The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed May 06, 2009, 04:10pm
Official Forum Member

Brain Lapse

I had one yesterday.
R1 and R2 on 3rd and 1st respectively. I am in C. R2 takes off with the pitch to steal 2B. I see her coming and the catcher standing so I start moving to 2B to make the call. The only problem - F2 throws it to third and my back was to the play. We get it drilled into our heads every year at the clinics - KEEP YOUR EYES ON THE BALL. NOTHING HAPPENS WITHOUT THE BALL. There was no small amount of yelling at me from the stands and one coach was a bit miffed. I just blew it.
Conference tourney games are a blast though.

Softball in the Bible
"In the big-inning"

Old Wed May 06, 2009, 04:40pm
Official Forum Member

Me too but in rec single ump mechanics. Start of 8. I place runner on second, but forgot (don't really know how, looking right at her past the pitcher). D3K. I clear the catcher to the left, and almost walk right in to her as she is throwing to 3rd to get the runner stealing to 3rd. So I pivot backwards on my right just in time to call the out. Great Play by the catcher. No so great by me.
Old Wed May 06, 2009, 04:44pm
Official Forum Member

I think we've all done it...and then I get the reminder:

ball ball ball ball ball ball ball base ball ball ball ball ball ball base ball ball ball...
Old Wed May 06, 2009, 04:46pm
Official Forum Member

2 outs, runners 1 & 2, Im PU, BU, who is D1 signals IF. Pop up.. I call it.. hes cracking up. He said if my head was in the game he wouldnt have "got me".. which he did. Often the NCAA guys will do this, guess its their little thing, usually I'm ready.

Cherry on top.. one of the coaches on heybucket was watching it and knew me of course. Of course that coach doesnt know it was my partner that got me, but he still promptly posted about it there.. but brain fart by me for sure.
Old Wed May 06, 2009, 04:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcblue13 View Post
I had one yesterday.
R1 and R2 on 3rd and 1st respectively. I am in C. R2 takes off with the pitch to steal 2B. I see her coming and the catcher standing so I start moving to 2B to make the call. The only problem - F2 throws it to third and my back was to the play. We get it drilled into our heads every year at the clinics - KEEP YOUR EYES ON THE BALL. NOTHING HAPPENS WITHOUT THE BALL. There was no small amount of yelling at me from the stands and one coach was a bit miffed. I just blew it.
Conference tourney games are a blast though.
I'll take angle over distance for this play - and it's a common play. I move straight in - and then have a 90-degree look at both the play on 2B and/or the play at 3B. AND - well you already realized the thing with the ball
Old Wed May 06, 2009, 04:55pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadeintothem View Post
2 outs, runners 1 & 2, Im PU, BU, who is D1 signals IF. Pop up.. I call it.. hes cracking up. He said if my head was in the game he wouldnt have "got me".. which he did. Often the NCAA guys will do this, guess its their little thing, usually I'm ready.
Wow, great partner there! Granted you obviously have to keep your head in the game but that is rather childish on his part.
Old Wed May 06, 2009, 05:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
Wow, great partner there! Granted you obviously have to keep your head in the game but that is rather childish on his part.
Actually not the first time Ive had D1 guys do that to me, usually they dont get me. I figure its one of their things they got going on.. dunno. Was kinda sucky.. but I did know there was 2 outs.. dumb me.
Old Wed May 06, 2009, 06:42pm
Official Forum Member

First ASA Tournament many years ago was the So Cal B State. I was BU with R1 on first. Ball hit to F6. F6 barley beats R1 for the force at second. I give a sell OUT. Next thing I hear is my partner call the batter out at 1st.

Later that night at the BBQ he is telling everyone what I did, and everyone is laughing. All I could say (in a proud way) was, “ya, but you have to admit it was a beautiful sell out at 2nd”.
Old Wed May 06, 2009, 07:13pm
Official Forum Member

I'm PU with R1 at first base and two outs. B4 hits a shot that bounces into right field. BU comes in and as he button hooks and begins taking R1 to second base, F9 fires the ball to F3. BU is watching R1 slide into second and does not see the play at first.

My partner recovered quickly though. He immediately yells to me "was the first baseman on the base with the ball before the batter runner got there?"
I answered "Yes!" and my partner calls the BR out at first.

OC went nuts and comes to me yelling that I can't make that call. I responded that I didn't make the call, the BU did. OC wasn't happy as he stomped back to the dugout.
Old Wed May 06, 2009, 10:37pm
Official Forum Member

Single ump slow pitch game. Batter hits a grounder to F6, who fields it cleanly and throws to 1B for the out. I trail the BR to 1B, plant and sell the hell out of my call on a tight play.

"HAW!"

F3 then rifles the ball to F2.

And that's when I suddenly remembered R1 on 3B.

I think I did somewhat of a Matrix move, the ball mere inches from my nose. Somehow, I was able to pivot and call the out at HP.

No me gusta.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Thu May 07, 2009, 12:46am
Official Forum Member

If you were referring to the play, Dave, then it is no me gustó. However, if you meant to say that you do not like plays like that, then it is OK. But given that every tense is in the past, use of the past fits better. I moonlighted as a Spanish profe Some habits die hard.

Que te gusta? La cerveza argentina?
Old Thu May 07, 2009, 05:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronald View Post
If you were referring to the play, Dave, then it is no me gustó. However, if you meant to say that you do not like plays like that, then it is OK. But given that every tense is in the past, use of the past fits better. I moonlighted as a Spanish profe Some habits die hard.

Que te gusta? La cerveza argentina?
I know, I know... It's actually a joke in reference to just how bad some American Spanish-speakers can be. Also a reference to Team America: World Police.

Sí, la cerveza en argentina es rebuena, aunque todas las cervezas allá tienen nombres alemanes.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Thu May 07, 2009, 03:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcblue13 View Post
NOTHING HAPPENS WITHOUT THE BALL.

Not everything that needs to be called happens without the ball. Exhibit A: Obstruction.

So maybe it isn't watching the ball as much of 1) umpiring in priorities and 2) reading the action and then reacting.