The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Nov 26, 2007, 08:04pm
Official Forum Member

Focus

Although I make the right call and call the correct color, I can't break the habit of pointing the wrong direction occasionally mostly when I'm lead and there may be a scrum underneath with an OB play. Any tips to keep mentally sharp?

I had some health issues a few years ago that knocked the snot out of me and it may be the residual effect of that . Of course I use this as an excuse to fellow refs and the laugh and say, "no, you're just old."

The dreaded quick whistle may have something to do with it also.
Old Mon Nov 26, 2007, 08:11pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
This one's easy.

Make the call, give the color, wait a few seconds to see if the players run down court. If they do then point that way. If not...well you know. If you don't trust the players just look at the benches to see what direction you point (of course that means you have to remember which half you're in...M&M tells me that's not so easy for you old guys to do...)
Old Mon Nov 26, 2007, 08:15pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullor30
Although I make the right call and call the correct color, I can't break the habit of pointing the wrong direction occasionally mostly when I'm lead and there may be a scrum underneath with an OB play. Any tips to keep mentally sharp?

I had some health issues a few years ago that knocked the snot out of me and it may be the residual effect of that . Of course I use this as an excuse to fellow refs and the laugh and say, "no, you're just old."

The dreaded quick whistle may have something to do with it also.
Get in the habit of yelling the color of who gets the ball next. THEN point the direction. Take up to a half second to remember which bench is who, and which half it is. Yelling the color first helps you remember what happened, and thus the correct restart is re-inforced before you get a chance to goof. Then if you point the wrong direction, you at least have the correct color in your head. You can always fix the direction. Yelling the color first also gives you some time to glance at the benches, remember which half it is and thus deduce the direction.
Old Mon Nov 26, 2007, 09:04pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

I've made it a habit to look at the benches. I'm not nearly as old as Dan and M&M, so I can still remember what half we're in. I've been told, though, that you can generally look at the scoreboard to see what quarter it is. Just remember, quarters 1 and 2 mean first half. Quarters 3 and 4 mean 2nd half.
Old Mon Nov 26, 2007, 09:28pm
Official Forum Member

If you are pointing the wrong direction a lot, then just yell the color, and get the ball and get it ready for inbounds. It's not the right mechanic, but it sure looks better than continually pointing the wrong way.
Old Mon Nov 26, 2007, 11:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullor30
Any tips to keep mentally sharp?
Say the color and then point the correct direction. It's up to you to fix this one.
Old Tue Nov 27, 2007, 02:26am
Do not give a damn!!

Most people have said what I was thinking on this issue. Most out of bounds calls are not hard sells. You do not need to point the second the ball goes out of bounds. Saying the color is a better way until you realize which way you are going.

You have been watching too much TV.

Peace
Old Tue Nov 27, 2007, 08:15am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
You do not need to point the second the ball goes out of bounds.
Exactly. Stop the clock and just keep your hand up in the air. Announce the color, and then you've had an extra second or so to figure out the direction.

You know, the longer I do this, the more I realize how important it is to stop the clock on every whistle. It's not a huge thing, but that extra second can save us from so many problems.
Old Tue Nov 27, 2007, 10:47am
Official Forum Member

Sounds to me like you need to slow everything down. Don't get in a hurry. A patient whistle is correct more often than a quick one. I was in a rush my first game out this season, but as I settled in, I feel that I have a good pace going right now. Everyone has times when we don't have our normal focus. One thing I do is break the game into parts. I tell myself to be the best official I can until the next dead ball. Then at a break, take a deep breath and relax for a minute. Personally I scan the crowd for any good scenery . After the break, back to work and focus. Another thing that really helps me gain my focus is a good pregame. It helps me visualize and concentrate on what I'm going to be doing. Most nights I will tell my crew a little thing I'd like them to keep an eye out for during the game. Then when we talk during the game I can ask for feedback to help me stay into what I'm doing. For example, I've gotten in a bad habit of not having my arm straight up on fouls, it is kind of off to the side and looks lazy. My first few games I've asked my partners to keep an eye on it. I'm obviously thinking about it, but asking for feedback makes me concentrate a little better.
Old Tue Nov 27, 2007, 10:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
Most people have said what I was thinking on this issue. Most out of bounds calls are not hard sells. You do not need to point the second the ball goes out of bounds. Saying the color is a better way until you realize which way you are going.

You have been watching too much TV.

Peace
Precisely!
Old Tue Nov 27, 2007, 10:57am
Official Forum Member

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junker
Sounds to me like you need to slow everything down. Don't get in a hurry. A patient whistle is correct more often than a quick one. I was in a rush my first game out this season, but as I settled in, I feel that I have a good pace going right now. Everyone has times when we don't have our normal focus. One thing I do is break the game into parts. I tell myself to be the best official I can until the next dead ball. Then at a break, take a deep breath and relax for a minute. Personally I scan the crowd for any good scenery . After the break, back to work and focus. Another thing that really helps me gain my focus is a good pregame. It helps me visualize and concentrate on what I'm going to be doing. Most nights I will tell my crew a little thing I'd like them to keep an eye out for during the game. Then when we talk during the game I can ask for feedback to help me stay into what I'm doing. For example, I've gotten in a bad habit of not having my arm straight up on fouls, it is kind of off to the side and looks lazy. My first few games I've asked my partners to keep an eye on it. I'm obviously thinking about it, but asking for feedback makes me concentrate a little better.
Slow and patient every time is what I tell myself( funny how my golf game mirrors my officiating sometimes!)

Probably am watching too much TV.and trying to copy the big dawgs.

And yes, the scenery for those kids games can be distracting at timeouts.