The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Ahhh...the joys of (almost) summer ball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/97953-ahhh-joys-almost-summer-ball.html)

JetMetFan Sun May 25, 2014 10:39am

Ahhh...the joys of (almost) summer ball

Worked some girls' AAU last night w/a partner I've never met. Rather than describe where we were when he blew his whistle on a (non-existent) travel, I'll provide a visual aid:

http://i59.tinypic.com/501usi.jpg

It was one of more than a few during the night. When I heard the whistle I thought someone was hurt. Then I saw him signaling a travel. Rather than get upset I opted for the "get in, get out" strategy.

BillyMac Sun May 25, 2014 10:51am

Thanks For Your Support ...

Well, at least we know that you weren't straight-lined. I do think that you could have been a little farther back away from the endline, which would have given you a wider look (top to bottom) at the play. We're taught never to stand on the endline, but, rather, to stand a few feet back. Maybe this was your partner's somewhat less than subtle way of telling you that you were too close to the play and to back up a little? (I hope that this latest attempt at sarcasm turns out better than the last attempt.)

(JetMetFan: What did you use to create your cool visual aid? Also, do you like working with tinypic.com? I've been using Flickr to pin a URL (web address) to my own photos, and images.)

grunewar Sun May 25, 2014 11:08am

Wow......

Since he just had to make this obvious, staggering, game-changing call from all the way back there, what were you looking at? ;) (sarc)

JetMetFan Sun May 25, 2014 11:13am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 934820)
Well, at least we know that you weren't straight-lined. I do think that you could have been a little farther back away from the endline, which would have given you a wider look (top to bottom) at the play. We're taught never to stand on the endline, but, rather, to stand a few feet back.

(JetMetFan: What did you use to create your visual aid?)

Yeah, yeah. Everyone's a critic :) And yes, I was further back :p My actual position would've put half of my little striped circle halfway out of the picture :D The play happened off of a rebound - that was in a halfcourt situation, by the way. The girl with the ball had just gotten a rebound and was turning to go up court. One of my partner's knees was hurting which explained why he never made it remotely close to the division line...but still.

As for the program, it's from sportsdood.com.

BillyMac Sun May 25, 2014 11:14am

Based On My Own Personal Experiences ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by grunewar (Post 934821)
Since he just had to make this obvious, staggering, game-changing call from all the way back there, what were you looking at?

My guess? Hot single Moms.

BillyMac Sun May 25, 2014 12:57pm

Very Cool, Thanks ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by JetMetFan (Post 934822)
As for the program, it's from sportsdood.com.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2898/1...ea6d2b9e_m.jpg

Mark Padgett Sun May 25, 2014 01:16pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 934823)
My guess? Hot single Moms.

No - if there had been any, I would have been there. :rolleyes:

JetMetFan Sun May 25, 2014 01:17pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 934820)
(JetMetFan: What did you use to create your cool visual aid? Also, do you like working with tinypic.com? I've been using Flickr to pin a URL (web address) to my own photos, and images.)

Tiny pic has worked fine for me. That's how I got this image on the forum. I'm going to send a note to the sportsdood person to ask him to put in an option for three officials as well as a HS/College basketball court. He responded to my request on another program so it's worth a shot.

As for the hot, single moms: Not me! :D And I can't even give the other guy credit for that. He had these momentary concentration blips that were just random. A few times as I prepared to administer throw-ins I looked at him to make sure he was ready and he was staring at the ceiling. Like, for about five seconds. There were no escaped birds in the gym so I'm not sure what was up.

Seriously, if I knew there was ever a chance I'd work with him again I would've suggested he attend a few camps to improve his training. The guy had all the requisite state HS patches on his shirt but in addition to at least five calls he made right in front of me that were wrong he had a big issue with continuous motion.

BillyMac Sun May 25, 2014 04:00pm

Check It Out ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by JetMetFan (Post 934832)
I'm going to send a note to the sportsdood person to ask him to put in an option for three officials as well as a HS/College basketball court.

There already is an option for a high school, or a college court. Right after you select basketball as a sport, just click on the icon in the upper right hand corner, the one that looks like a restore (restore up, or down) icon, after the half court icon.

No option for three officials. The programmer must be from Connecticut.

https://c2.staticflickr.com/4/3775/1...8029f778_m.jpg

BillyMac Sun May 25, 2014 04:02pm

Everybody's Got Start Somewhere ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by JetMetFan (Post 934832)
I would've suggested he attend a few camps to improve his training.

Good attitude. Good partner. A lot of officials would have just thrown him under the bus and forgotten about him.

JetMetFan Sun May 25, 2014 04:04pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 934837)
There already is an option for a high school, or a college court. Right after you select basketball as a sport, just click on the icon in the upper right hand corner, the one that looks like a restore (restore up, or down) icon, after the half court icon.

No option for three officials. The programmer must be from Connecticut.

Ah, so there is. Thanks. I hadn't clicked through all the icons. Given the default is the NBA court I'm surprised the developer didn't include a 3-official option.

update... There *is* a 3-official option. Hold ctrl and scroll or click on the box for # of officials.

JRutledge Mon May 26, 2014 12:51am

Well this is summer ball and I am lucky to get a partner that would even be the the half court based on where players are located in this pic. I would have personally moved on and not worried about the call. They can yell at him all day for all I would care. ;)

Peace

APG Mon May 26, 2014 01:29am

Must have been a crew saver if your partner came in all that way to help you...

Buy him a beer after the game. ;)

AremRed Mon May 26, 2014 01:57am

Has anyone ever overruled their partner in a case like this? Or do you always just go with it?

just another ref Mon May 26, 2014 02:27am

Quote:

Originally Posted by AremRed (Post 934850)
Has anyone ever overruled their partner in a case like this? Or do you always just go with it?

By rule, you can't overrule a call, no matter how wrong it may be.

You can give a partner information and allow him to change his own call, but I've never seen it on a travel.