The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon May 26, 2014, 09:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
Has anyone ever overruled their partner in a case like this? Or do you always just go with it?
The thought crossed my mind for about a half-second but as JAR said I can't overrule him and we both end up looking dumb if I run 60 feet to ask him what the heck he was doing. I did make a gentle mention during a time out that we should stay in our areas when possible but it didn't take.

As Jeff said this *is* summer ball but I have a feeling he carries these habits into the regular season and no one has said, "Umm, you might want to trust your partners a bit more." On the travel in question the entire gym - maybe about 60 people - stopped. I mean the *entire* gym. Everyone was shocked because they had no idea why the whistle blew and they were even more stunned when he made the call. Nobody supporting Team A even yelled and it was a close game. I just got the ball from the "offender" and said, "Let's go, ladies, White ball!"
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Mon May 26, 2014, 02:10pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetMetFan View Post
The guy had all the requisite state HS patches on his shirt
We only where are "patched shirts" during state sponsored HS games - never during Rec Ball or AAU. Others?
Old Mon May 26, 2014, 05:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
We only where are "patched shirts" during state sponsored HS games - never during Rec Ball or AAU. Others?
Do you only use the correct homophones during the HS season as well?
Old Mon May 26, 2014, 06:02pm
Esteemed Forum Member

You Can't Say That On Television ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Do you only use the correct homophones during the HS season as well?
A homophone? We can't call people names like that on the Forum, can we? Where's a moderator when you need him?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Mon May 26, 2014, 07:48pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
A homophone? We can't call people names like that on the Forum, can we?
Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Last edited by Mark Padgett; Mon May 26, 2014 at 07:51pm.
Old Tue May 27, 2014, 01:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
We only wear our "patched shirts" during state sponsored HS games - never during Rec Ball or AAU. Others?
As you were saying...

I worked games in two states (NY & NJ) this weekend. In NY I didn't, just a plain black and white. In NJ I did because that's what my partner was wearing.

From what I recall of the days when I used to work summer ball more often the NJ officials tend to wear their patched shirts more often. Maybe it's because they have a state patch during the season so they might not want to spend the extra $ to get one or two plain shirts. Just me guessing, of course.
Old Tue May 27, 2014, 04:03am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
I worked games in two states (NY & NJ) this weekend.
So it depends on "where" you are whether you "wear" the patch or not. We never see em here.

Once last season I worked a private school tourney and showed up without a patchless shirt - had to cut it off before the game. First time I thought velcro was a good idea.

PS - and thanks to the spelling police. I went to public schools. Sometimes my writing is not so goodly!
Old Tue May 27, 2014, 06:49am
This IS My Social Life

No Rules Just Right?

Quote:
We only where are "patched shirts" ....
Maybe coffee out through my nose is a healthy thing.
Old Tue May 27, 2014, 06:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
So it depends on "where" you are whether you "wear" the patch or not. We never see em here.
Where and what my partner does, though it does seem as though I've been patched up for my NJ summer games more often than not. I carry enough variations in my bag so I can match my partner.
Old Tue May 27, 2014, 06:25pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Certifiable ...

Here, in my little corner of Connecticut, we are allowed to wear our IAABO patched shirts anywhere, anytime, as long as our partner is an IAABO member.

Since Connecticut is "pretty much" a 100% IAABO state, anybody without an IAABO patch is some type of "gypsy", freelancing, official, and most of us, including me, will not work with such an "uncertified" official.

In thirty-three years, I have never worked with an official that was not an IAABO member, in any type of game, recreation league, mens league, AAU, travel teams, etc. Never. Ever. I've never even had a choice. Every time, and I literally mean every time, I've walked into a gym, there's a patched IAABO official, or an unpatched rookie "cadet" IAABO official, there for me to work with.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue May 27, 2014 at 06:28pm.
Old Tue May 27, 2014, 06:36pm
Do not give a damn!!

It is only required to wear (state) patches during state sactioned games. People will wear them during summer leagues and even AAU/Travel type games. I often do not wear any patch during AAU/Traveling type games. Personal choice and no one really cares. It has been assumed in a couple of situations I have no license. I just laugh and think it is funny when that is assumed.

Peace
Old Tue May 27, 2014, 09:10pm
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
By rule, you can't overrule a call, no matter how wrong it may be.

You can give a partner information and allow him to change his own call, but I've never seen it on a travel.
Quote:
The thought crossed my mind for about a half-second but as JAR said I can't overrule him and we both end up looking dumb if I run 60 feet to ask him what the heck he was doing. I did make a gentle mention during a time out that we should stay in our areas when possible but it didn't take.
I know, I know I have been tempted before to yell out "INADVERTENT WHISTLE" and give the ball back to the right team. Obviously not something that helps crew unity/chemistry or credibility.

I had one partner that was calling heavily in my area who I told to stop. That didn't go over well. Now I just say something like "hey just wanted to tell you some of the things I'm working on so you can help me out. I'm really focusing on calling in my area..." That seems to subtly remind them to:

As far as patches go I use my patched shirts for every game that I do, unless a college camp. I haven't heard any direction from my state organization regarding the subject. Guys working rec and AAU games have all manner of patches from many different years. I think the oldest patched shirt I've seen was from 2006.
Old Wed May 28, 2014, 07:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
It is only required to wear (state) patches during state sactioned games. People will wear them during summer leagues and even AAU/Travel type games. I often do not wear any patch during AAU/Traveling type games. Personal choice and no one really cares. It has been assumed in a couple of situations I have no license. I just laugh and think it is funny when that is assumed.

Peace
If you made the right calls, this would not be the assumption
Old Wed May 28, 2014, 08:11am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PG_Ref View Post
If you made the right calls, this would not be the assumption
Maybe if I cared it would matter.

Peace
Old Wed May 28, 2014, 08:19am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Here, in my little corner of Connecticut, we are allowed to wear our IAABO patched shirts anywhere, anytime, as long as our partner is an IAABO member.

Since Connecticut is "pretty much" a 100% IAABO state, anybody without an IAABO patch is some type of "gypsy", freelancing, official, and most of us, including me, will not work with such an "uncertified" official.

In thirty-three years, I have never worked with an official that was not an IAABO member, in any type of game, recreation league, mens league, AAU, travel teams, etc. Never. Ever. I've never even had a choice. Every time, and I literally mean every time, I've walked into a gym, there's a patched IAABO official, or an unpatched rookie "cadet" IAABO official, there for me to work with.
Here, in another IAABO state, IAABO patches are required for HS games (all levels). Below that, not so much, and I tend to simply match up with what my partner is wearing. Some guys put their IAABO shirts away for the summer, some don't. There is one local middle school group that does not require IAABO certification. I personally don't care, but my experience tells me it's better to match for the game.

If one guy has a patch and the other doesn't, it opens up one of you as a target in that game.