2010, 09:31pm
Official Forum Member

Made some bad calls today, just need to vent..

I just finished working two games today, a mid-school game that went great but the second game, a high school freshman game a disaster. My worst game. Vented to my umpire mentor on the phone for 45 minutes afterwards and plate umpire told me to let it go, that I'm learning
This game felt all the more bitter because it was my wife's high school where she works and know some of the players on the team.
We had five calls the home team complained about that went against them. Twice a batter was called out for letting go of his bat too early, the second time the batter let go of the bat and it struck the plate umpire in the mask.
The coach complained to me that this was the worst umpiring he had ever seen, that I was working with the worst umpire in the city.
Then my calls. A wayyy too close to call play at first base where I learned I should have appealed to home plate. The second call was a missed tag between second and third, I didn't have the angle, said the tag was missed but fortunately hadn't signaled yet, so I was able to appeal to the plate umpire who called the runner out.
The coach said some things to me I didn't like, like "you just made two blown calls in one inning" I told him I had one overturned for him.
The game went o.k. until the last inning, last play of the game, a steal at second I was right there to make the call shortstop was in front of the bag, totally blocking the runner, I called him out, thought the ball was in his mitt.
Base runner said the ball popped out of his mitt, first base coach said it was out of his mitt, that this was the worst officiating game ever, cussed at us several times - it was the end of the game so he couldn't be ejected. I told him maybe he could see it from his angle but from my angle it looked like an out. Indeed the first base coach did have the better angle, he had a clearer view of the play even though I was right next to it but if the ball popped out it was on the opposite side of, totally blocked by the players and dust.
This is where I learned to say, "Show me the ball." (Next time I will, I learned something alright).
It all happened too fast, there was no time to think, the call was made too quickly.
Right after that the shortstop threw home, got the runner out and it was a game ending double-play. Final score was 17-3.
I felt awful, still feel down about it, like I said this is my wife's school, go there every day and will have to confront these guys again.
A lot to learn but I love this game.
Old Fri Apr 16, 2010, 09:56pm
Official Forum Member

17-3? I have this itchy feeling "bad officiating" didn't cost them the game!!! If it makes them feel better to blame you, let 'em.

You learned something, maybe a few things - that's a good day. You mention several things to learn from.

Last edited by ManInBlue; Fri Apr 16, 2010 at 09:59pm.
Old Fri Apr 16, 2010, 10:13pm
Official Forum Member

Twice a batter was called out for letting go of his bat too early, the second time the batter let go of the bat and it struck the plate umpire in the mask.

What?
Old Fri Apr 16, 2010, 10:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by artar View Post
Then my calls. A wayyy too close to call play at first base where I learned I should have appealed to home plate. The second call was a missed tag between second and third, I didn't have the angle, said the tag was missed but fortunately hadn't signaled yet, so I was able to appeal to the plate umpire who called the runner out.
Read the thread on appealing to other umpires. As you stated, you are learning. Learn to hustle, get the angles, and make your own calls.

Twice in one game you are appealing calls that you should make on your own.
Don't make the PU bail you out.

Keep it up, we all learned from our mistakes, just don't make the same ones again.

Thanks
David
Old Fri Apr 16, 2010, 10:51pm
Official Forum Member

Basically the batter let go of his bat before completely following through his swing. I'm not sure what happened with the first batter but the second one just let his bat go too early and it struck the umpire in the mask - he was called out for doing so.
I know the PU has other things to watch and hated to bother him, although he did say to appeal to him if I was unsure of a call.
Since this is only my first year and that was my 7th gatime, I'm just going to stick with middle school instead of high school for the rest of this year or until I get a better feel for my duties as an umpire. Next game is Wednesday.
Old Fri Apr 16, 2010, 10:56pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Basically the batter let go of his bat before completely following through his swing. I'm not sure what happened with the first batter but the second one just let his bat go too early and it struck the umpire in the mask - he was called out for doing so.
I know the PU has other things to watch and hated to bother him, although he did say to appeal to him if I was unsure of a call.
Since this is only my first year and that was my 7th gatime, I'm just going to stick with middle school instead of high school for the rest of this year or until I get a better feel for my duties as an umpire. Next game is Wednesday.
Too bad you're a new umpire paired with an obviously poor umpire. Try not to emulate people like this unless you want to become someone like him.
Old Sat Apr 17, 2010, 06:52am
Official Forum Member

Don't sweat it, even veterans have bad days. That bad feeling goes away by the next game you do. Try to learn from your mistakes. Concentrate on practicing something that you have learned at every game. Buy some good books on umpire mechanics and rules interpretations. Seek out good umpires to work with and to discuss game issues. Read the forums, this one, ABUA and Umpire Empire. Have a thick skin when you hear negative feedback. All of those bad habits will eventually shake themselves out and you will become a good umpire. Every umpire has been there and done that. Stick with it.

