The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jul 11, 2014, 09:14pm
Official Forum Member

Delay of game tech???

There is a difference of opinion in our group about technicals after a warning for delay.

According to 9-2-10, 10-1-5c, & 10.1.5e its refered to as a "team tech". But 10-3-5d says that delaying the game by "repeated violations of the throw in as in 9-2-10" by a player are "player techs". Also, the chart on page 70 in the rule book lists delay under both "administrative" and "player" technicals.

The prevailing arguement here is that the delay on a throw in is "team" and its only other types of delay (withholding the ball, tossing ball across gym, etc.) charged to the "player" because they are more aggregious. However, there seems to be no such differentiation in the rule or case books.

So, I humbly come before this assembly of wise and experienced officials to request the sage advice, opinions, interpretations and musings upon this matter of great debate. What say you...
Old Fri Jul 11, 2014, 09:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich1 View Post
There is a difference of opinion in our group about technicals after a warning for delay.

According to 9-2-10, 10-1-5c, & 10.1.5e its refered to as a "team tech". But 10-3-5d says that delaying the game by "repeated violations of the throw in as in 9-2-10" by a player are "player techs". Also, the chart on page 70 in the rule book lists delay under both "administrative" and "player" technicals.

The prevailing arguement here is that the delay on a throw in is "team" and its only other types of delay (withholding the ball, tossing ball across gym, etc.) charged to the "player" because they are more aggregious. However, there seems to be no such differentiation in the rule or case books.

So, I humbly come before this assembly of wise and experienced officials to request the sage advice, opinions, interpretations and musings upon this matter of great debate. What say you...
I'm gonna guess. I think the player tech would be for repeated violations by the same player. Everything else would be team T. Tossing the ball across the gym sounds like an unsportsmanlike T, rather than delay of game. If it was the first time it happened, I don't think you'd give a warning.
Old Sat Jul 12, 2014, 04:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich1 View Post

According to 9-2-10, 10-1-5c, & 10.1.5e its reffered to as a "team tech". But 10-3-5d says that delaying the game by "repeated violations of the throw in as in 9-2-10" by a player are "player techs". Also, the chart on page 70 in the rule book lists delay under both "administrative" and "player" technicals.

If the defender reaches through the boundary plane and touches the ball while the thrower possesses it or when it's being passed to the thrower's OOB teammate, it's a technical foul assessed to the player and a team warning for delay for violating the plane if one hadn't previously been assessed. That's the only time under 9-2-10 that a T is assessed directly to the player.

A player can be assessed a T for delay of game for failing to pass the ball directly to an official but that's not a 9-2-10 issue. Also, this is not one of the delay of game technical fouls that first requires a warning.
Old Sat Jul 12, 2014, 10:21pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Repeated violations are not normal situations. Done it's a team foul normally, a team could conceivably continue to break this rule in some sort of tantrum. I see this wording as justification for escalating this to a player T as a step to eliminate the problem before it gets to forfeit territory.
Old Sat Jul 12, 2014, 10:23pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Bill View Post
I'm gonna guess. I think the player tech would be for repeated violations by the same player. Everything else would be team T. Tossing the ball across the gym sounds like an unsportsmanlike T, rather than delay of game. If it was the first time it happened, I don't think you'd give a warning.
It is a delay of game T, but as BktBallRef notes, it's a different rule than 9-2-10 and is a player T with no warnings involved.
Old Mon Jul 14, 2014, 08:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Repeated violations are not normal situations. Done it's a team foul normally, a team could conceivably continue to break this rule in some sort of tantrum. I see this wording as justification for escalating this to a player T as a step to eliminate the problem before it gets to forfeit territory.
This is how I understand it. It's a team T in just about every situation that is likely to occur.
Old Mon Jul 14, 2014, 09:34am
Courageous When Prudent

You guys are a bunch of jinxes. Yesterday is the first time ever that I've had to call a T for a player touching the ball while still in the hands of the thrower-in.
Old Mon Jul 14, 2014, 11:16am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
You guys are a bunch of jinxes. Yesterday is the first time ever that I've had to call a T for a player touching the ball while still in the hands of the thrower-in.
It's your own fault. Don't blame us.

Oh, and let me guess, "Don't we get a warning first?"
Old Mon Jul 14, 2014, 11:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

I had to call this earlier this year. Whenever the player throwing the ball in is being "guarded" I always say "Don't reach across" and indicate the plane. When I called the T the kid asked why he didn't get a warning. Before I went to report it I said "What do you thing don't reach across was?" That really confused him.
Old Mon Jul 14, 2014, 12:33pm
AremRed

Quote:
Me: "Yes, if I somehow whistle after you violate the plane and before you contact the ball and you stop after hearing the whistle but before you contact the ball then you get a warning."

Kid: "Ok."

Old Mon Jul 14, 2014, 01:15pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:

Nah, I explained it to the coach and he didn't say a word other than asking where the new throw-in would be. Later on in the same game the same player committed a DOG violation on a sideline throw-in right in front of the table (called by my partner). It was late in the game and they were getting blown out, so I didn't have the heart to come over and bring up the fact that it should be a Team Technical.

I did 3 games AAU games yesterday, and all the coaches were great.
Old Mon Jul 14, 2014, 02:27pm
I got a Basketball Jones!

to clarify...

"Nah, I explained it to the coach and he didn't say Boo!!!"
Old Mon Jul 14, 2014, 03:05pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by justacoach View Post
to clarify...

"Nah, I explained it to the coach and he didn't say Boo!!!"
#2 was on the other side of the curtain while I was working.
Old Mon Jul 14, 2014, 04:46pm
I got a Basketball Jones!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
#2 was on the other side of the curtain while I was working.
Neato!!!
Did you get a chance to check him out??
Old Mon Jul 14, 2014, 07:14pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by justacoach View Post
Neato!!!
Did you get a chance to check him out??
He has the NBA style jump ball signal down pat. Didn't see anything else.

Last edited by Raymond; Mon Jul 14, 2014 at 08:05pm.