View Single Post
Old Sun Jul 27, 2014, 08:58am
Esteemed Forum Member

Not My Job ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post
If you have to toss a coach, just tell them to find another adult to take over, for the kids' sakes.
This may be fine in a summer setting, or possibly in an AAU setting, but be careful in a more "structured" (interscholastic) setting. Here in Connecticut there are certification requirements (first aid, concussion, coaching certificate, etc.) for coaches, from middle school, all the way up to high school varsity, with tougher standards for nonteachers. Interscholastic teams can't just pick an adult from the bleachers to coach.

But that's the coach's (on his way out) problem, or the site director's problem. I'm not even sure that an adult coach must be present in Connecticut interscholastic games. Again, that's the coach's (on his way out) problem, or the site director's problem.

I'm just going to wait a few minutes to get direction from the site director, or someone in authority, possibly the opposing coach. If I'm directed to forfeit the game, I will. If I'm directed to keep officiating the game, I will.

If I have to toss a coach, then I'm tossing the coach. My decision to toss, or not to toss, will not be based on the score, the time remaining, the fee paid by the team to play, the availability of a "coach" to take over, or whether, or not, the kids will be disappointed that the game ends prematurely.

Yeah. That's right. I'm the Grinch that stole the basketball game from the kids.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Jul 27, 2014 at 04:33pm.