The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Aug 16, 2009, 07:16am
Official Forum Member

Tied-game

I've had this summers first tie in the Dutch Big League!

Our competition is now 30 game underway (out 35). The first 3 teams qualify for the play-offs are known, however for the fourth place in the play-off are four teams competing: the difference between them is 2 points (between 4th and 7nd placed team)
Worked a single between two of those teams on saturday (yesterday). After 7 innings tied 1-1. Then Tie-breaker, in dutch competition only 2 innings tie-breaker allowed). So after 9 innings still tied: 2-2!
Great game, with almost all that makes softball a great sport!

Do you always continue tie-breaking until a winner is known?
We do so only in play-off and the final-serie (best of 5). In competition we mostly have DH. So tie-breaking until a winner is known makes it difficult to complete the DH in reasonable time. Now we only have 2 innings tie-breaker...

In ten years working as umpire this is my second 9 inning tied game!

Ik ben niet gek, doe alleen alsof! Gaat me goed af toch?
Old Sun Aug 16, 2009, 09:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Alex View Post

In ten years working as umpire this is my second 9 inning tied game!
In the U.S., the only thing which matters in an extra-inning game is the location of the closest store which sells beer and how quick the umpiring crew can get there. This is important they are often "fined" a case of beer for taking a game to extra innings.

Old Sun Aug 16, 2009, 05:00pm
Official Forum Member

Ooops, Irish I'm sorry! I guess you've misunderstoud me: I've had many tie-breakers, but only 2 games that had to end after 9 innings (by our Dutch rule) and was still tied...

Extra innings are indeed fined by buing a round for the crew by the PU. This rule doesn't apply for our competition; we work in 2-umpire crew... However in European Tournaments (European Champoinships and EuroCups) the PU has to buy a round for all the assigned umpires in the Tournament, the UIC, TC-members and scorers. In the play-off and the Dutch Final, we work in 3-umpire crew, then the PU has to buy for his BU's and the scorer.
Almost all the play-offs and finals I've worked the UIC and other BigLeague-umpires come to visit the crew in the dressingroom. They never come empty handed and always bring a cold one allong for the crew. Showering can be a long during process...

Old Sun Aug 16, 2009, 05:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Ooops, Irish I'm sorry! I guess you've misunderstoud me: I've had many tie-breakers, but only 2 games that had to end after 9 innings (by our Dutch rule) and was still tied...

Extra innings are indeed fined by buing a round for the crew by the PU. This rule doesn't apply for our competition; we work in 2-umpire crew... However in European Tournaments (European Champoinships and EuroCups) the PU has to buy a round for all the assigned umpires in the Tournament, the UIC, TC-members and scorers. In the play-off and the Dutch Final, we work in 3-umpire crew, then the PU has to buy for his BU's and the scorer.
Almost all the play-offs and finals I've worked the UIC and other BigLeague-umpires come to visit the crew in the dressingroom. They never come empty handed and always bring a cold one allong for the crew. Showering can be a long during process...
No, I didn't. I understood exactly what you were saying. I just noted the priority on this side of the Atlantic. Umpires have been known to line up behind the backstop waiting for that final out of 7th inning. And if it did go to the 8th, they would simulate popping open a can of beer.

The only difference is that the PU is not held any more accountable than those working the bases. The crew buys for everyone.
Old Mon Aug 17, 2009, 02:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
No, I didn't. I understood exactly what you were saying.
Sometimes I have trouble interpreting what you, Americans, mean. I Know the english words, but you're not using the Queens English

Quote:
I just noted the priority on this side of the Atlantic. Umpires have been known to line up behind the backstop waiting for that final out of 7th inning. And if it did go to the 8th, they would simulate popping open a can of beer.
That must be a great sound! You know who your friends are!
If they're waiting for the final out, do they enter afterwards the field to call another game? I just can't imagine that they will work a game after drinking a cold one...

Quote:
The only difference is that the PU is not held any more accountable than those working the bases. The crew buys for everyone.
Although PU and BU are equal (different from that in the other small-ball sport...), we're holding PU responceble. He's the one who can make or brake the pitcher, he can force the batter to swing or allow her to wait for a walk. PU is buying.
But if BU makes a (final) out on the tie-breaking runner, he can be forced to pay his share...

Old Mon Aug 17, 2009, 07:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Although PU and BU are equal (different from that in the other small-ball sport...), we're holding PU responceble. He's the one who can make or brake the pitcher, he can force the batter to swing or allow her to wait for a walk. PU is buying.
But if BU makes a (final) out on the tie-breaking runner, he can be forced to pay his share...
Few years back, men's SP national qualifier. Bottom of 7th, tied score, 2 outs, winning run on 2B.

Batter gets a hard base hit to center. Apparently, R1 (all 275+ lbs of him) had some vision of grandeur and decided he was going to score the winning run.

As the PU, I could see the entire play develop in front of me. This guy was dead. I'm saying to myself, "there was no way he is going to score and we are going to the eigth". The throw from the outfield was strong and on line. I'm set up just waiting for the play to occur at the plate when all of a sudden, the pitcher reaches out and snags the throw out of mid-air and the winning run scores.

I'm thinking, "damn, what just happened?" I guess I had a puzzled look on my face as I met my partner and left the field because he asked me if there was a problem. I said, "no, just sort of shocked we got out of there. That runner was going to be out by a good 15 feet. Lucky we avoided buying the beer."

My partner says, "no problem. I simply yelled "cut" and the pitcher did.

True story. Don't know if my partner was joking with me or not, but I was drinking someone else's beer that night.
Old Mon Aug 17, 2009, 08:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Do you always continue tie-breaking until a winner is known?
Yes, I think most all baseball and softball leagues do in the US. I remember there was a Tom Seleck movie about him playing BB in Japan and it was noted the game ends in a tie if no winner has been decided after a certain inning (13th, I think.) That surprised the character Tom Seleck was playing as well as me.

My longest was a high school game that went 12 innings. My most frustrating moment was around the bottom of the 10th. The runner was rounding third as the ball thrown from the outfield sailed over F5's head. The runner started for home for what would surely be the winning run... as the ball was nearing the dug out opening. A young "bat girl" innocently stuck her foot out into the field of play to stop the ball, kind of kicking it towards F2 coming to field it. I had to call the runner coming home out.

... and yes, even to this day, if I have a game with one of the umps that were with me that night, I have to buy them one.