The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Sep 07, 2014, 06:56pm
Ok is the new good

AD Gets Involved

During USC football game yesterday AD Pat Haden runs down from press box to chat with the officials about calls being made..

Anyone have an AD come out of the stands and get involved with your game by talking about calls being made?
Old Sun Sep 07, 2014, 10:14pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Rookie View Post
Anyone have an AD come out of the stands and get involved with your game by talking about calls being made?
By "AD" do you mean an A**HOLE DAD? Yeah, plenty of times.
Old Mon Sep 08, 2014, 12:37am
Courageous When Prudent

I know a D1 school whose president has come down to the courtside to berate officials.
Old Mon Sep 08, 2014, 06:13am
Esteemed Forum Member

Victoria Principal ...

I had an encounter with a the principal of a technical high school who was standing, watching the game, on an endline with little room between the boundary line, and the wall. He was interfering with my movement as the lead. I politely asked him to move into the corner. He refused, telling me that he was the principal, and that the school was his, and that he would stand anywhere he wanted. I replied that, although the school was his, I was in charge of the court, and the safety of the participants on that court, and that he had better move or I would stop the game until he moved.

He moved.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Mon Sep 08, 2014, 08:28am
Official Forum Member

Two moments come to mind:

1. This past summer during camp in DC the tournament-sponsored scorer was MIA at game time for a playoff game. Since NCAA coaches would be watching they wanted to game to start on time so the deep-pocketed financier of one of the teams decided to handle the scorebook/sheet. The guy was/is known for standing behind the scorer's table during games and giving his own "commentary" but our observer told us as long as he was quiet let him do it. Apart from vigorously shaking his head "no" after I called a PC on one of his team's girls things were quiet.

2. (circa 1999-2000 school year) Officiating at a Catholic school in NYC with an extremely small court. Both benches are at one end with the scorer's table in between. A person standing behind the table was shouting about virtually every call. I would have summoned GM...except it was GM. Specifically, the Brother - collar and all - who would be giving us our check after the game. He paid us but I opted out of any future assignments there.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Mon Sep 08, 2014, 11:04am
Do not give a damn!!

I had a Principal say something to me, claiming to be a former official. He got written up by me and I passed more schools to go to that game than most of my career.

Peace
Old Mon Sep 08, 2014, 03:46pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Bench Personnel ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetMetFan View Post
Specifically, the Brother - collar and all -
One of our high school guys, while working a Division II men's Catholic college game, tossed out the team chaplain, who was sitting on the team bench, and who was wearing a clerical collar, after too many unsporting comments made by the chaplain to the officials.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon Sep 08, 2014 at 10:34pm.
Old Mon Sep 08, 2014, 06:56pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
One of our high school guys, while working a Division II men's Catholic college game, tossed out the team chaplain, who was sitting on the team bench, and who was wearing a clerical collar, after too may unsporting comments made by the chaplain to the officials.
He should have made his comments in Latin.
Old Mon Sep 08, 2014, 11:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
One of our high school guys, while working a Division II men's Catholic college game, tossed out the team chaplain, who was sitting on the team bench, and who was wearing a clerical collar, after too many unsporting comments made by the chaplain to the officials.
Nice.

I've always had more problems at those private schools.
Old Mon Sep 08, 2014, 11:02pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Doin' The Vatican Rag ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
He should have made his comments in Latin.
Semper ubi sub ubi.

Old Tue Sep 09, 2014, 10:10am
Official Forum Member

In Rec ball i was playing in about a decade ago i saw a pastor get kicked out for getting two technicals... First one he was yelling about a call.... then second one he says to the other ref i think that guy is drunk...... #2
Old Tue Sep 09, 2014, 10:36pm
Administrator

I have had four situations involving athletic directors (H.S. basketball: five ADs; college basketball: one AD; H.S. soccer: one AD); one site manager at a YBOA boys national basketball tournament; one YMCA adult basketball league director; and one site manager in a Special Olympics basketball tournament game, . The AD in one of the H.S. basketball games was a MichiganHSAA track & field and cross country official.

There is no accounting for stupidity of people in authority.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Tue Sep 09, 2014, 10:47pm
Eschew obfuscation.

I've had an AD at a D1 school comment (see: yell at us) on how we let the assistant coach on the other team get away with too much... His team lost by one on a last second shot. We ran by him on our way to our locker room without acknowledgement.