The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jul 26, 2014, 02:59pm
Official Forum Member

Techs after time expires with tied game

SITUATION: Had one of those crazy situations this weekend. 4th qtr ends with a score of 68 - 68. Team A's coach is throwing a fit about some late calls. Had already been warned earlier in the game and given more than enough leeway during regular time. I tell the coach that we understand his position but its in the past now. He continues fussing, I inform him that his concerns had been "asked and answered" so the topic was now closed, he continues to complain and earns a tech.

QUESTION: When is the tech administered? My interpretation is that since the game is tied, we start OT with two shots for the tech and a throw in for team B - we would only shoot the two shots if the score was NOT tied to determine IF overtime is needed. Several of my colleagues (and Team B's coach) say the techs are an extension of the fourth qtr and should be administered to see if OT is needed - make one game over, miss both go to OT.

REFERENCE: 5.6 comment B, rule 5-6-4

I know I did it right but want to get confirmation from the group here.
Old Sat Jul 26, 2014, 03:16pm
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich1 View Post
SITUATION: Had one of those crazy situations this weekend. 4th qtr ends with a score of 68 - 68. Team A's coach is throwing a fit about some late calls. Had already been warned earlier in the game and given more than enough leeway during regular time. I tell the coach that we understand his position but its in the past now. He continues fussing, I inform him that his concerns had been "asked and answered" so the topic was now closed, he continues to complain and earns a tech.

QUESTION: When is the tech administered? My interpretation is that since the game is tied, we start OT with two shots for the tech and a throw in for team B - we would only shoot the two shots if the score was NOT tied to determine IF overtime is needed. Several of my colleagues (and Team B's coach) say the techs are an extension of the fourth qtr and should be administered to see if OT is needed - make one game over, miss both go to OT.

REFERENCE: 5.6 comment B, rule 5-6-4

I know I did it right but want to get confirmation from the group here.
Please tell me it was one of those "first to score wins" overtimes
Old Sat Jul 26, 2014, 03:25pm
Official Forum Member

No such luck, but....

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
Please tell me it was one of those "first to score wins" overtimes
Nope, 3 minute OT with stop clock. Its a major tournament here with good teams and good officials (management that backs us up).

But, team A's coach continued to misbehave before OT started and earned his ticket out the door with another T. Since he had no assistant and therefore the team had no coach, I ruled the game a forfeit. Not sure what rule to reference there (except maybe the one about making a travesty of the game) but I was not going to wait for some parent to come down out of the balcony to take over. We had already delayed at least 10 minutes by his antics. Its also why a team should have at least two adults sitting on the bench!

Plus, our next game was a 47 - 6 blowout and we started running the clock in the first half. It was an easy money game with no problems.

Last edited by Rich1; Sat Jul 26, 2014 at 03:29pm.
Old Sat Jul 26, 2014, 04:38pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

4Q had ended in a tie, anything that happens after this is part of OT.

I would only suggest not warning him twice next time.
Old Sat Jul 26, 2014, 05:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Agreed. And, my partner should have stuck him while he was fussing before the horn sounded instead of trying to explain why he had made a tough call (correctly) to a coach that wasn't going to accept the answer. I let him handle his own business briefly and then pulled him away but a tech there would have saved us from the confusion.

I rarely warn twice but since it was a tie game and I knew they would have to forfeit if I tossed him I wanted to give him enough rope so that it was clear that he gave us no other option. All observers who matter (assignors, tournament directors, other officials) were supportive of how it was handled. Of course, the team and their fans disagree but they don't matter when it comes to enforcing rules & game management.
Old Sat Jul 26, 2014, 06:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
4Q had ended in a tie, anything that happens after this is part of OT.

This is correct for NFHS rules and I concur with the sentiment expressed about warnings.

Please note the distinction between when time expires on the clock and when a quarter ends. In some cases they may not be the same. For example, a player attempts a try for goal and time expires while the try is in flight. The airborne shooter is then fouled. Although time has expired, the quarter will not be over until any warranted FTs from the foul are attempted. Any infractions which happen prior to that are part of that quarter, not the next period of play.
Old Sat Jul 26, 2014, 10:26pm
Back from the DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich1 View Post
I rarely warn twice but since it was a tie game and I knew they would have to forfeit if I tossed him ....
I say, don't let that influence you. That's not a ticket to unacceptable behavior.

I've only had to toss a head coach once (in a different sport, but that's not relevant), and he was the only adult on the bench. While he went from a wolf to a sheep after the toss, he said he couldn't leave, because he was the only one the kids had. That wasn't true; two parents came over to step it up and finish the game.

If you have to toss a coach, just tell them to find another adult to take over, for the kids' sakes.
Old Sun Jul 27, 2014, 08:58am
Esteemed Forum Member

Not My Job ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post
If you have to toss a coach, just tell them to find another adult to take over, for the kids' sakes.
This may be fine in a summer setting, or possibly in an AAU setting, but be careful in a more "structured" (interscholastic) setting. Here in Connecticut there are certification requirements (first aid, concussion, coaching certificate, etc.) for coaches, from middle school, all the way up to high school varsity, with tougher standards for nonteachers. Interscholastic teams can't just pick an adult from the bleachers to coach.

But that's the coach's (on his way out) problem, or the site director's problem. I'm not even sure that an adult coach must be present in Connecticut interscholastic games. Again, that's the coach's (on his way out) problem, or the site director's problem.

I'm just going to wait a few minutes to get direction from the site director, or someone in authority, possibly the opposing coach. If I'm directed to forfeit the game, I will. If I'm directed to keep officiating the game, I will.

If I have to toss a coach, then I'm tossing the coach. My decision to toss, or not to toss, will not be based on the score, the time remaining, the fee paid by the team to play, the availability of a "coach" to take over, or whether, or not, the kids will be disappointed that the game ends prematurely.

Yeah. That's right. I'm the Grinch that stole the basketball game from the kids.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Jul 27, 2014 at 04:33pm.