The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 18, 2013, 01:07am
Official Forum Member

Running out of bounds and back in

Could someone lead me to the rule of how of how to handle a player running out of bounds intentionally? I know it is illegal to leave the court on purpose, but I have never seen this play called a violation. It usually occurs on the baseline with players running the baseline with the ball in play, or with an inbound pass about to occur? Does it matter if they get the ball or not?

Any experience with this call?
Old Fri Jan 18, 2013, 01:19am
Official Forum Member

9-3-3

The act of running OOB for an unauthorized reason use to be a T.

The rule was changed to just a violation....NFHS wanted this called, and thought with just a violation it would be.

Still do not see it called much...but, had a partner warn players the other night (in a BV game) for running OOB, their frontcourt endline, and ended up calling a violation for it.

The coach didn't really like the call...but, P told coach he had warned them previously.
Richland, WA
Old Fri Jan 18, 2013, 05:10am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicodork View Post
My P called it the other night.

In-bounding situation on the endline - he was L administering TI and I was T (chopping the clock of course ). A1 set up a screen near the end line which A2 took advantage of and ran approximately 10' out of bounds along the endline, all the way across the lane behind the basket to get away from B2. P blew it dead.

I didn't really see it, but my P called it and I relayed it to the Coach who was behind me when he asked, "what was the call?" He didn't mind so much as he was up by ~15 at the time.

Hadn't seen it that much, although I do recall watching a BJV game once and recall it whistled on back-to-back plays!
Old Fri Jan 18, 2013, 06:32am
Official Forum Member

In NCAA, it's a violation only if the player who ran OOB is the first (next) to touch the ball after s/he returns.
Old Fri Jan 18, 2013, 07:44am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicodork View Post
Could someone lead me to the rule of how of how to handle a player running out of bounds intentionally? I know it is illegal to leave the court on purpose, but I have never seen this play called a violation. It usually occurs on the baseline with players running the baseline with the ball in play, or with an inbound pass about to occur? Does it matter if they get the ball or not?

Called it this year and the coach went bonkers and then tried to twist it so that the distance traveled wasn't that far. Completely across the key, coach, is far. To his credit, we spoke after the game about the issue. He said other schools do it too. I said I'd watch them for it as well. But he is known to bend the rules more than any coach I've seen. Most other coaches don't even try to bend the rules in our area.
Old Fri Jan 18, 2013, 08:38am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
My P called it the other night.

In-bounding situation on the endline - he was L administering TI and I was T (chopping the clock of course ). A1 set up a screen near the end line which A2 took advantage of and ran approximately 10' out of bounds along the endline, all the way across the lane behind the basket to get away from B2. P blew it dead.
Different rule, assuming A2 went out on the same endline as the throw in.
Old Fri Jan 18, 2013, 10:44am
Official Forum Member

Much like 3-seconds, I'll yell at the player the first time, and talk to the coach at a TO or FT if I get a chance. And, if they get an advantage (receive the ball after running OOB, etc), then I'll call it immediately.
Old Fri Jan 18, 2013, 10:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
In NCAA, it's a violation only if the player who ran OOB is the first (next) to touch the ball after s/he returns.
Do you take off your hat and leave it on the court where the player went out like in football?
Old Fri Jan 18, 2013, 10:52am
Official Forum Member

You will see this happen... Usually happens when offense is running a baseline cutter off a screen at the block. Sometimes the defender will hedge low and so the offensive player will just run out of bounds to avoid the help defender.

I tell the player not to do it again during the first dead ball and that has always worked for me.
Old Fri Jan 18, 2013, 11:50am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by RookieDude View Post
9-3-3

The act of running OOB for an unauthorized reason use to be a T.

The rule was changed to just a violation....NFHS wanted this called, and thought with just a violation it would be.

Still do not see it called much...but, had a partner warn players the other night (in a BV game) for running OOB, their frontcourt endline, and ended up calling a violation for it.

The coach didn't really like the call...but, P told coach he had warned them previously.
I called it for the first time last year in an off-season game of some sort.
Old Fri Jan 18, 2013, 11:55am
Official Forum Member

This is a clear case of the defense gaining an unfair advantage.

I handle it the same way as Tio and others have mentioned. Which is how I would handle a "carry", for example.
Old Fri Jan 18, 2013, 12:09pm
C'mon man!!

Can someone clarify the administration of the last case play?

9.3.3 SITUATION C:

A1 and A2 set a double screen near the end line. B3 intentionally goes out of bounds outside the end line to avoid being detained by A1 and A2. Just as B3 goes out of bounds, A3's try is in flight.

RULING: B3 is called for a leaving-the-floor violation. Team A will receive the ball out of bounds at a spot nearest to where the violation occurred. Since the violation is on the defense, the ball does not become dead until the try has ended. If the try is successful, it will count. (6-7-9 Exception d)

If the try is good but you have already called the violation, does A get the basket AND the ball back or does B get the ball as after a made basket and ignore the whistled violation?
Old Fri Jan 18, 2013, 12:11pm
Official Forum Member

"A" gets the basket and the ball. Never seen it called, probably never will.
Old Fri Jan 18, 2013, 12:14pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpshooternes View Post

9.3.3 SITUATION C:

A1 and A2 set a double screen near the end line. B3 intentionally goes out of bounds outside the end line to avoid being detained by A1 and A2. Just as B3 goes out of bounds, A3's try is in flight.

RULING: B3 is called for a leaving-the-floor violation. Team A will receive the ball out of bounds at a spot nearest to where the violation occurred. Since the violation is on the defense, the ball does not become dead until the try has ended. If the try is successful, it will count. (6-7-9 Exception d)

If the try is good but you have already called the violation, does A get the basket AND the ball back or does B get the ball as after a made basket and ignore the whistled violation?
It's one of those case plays that you should know well just so you never call it.
Old Fri Jan 18, 2013, 12:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpshooternes View Post

9.3.3 SITUATION C:

A would get the ball.

Also, put this in the same category as a multiple foul...don't call it.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.