The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Apr 08, 2014, 09:35pm
Official Forum Member

Does look back re-establish after a fake throw?

Runners on 2nd and 3rd, 2 outs. Coach sends R2 on pitch but holds R3 hoping for the defense to play on R2 so he can send R3 home. F1 doesn't bite, fakes a throw to F5. R3 fake starts toward home, stops, F1 lowers the ball to her thigh and just looks at R3. R3 pauses for a second then takes a step back toward 3rd, then stops again. Was the LBR re-established after the fake throw when F1 held the ball at her thigh and just looked at R3?
Old Tue Apr 08, 2014, 10:54pm
Statistician/Ref Hybrid

If I'm reading NFHS 8-7-Exception correctly, a fake throw on one runner releases all other runners.

Quote:
EXCEPTION: The runner will not be declared out if a play is made on another runner (a fake throw is considered a play), the pitcher no longer has possession of the ball within the 16-foot circle, or the pitcher releases the ball on a pitch to the batter.

The center of attention as the lead & trail. – me
Games officiated: 525 Basketball · 76 Softball · 16 Baseball
Old Tue Apr 08, 2014, 10:57pm
Official Forum Member

Why wouldnt it reset if after the fake throw attempt the pitcher does nothing? If it didnt, then after a fake throw the runners could just stand around or play games. Yes, when the pitcher fakes the throw all runners are released, but as soon as the pitcher is no longer attempting a play the lookback rule is back in effect and each runner has 1 stop and reversal again.
Old Tue Apr 08, 2014, 11:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck chopper View Post
I don't think the R/S or the rule itself addresses a re-establishment. I would like to think it is not back on until the runner is back on the bag.
The R/S doesn't need to and the rule is clear. The look-back rule is on (after a pitch) when the pitcher has possession (ASA,FED) and control (ASA) of the ball in the circle. The look-back rule is off if the pitcher makes a play (including a fake throw) on any runner. It's back on when the pitcher is no longer making a play. If it were not back on after a fake throw, the runners could dance between the bases until the cows come home.

Last edited by Crabby_Bob; Tue Apr 08, 2014 at 11:03pm.
Old Wed Apr 09, 2014, 07:21am
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTQ_Blue View Post
Runners on 2nd and 3rd, 2 outs. Coach sends R2 on pitch but holds R3 hoping for the defense to play on R2 so he can send R3 home. F1 doesn't bite, fakes a throw to F5. R3 fake starts toward home, stops, F1 lowers the ball to her thigh and just looks at R3. R3 pauses for a second then takes a step back toward 3rd, then stops again.
At that moment, R3 is out for violating the LBR.

Quote:
Was the LBR re-established after the fake throw when F1 held the ball at her thigh and just looked at R3?
Yes. The moment F1 is no longer makin a play on any runners (and she certainly wasn't when she lowered the ball), the runners are obligated to meet their LBR requirements.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Wed Apr 09, 2014, 10:12am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Runners on 2nd and 3rd, 2 outs. Coach sends R2 on pitch but holds R3 hoping for the defense to play on R2 so he can send R3 home. F1 doesn't bite, fakes a throw to F5. R3 fake starts toward home, stops, F1 lowers the ball to her thigh and just looks at R3. R3 pauses for a second then takes a step back toward 3rd, then stops again. Was the LBR re-established after the fake throw when F1 held the ball at her thigh and just looked at R3?
Yes, it reestablishes after the fake throw.

West Houston Mike
Old Wed Apr 09, 2014, 01:24pm
Official Forum Member

So based upon the feedback here, I think I made the right call, R3 out. As can happen when I'm not absolutely 100% certain of the rule when I make a call, I was thinking about whether I called it right and it distracted my focus afterwards until I had a couple of close plays that I got right (emphatically) which pulled my head back into the game. So I need to work on putting that kind of situation out of my mind so I'm fully tuned in for the rest of the game. The sit I described was in the first inning.
Old Thu Apr 10, 2014, 04:29pm
Official Forum Member

Just to add to what others have said.

Yes, it does re-establish; BUT, don't be in trigger-happy mode the instant she drops her arm. Give the runners a reasonable amount of reaction time (based on the level of play, too) to realize there is no play being made before expecting an "immediate" reaction.