The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jul 10, 2014, 05:22pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Rhetorical questions, or quizzing our newbies?

I know you know the answer to this.

Actually, I see two different ways to look at it. What are you saying?

Lonesome Dove
Old Thu Jul 10, 2014, 05:45pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
Actually, I see two different ways to look at it. What are you saying?
A try is only at one's own basket.
Old Thu Jul 10, 2014, 06:20pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
A try is only at one's own basket.
5.2.1 says that when the officials allow the teams to go in the wrong direction all points scored count as if they had gone in the right direction. When the officials allowed the wrong team to complete the throw-in and didn't blow it dead, as far as I'm concerned, they "allowed the teams to go the wrong way."

Lonesome Dove
Old Thu Jul 10, 2014, 08:35pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
5.2.1 says that when the officials allow the teams to go in the wrong direction all points scored count as if they had gone in the right direction. When the officials allowed the wrong team to complete the throw-in and didn't blow it dead, as far as I'm concerned, they "allowed the teams to go the wrong way."
That applies if the teams started in the wrong direction, not when get disoriented in the middle of action. Under your theory then Blue should been credited with the 2 points White's basket.

Last edited by Raymond; Thu Jul 10, 2014 at 08:38pm.
Old Thu Jul 10, 2014, 08:38pm
AremRed

Quote:
That's only for starting the wrong direction at the beginning of a half, not the play in the OP.
Old Thu Jul 10, 2014, 08:45pm
We don't rent pigs

The example given is at the beginning of the game. Why would that not apply if it happened at some other point? What do you do if you discover in the midst of the proceedings that the teams are going the wrong way and you don't know when they started?

Lonesome Dove
Old Thu Jul 10, 2014, 08:57pm
AremRed

Quote:
The example given is at the beginning of the game. Why would that not apply if it happened at some other point? What do you do if you discover in the midst of the proceedings that the teams are going the wrong way and you don't know when they started?
If I somehow have a brain aneurysm and allow the teams to start going the opposite way during the middle of a half, I doubt my brain would be functional enough to remember the example.
Old Thu Jul 10, 2014, 09:10pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
If I somehow have a brain aneurysm and allow the teams to start going the opposite way during the middle of a half, I doubt my brain would be functional enough to remember the example.
So what does that mean? At the 4 minute mark of the first quarter you discover the teams are going the wrong way. Nobody knows when they started. This is actually not as uncommon as one might think when young kids are involved. What would you do?

Lonesome Dove
Old Thu Jul 10, 2014, 09:56pm
Official Forum Member

I can see a TO in the middle of a quarter, and as part of the ensuing throw-in, the players all start going the wrong direction. Here, I'd let it stand, and fix it when discovered.

I think it needs to be that the referees are also just thinking that everything is normal, and that it's after some break in the action.

Or, use 2-3 (or whatever it is) to decide.
Old Thu Jul 10, 2014, 11:38pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
So what does that mean? At the 4 minute mark of the first quarter you discover the teams are going the wrong way. Nobody knows when they started. This is actually not as uncommon as one might think when young kids are involved. What would you do?
If nobody knows when they started going to the wrong way, then I'm assuming young kids are also officiating. The video in the OP is clearly a situation of an "all of a sudden" moment, not a prolonged stretch of action where everyone played normally.
Old Fri Jul 11, 2014, 12:05am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
If nobody knows when they started going to the wrong way, then I'm assuming young kids are also officiating. The video in the OP is clearly a situation of an "all of a sudden" moment, not a prolonged stretch of action where everyone played normally.
4 seconds elapse in the OP with the wrong team inbounding the ball and dribbling into its own backcourt. This may not qualify as a "prolonged stretch of action" to you, but it's more than a sudden moment to me. Clearly none of the officials are aware of the problem and they don't appear to be young kids to me.

Lonesome Dove
Old Fri Jul 11, 2014, 06:12am
Esteemed Forum Member

Let's Go To The Videotape ...

Quote:
5.2.1 says ....
5.2.1 SITUATION E: During the pregame practice period, the visiting team
properly uses the east goal and the home team the west goal. The officials, by
mistake, allow the jumpers to face the wrong direction to start the game. A1 controls
the tap by tapping the ball back to A2. A2, realizing that he/she had warmed
up at the basket behind A1, dribbles to that basket and scores an uncontested
basket. RULING: Score the basket for Team A. The officials should stop the game
and emphasize to both teams the proper direction. The mistake is an official's
error by allowing A1 and B1 to face the wrong direction; not a correctable error.

5.2.1 SITUATION F: During the pregame practice period, the visiting team
properly uses the east goal and the home team the west goal. The officials, by
mistake, allow the jumpers to face the wrong direction to start the game. Several
baskets are scored before it is recognized that both teams are throwing the ball
into the opponent’s basket. RULING: All points scored count as if the teams had
gone the right direction and scored in their own basket. Once the mistake is recognized,
play shall continue with each team attempting to score in its own basket.
(4-5-4)
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Fri Jul 11, 2014, 07:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
If the player in white heaves it toward the wrong basket and the buzzer goes off while the ball is in the air does it count if it goes in?
No points given, ball is dead when horn goes off unless on a shot.
Old Fri Jul 11, 2014, 08:16am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
4 seconds elapse in the OP with the wrong team inbounding the ball and dribbling into its own backcourt. This may not qualify as a "prolonged stretch of action" to you, but it's more than a sudden moment to me. Clearly none of the officials are aware of the problem and they don't appear to be young kids to me.
I could never fathom going the wrong direction after a free throw and letting it last more than 5 seconds. And if someone were to launch a shot a the wrong basket that goes in after the buzzer, I'm not compounding my complete ineptitude by scoring points.

And again I ask, so in the OP, you are going to the scorer's table and making sure they awarded 2 points to Blue for the basket they made into White's basket?
Old Fri Jul 11, 2014, 11:18am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
I could never fathom going the wrong direction after a free throw and letting it last more than 5 seconds. And if someone were to launch a shot a the wrong basket that goes in after the buzzer, I'm not compounding my complete ineptitude by scoring points.

And again I ask, so in the OP, you are going to the scorer's table and making sure they awarded 2 points to Blue for the basket they made into White's basket?
In the OP, since the one basket is the extent of the damage, no, I think you credit it to white. However, had the action continued for any longer reaching the point where white also took a shot at the wrong basket, or had there been a turnover and blue again attacked the wrong basket, then I think it would fall under the "officials allowed the teams to go the wrong way" blanket, at which time the point would count for the team that shot them.

Lonesome Dove