Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Sep 22, 2014, 02:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PG_Ref View Post
Is this the rule in question?
NCAA: 9-4
Art. 1. A player who steps out of bounds under his own volition and then becomes the first player to touch the ball after returning to the playing court has committed a violation.

a. A violation has not been committed when a player, who steps out of bounds as permitted by Rule 7-4.6.b, does not receive the pass along the end line from a teammate and is the first to touch the ball after his return to the playing court.
I agree that this rule is different from the HS equivalent (in HS, it's *supposed to be* an immediate violation to run OOB on your own volition).

This rule, though, has nothing to do with the OP, and nothing to do with "establishing" back inbounds.

I can see where it might be part of the confusion for some.
Old Mon Sep 22, 2014, 07:46pm
I got a Basketball Jones!

I see this most frequently not by officials wrongly using NCAA rules but by those who are hung up on football principles, i.e., failing to get BOTH feet inbounds.
Old Mon Sep 22, 2014, 07:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justacoach View Post
I see this most frequently not by officials wrongly using NCAA rules but by those who are hung up on football principles, i.e., failing to get BOTH feet inbounds.
That and I'd also attribute (especially with fans and players) to the fact that in the NBA, in certain situations, a player can not be the first to touch the ball after going out of bounds and coming back in.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Mon Sep 22, 2014, 10:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
Why does everyone keep asking about this? The rule and case play are clear. I don't see the confusion.
Sorry if I offended you.

It was my first post. I didn't know others had kept asking.
Old Mon Sep 22, 2014, 10:35pm
Official Forum Member

Case book? What's a case book?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillblind View Post
Case book play 7.1.1 Situation C is your play almost verbatim. Legal
While most of us who officiate as a profession have multiple books a newer ref or someone who refs a small league may not be aware it exists. At least they're coming here for advice and to learn.
Old Mon Sep 22, 2014, 10:40pm
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chairman7w View Post
Sorry if I offended you.

It was my first post. I didn't know others had kept asking.
No, my apologies to you. There have been a couple threads on this topic in the past couple months so I was curious what the deal was. Are you here as an official or just a curious mind?
Old Mon Sep 22, 2014, 10:53pm
Official Forum Member

Had this same situation in a training game tonight on an inbounds play. Was on sidelines with a new ref watching the game before his when a girl was pushed out of bounds (no foul called). She immediatly came back in and got the inbounds pass. New ref had lots of questions about the whole sequence which is why it's important to go over theses things again and again.
Old Tue Sep 23, 2014, 12:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
No, my apologies to you. There have been a couple threads on this topic in the past couple months so I was curious what the deal was. Are you here as an official or just a curious mind?
Rec league player. Nobody seemed to know the rule, it was pretty funny. My opinion ended up being right, thanks to you guys, but I didn't know for sure.
Old Tue Sep 23, 2014, 12:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Rec league player. Nobody seemed to know the rule, it was pretty funny. My opinion ended up being right, thanks to you guys, but I didn't know for sure.
Went in doubt, shoot for the ball. Ball don't lie.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Wed Sep 24, 2014, 09:19am
Official Forum Member

Observer

The negative responses that are posted on here are the exact reason I never post. Many new refs with valid questions are getting slammed and embarrassed. In our D2 mens meeting this weekend, it was said, dont forget where you came from, thank the one(s) that got you to where you are now and help the new guy/gals.
Old Wed Sep 24, 2014, 09:41am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinP View Post
The negative responses that are posted on here are the exact reason I never post. Many new refs with valid questions are getting slammed and embarrassed. In our D2 mens meeting this weekend, it was said, dont forget where you came from, thank the one(s) that got you to where you are now and help the new guy/gals.
One relatively negative response, and that response was (correctly, I think) summarily dismissed. And quite frankly, THAT response was really minor compared to anything you'll find on the court, even from some partners who are trying to be helpful.

I had considered simply deleting that response, but decided against it and use it to offer encouragement to the OP.
Old Wed Sep 24, 2014, 11:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
I will also add that the rules on this in other sports are different, and some (especially non-officials) try to transfer the rules (or guidelines) from one sport to another.
I was just about to say, I really have always believed the confusion on this rule is because of football OOB and re-establishing rules
Old Wed Sep 24, 2014, 11:18am
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinP View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
One relatively negative response, and that response was (correctly, I think) summarily dismissed. And quite frankly, THAT response was really minor compared to anything you'll find on the court, even from some partners who are trying to be helpful.

I had considered simply deleting that response, but decided against it and use it to offer encouragement to the OP.
My "negative" response was not to slam OP for asking a simple question; I was a new official here a couple years ago, was slammed a little (gently), and would not want to pass that on to anyone. I was simply curious about why this question seems to come up so often (a couple threads on it this year), but my post's tone came off harsher than I intended.

As the mods can attest, I am not in a habit of shaming those who ask questions and welcome any questions you might have in the future KevinP!
Old Wed Sep 24, 2014, 12:02pm
Official Forum Member

Just by way of curiousity. Would you consider a player who side steps or angles away from contact to have gone out voluntarily? Or are you allowing them the quick step on the line/out of bounds to avoid a collision or bump?

Me: Thanks, but why the big rush.

Coach: Oh I thought you must have a big date . . .we're not the only ones your planning on F$%&ing tonite are we!
Old Wed Sep 24, 2014, 01:25pm
Official Forum Member

Anytime Chair......

Quote:
Chair,

Feel free to start a thread anytime.....it makes our job easier when all players know the rules.