The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Sep 11, 2014, 09:42am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lcubed48 View Post
Now, can they give wristbands and headbands the same color and team requirements?
Better yet, can we get out of the fashion/color business entirely? I got a game to work.
Old Thu Sep 11, 2014, 09:59am
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Better yet, can we get out of the fashion/color business entirely? I got a game to work.
We should take those officials who love being fashion police and put them in a group called "Compliance Officials". They would travel around to schools and law down the fashion law. We could create a test of entirely uniform questions (wait, would that be any different than the current NFHS tests??) to find those special officials!

Either that, or have schools self-report uniform violations. I just wanna call the game.
Old Thu Sep 11, 2014, 10:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Now, can they give wristbands and headbands the same color and team requirements?
Another change ...

NFHS 3-5-4

Headbands and wristbands shall be white, black, beige or predominant color of the uniform and shall be the same color for each item and all participants.
Old Thu Sep 11, 2014, 10:09am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
It's great in theory, until the away teams start wearing white undershirts with long sleeves. AFAIC, make the color requirement simple.

Dominant jersey color only, or they take it off. No, "white, beige, black, fuscia, or predominant color..." If it doesn't match your jersey, it doesn't work.

Of course, if they wanted to make this a similar process as protesting the use of ineligible players, I wouldn't have my feelings hurt. Get it on tape and send it to the state.
Old Thu Sep 11, 2014, 11:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Fashion, yes. Color, no. Colors on sleeves can be confusing. Imagine having several colors on each team with players on opposite teams wearing similar colors. It would make it a lot easier to allow a team to only wear a color that matches their main uniform color OR possibly home can wear white sleeves and visitor can wear dark (black) sleeves even if it is not their uniform color.
Old Thu Sep 11, 2014, 03:50pm
This IS My Social Life

Is This a Contradiction?

OK, it seems they've thrown out "single solid school color" and replaced it with "predominant color of the uniform". I get that. However . . .

New 3-5-4a says, "Headbands and wristbands shall be white, black, beige, or predominant color of the uniform..."

New 3.5.4 says, "Team A's school colors are blue and gold and the predominant color of Team A's jerseys are (sic) white. Prior to the game, an official notices that several Team A members are wearing . . . blue headbands and blue wristbands... RULING: Legal . . .

Is this not a contradiction between rulebook and casebook?
Or am I missing something here?
Old Fri Sep 12, 2014, 04:16pm
Official Forum Member

I asked my family about what the casebook ruling states, & they were shaking their heads, as how can blue headbands & wristbands be considered legal when the predominant color of the uniform is white?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
OK, it seems they've thrown out "single solid school color" and replaced it with "predominant color of the uniform". I get that. However . . .

New 3-5-4a says, "Headbands and wristbands shall be white, black, beige, or predominant color of the uniform..."

New 3.5.4 says, "Team A's school colors are blue and gold and the predominant color of Team A's jerseys are (sic) white. Prior to the game, an official notices that several Team A members are wearing . . . blue headbands and blue wristbands... RULING: Legal . . .

Is this not a contradiction between rulebook and casebook?
Or am I missing something here?
Old Sun Sep 14, 2014, 06:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Isn't a wristband worn on the arm?
If it is not worn on the wrist.
Old Sun Sep 14, 2014, 06:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Agreed. My bottom line feeling is junk all the fashion police stuff, and play on.
Old Sun Sep 14, 2014, 02:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Are they not already??
Old Sun Sep 14, 2014, 03:59pm
NFHS Official

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Are they not already??
Yes they are
Old Mon Sep 15, 2014, 05:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Are they not already??
Indeed they are. I misunderstood the verbiage in the rule change. Thanks for the heads up.
Old Mon Sep 15, 2014, 06:09am
Esteemed Forum Member

Fashion Police Confusion In Connecticut ...

Since wristbands are worn on the arm, they are sleeves? Right?

Since headbands must match the color of wristbands, then they (headbands) also fall under the "sleeves" color restrictions? Right?

The new "predominant color of the uniform" language applies to wristbands, headbands, sleeves (arm, and leg), and undershirts? Right?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon Sep 15, 2014 at 04:20pm.
Old Mon Sep 15, 2014, 07:09am
This IS My Social Life

I Hate This, But...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Since wristbands are worn on the arm, they are sleeves? Right?
No. Compare 3-5-4c (wristbands) with 3-5-3. In an unfortunate overstatement, 3-5-3a ("Anything worn on the arm and/or leg is a sleeve") mucks things up.

Quote:
Since headbands must match the color of wristbands, then they are fall under the "sleeves" color restrictions? Right?
No. As before, headbands and wristbands are one family, arm sleeves and leg sleeves (add tights now) are another family.

Quote:
The new "predominant color of the uniform" language applies to wristbands, headbands, sleeves (arm, and leg), and undershirts? Right?
Everything is the same except "predominant color of the uniform" replaces "single solid school color"

BTW, do you have a new rulesbook?
Old Mon Sep 15, 2014, 11:00am
Official Forum Member

Ugh. Just wish they left this alone.

School colors are white and green. Girls want to wear green headbands at home, with their white uniforms and green trim. Last year's ruling: legal (any single school color.) Before 2010-11: illegal (had to match the color of the torso of the shirt). The girls hated it, in part because different officials ignored the "illegal" headbands.

Four years this worked just fine. I would love to hear the back story on this: what happened that prompted the reversion to the old rule?

And now the case book contradicts the language of the rule? Double ugh. And no...I don't have my new rules book yet.