The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jun 29, 2014, 01:39pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
Depends on whose perspective you are looking from.

Coaches, players, and fans perspectives do not count matter. And if an evaluator would have told me that he was concerned about the flow of the game I would have told him to stop evaluating and become a fan.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sun Jun 29, 2014, 01:41pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Players dictate the flow by the amount of illegal activity they choose to engage in.

BNF:

I will put your check in the mail tomorrow morning.

MTD, Sr.
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sun Jun 29, 2014, 08:12pm
Stubborn Member

Maybe it's a good thing I haven't had a coach complain about off-ball calls.
Old Sun Jun 29, 2014, 08:24pm
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
Officials do not dictate the "flow" of the game. Players dictated the "flow" of the game.
Quote:
Players dictate the flow by the amount of illegal activity they choose to engage in.
Quote:
Guess you need to decide whose perspective you are concerned with when discussing officiating and illegal contact.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
As an official, I hope it's the official's perspective you're concerned with. Otherwise, there are coaching forums all over the place where you may get a response more to your liking.
Quote:
Coaches, players, and fans perspectives do not count matter. And if an evaluator would have told me that he was concerned about the flow of the game I would have told him to stop evaluating and become a fan.
I'm not talking about fans, players, or coaches perspectives as most of you assumed. There are different perspectives on officiating and who does what even within our own community! Strange, I know. A HS-only state finals official told me he lets the players play for a few minutes before he steps in to set the bar for what will be allowed in the game. On the other hand a D1 guy told me in his mind his job to set the tone and the flow of the game -- the way he calls the first few minutes outlines how the game will flow.

It's two sides of the same coin. Both are valid reasons. It just depends how you look at it. It would be nice to hear some actual discussion on this topic instead of just being glib and rejecting my premise because you think it's what coaches or players think.
Old Sun Jun 29, 2014, 09:04pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
I'm not talking about fans, players, or coaches perspectives as most of you assumed. There are different perspectives on officiating and who does what even within our own community! Strange, I know. A HS-only state finals official told me he lets the players play for a few minutes before he steps in to set the bar for what will be allowed in the game. On the other hand a D1 guy told me in his mind his job to set the tone and the flow of the game -- the way he calls the first few minutes outlines how the game will flow.

It's two sides of the same coin. Both are valid reasons. It just depends how you look at it. It would be nice to hear some actual discussion on this topic instead of just being glib and rejecting my premise because you think it's what coaches or players think.
Perhaps if you weren't glib in your original (duplicate) duplicate posts, we'd take you more seriously.
Old Sun Jun 29, 2014, 11:54pm
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Perhaps if you weren't glib in your original (duplicate) duplicate posts, we'd take you more seriously.
I could say the same about BNR repeating the same thing MTD said to me. But it's ok. I think I've demonstrated that there are at least two sides to this coin -- who sets the "flow" for the game does depend on whose perspective you are looking from.
Old Mon Jun 30, 2014, 12:11am
Administrator

Quote:
I could say the same about BNR repeating the same thing MTD said to me. But it's ok. I think I've demonstrated that there are at least two sides to this coin -- who sets the "flow" for the game does depend on whose perspective you are looking from.

The players always set the flow of the game in my games. And as officials we should never fall into the trap of believing that anybody else except players set the flow of the game.

MTD, Sr.
Toledo, Ohio
Old Mon Jun 30, 2014, 12:16am
AremRed

Quote:
The players always set the flow of the game in my games. And as officials we should never fall into the trap of believing that anybody else except players set the flow of the game.
But certainly how we call the game from the beginning also has an effect on the flow?
Old Mon Jun 30, 2014, 08:40am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
I didn't even know MTD has posted anything. But it's amazing how 2 veteran officials, who live nowhere near each other, and never travelled in the same officiating circles could come up with almost identical statements on the subject.

I choose not to be an official who believes it is his job to dictate the flow of the game.
Old Mon Jun 30, 2014, 10:48am
Administrator

Quote:
I didn't even know MTD has posted anything. But it's amazing how 2 veteran officials, who live nowhere near each other, and never travelled in the same officiating circles could come up with almost identical statements on the subject.

I choose not to be an official who believes it is his job to dictate the flow of the game.

Great minds think alike!

MTD, Sr.

P.S. Oh it is possible that through Six Degrees of Separation we might have a connection. And I did put your check in the mail this morning.
Toledo, Ohio
Old Mon Jun 30, 2014, 11:03am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:

Make it 3. I just call the game that's in front of me.
Old Mon Jun 30, 2014, 03:44pm
Do not give a damn!!

I have heard very few supervisors or clinicians talk about flow anymore. The new rules or past guidelines have helped eliminate that part of the discussion.

Peace
Old Tue Jul 01, 2014, 10:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
But certainly how we call the game from the beginning also has an effect on the flow?
I would say that it is more how the players and coaches adjust to the officials calling the game, that dictate the flow.