Last edited by Forest Ump; Sat Apr 17, 2010 at 06:55am.
Old Sat Apr 17, 2010, 06:57am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to rcaverly
Quote:
My worst game…
Quote:
Since this is only my first year and that was my 7th gatime…
It’s good to get your “worst game” over early. Someday, when you’re behind the plate in game six of the ALCS, or working 2B in your state’s championship, you can think back to that game knowing that what you learned then helped get you to where you wanted to be right now.
Old Sat Apr 17, 2010, 07:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
While you're in learn mode, try finding a rule that allows an out for throwing (unsafe release) of a bat.
Old Sat Apr 17, 2010, 07:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Ives View Post
While you're in learn mode, try finding a rule that allows an out for throwing (unsafe release) of a bat.
In his gentle and nurturing way, Rich is suggesting that NFHS rules do not permit the PU to call an out for the batter throwing the bat. You can warn each batter who does it and then eject the second time, but no rule supports calling an out for this.

Your assignor is probably trying to get you to work some HS games to get you ready to move up. Don't get discouraged by a bad game: sometimes those lower level games have all the weird stuff happen, and they're actually harder to officiate than a varsity game.

You need to keep working up at the highest level you can: this is the only way to move up. And keep working on your mechanics and rules knowledge: this is the only reason to move you up.

A few bad calls do not lead to a 17-3 outcome, so you didn't determine the winner of your bad game. Make a written list of your lessons learned, and review it before your next time out. Then don't worry about it, call a great game, and put this stinker behind you.

We've all been there, and all you can do is have a great next game.
Old Sat Apr 17, 2010, 09:41am
Official Forum Member

Two things,

Don't make up rules unless you know there in the book, (read it).

You are expected to be perfect your first game and get better from then on.

PS: OK, now that your done sulking, get back to studying your mechanics and rules and go out and give them hell.

Welcome and Good Luck
Old Sat Apr 17, 2010, 01:42pm
Official Forum Member

I didn't get much sleep last night from that bad game - I spent my time, yes sulking and writing out a game report. Surely if a coach had five bad calls in a game against his team he is going to complain to our umpire and state association and probably send evaluaters out to my next game, so I'm getting my rebuttal together just in case and just work at that the next game, especially "Show me the ball.

I will work on everything that has been commented here.

Thank you! I guess this has all been baptism by fire.

You're right that often the younger the leagues are the harder the game can be to call, so much slopiness and turning my head like an owl.
Old Sat Apr 17, 2010, 02:29pm
Official Forum Member

Classic Case of Bigump56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Ives View Post
Twice a batter was called out for letting go of his bat too early, the second time the batter let go of the bat and it struck the plate umpire in the mask.

What?
I worked a summer LL league where the best hitter on a team did this in virtually every at bat of the season. Fortunately, the bat never hit the catcher or PU in a majority of those cases. I was shocked to see a coach argue in defense of his hitter when the hitter was ejected from one ball game. The young man was batting cleanup, but he never learned how to safely handle a bat. An injury to the plate umpire or catcher by an inexpeienced hitter who doesn't get as much instruction about handling a bat should be a concern to everyone. Unfortunately, for whatever reason, grown adults choose not to do anything about it.

I can only imagine the kid continued to do the same thing for the rest of his JV games throughout the city. The rules do not consider the batter's actions severe enough to warrant a harsher penalty than an immediate substitution, ala ejection. Oh. I forgot to mention that the substitute was much faster, usually stole 2B on the next pitch, and never batted cleanup either. I wonder how many other catchers and umpires were struck by the same flying bat.

Last edited by SAump; Sun Apr 18, 2010 at 02:56pm.
Old Sat Apr 17, 2010, 06:23pm
I drank what?

Send a message via MSN to w_sohl
You can eject after the game is over...

and should have if he was cussing you.
Old Sat Apr 17, 2010, 06:34pm
Official Forum Member

In my gentle, mentoring way, let me suggest that:
  • Until you learn the rules
  • Until you learn proper timing
  • Until you learn proper mechanics
  • Until you learn to get your own calls