The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed May 14, 2014, 06:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Pennsylvania Coach View Post
So?
My mistake. AremRed said it better than I did. At the point of contact.

I can be persuaded otherwise on the call itself but my overall point is no one put air in a whistle. If there was ever a play where you could have a triple whistle and an observer wouldn't complain, this would be the one. I agree with Jeff (geez, not again ): the C may not have had the best look, which is basically the look we have on camera. That being said if he didn't have the best look it may have been because he followed the ball. So now we're left with the...

*T, who didn't seem to look ahead of the BH/dribbler once she beat her primary defender and the...
*L, who at the point of contact was doing a little Tower of Pisa lean into the lane and may have blocked himself out. He's watching the post, which is good, but one of the players he's watching ends up becoming the secondary defender so he really should've known her status (LGP/no LGP) at the point of contact.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)

Last edited by JetMetFan; Wed May 14, 2014 at 06:09am.
Old Wed May 14, 2014, 06:52am
Get away from me, Steve.

Anyone else hope that when video like this is posted it's not from their state?

Oh, well.
Old Wed May 14, 2014, 07:57am
Official Forum Member

I have a charge, but there needs to be a call either way. Game awareness might help. Twenty point game in the third quarter, and the losing team was likely on edge already and I am betting it wasn't the first comments from the bench. Definitely a T, but like others have said, he needed to step away. If she continues at him, then it is a no-brainer. Of course, we do not want the same official giving both T's, but sometimes, we do not have a choice. Had the official stepped away and then she continued at him with the "horrible" comments, no one would lose any sleep over him giving her the second as well. One of the co-officials needed to be quicker to step in as well.
Old Wed May 14, 2014, 09:36am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toren View Post
We need to call something and calling two T's is not the something I'm referring to...okay the coach gets one for mouthing off, but then I give a lot of leeway, especially cause we just kicked this play.
I'm not inclined to give a lot of rope when I kick a play, for two reasons.

1. Most of the time, I don't think I kicked it.

2. Officials miss calls all the time, and coaches still need to maintain their composure.

The irony is this coach lost her mind because the officials missed a call that should have gone against her player anyway. Even if I was inclined to give rope to a coach when I kick a call, that wouldn't apply if my kicking the call went in her favor. Who knows, maybe they gave her player a break because of time and score, maybe they just missed it: either way....

Last edited by Adam; Wed May 14, 2014 at 09:40am. Reason: added thought
Old Wed May 14, 2014, 10:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post

2. Officials miss calls all the time, and coaches still need to maintain their composure.

The irony is this coach lost her mind because the officials missed a call that should have gone against her player anyway. Even if I was inclined to give rope to a coach when I kick a call, that wouldn't apply if my kicking the call went in her favor. Who knows, maybe they gave her player a break because of time and score, maybe they just missed it: either way....
Love this post. Just because I was straight lined or kicked a call.....does not give you permission to look like a moron.

Remember those refs who wore the GoPro's......I was thinking about wearing it for every game and emailing the coach/player/fan the video of how idiotic they look to me. We see vids on YouTube about the refs......as refs we need to fight back and post vid of the crazy we see
Old Wed May 14, 2014, 10:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The irony is this coach lost her mind because the officials missed a call that should have gone against her player anyway.
My guess is the coach lost her mind a bit because her player ended up a little hurt - might have been due to the shove she got from the kid who fell on her after the play, but it doesn't really matter. Especially in girls ball, any time a kid ends up on the floor, you tend to hear the "someone's gonna get hurt out there" nonsense. Of course the coach will want a call to go her way. I bet she would have gone even more crazy if they called a PC - only because her kid appeared to be hurt. I'm not saying that would be proper behavior - just basing it on experience.
Old Wed May 14, 2014, 10:29am
AremRed

All of those advocating a charge call here....good luck dealing with the coach after you make that call. If you thought she was pissed at the no-call, imagine her surprise when you're going the other way.
Old Wed May 14, 2014, 10:32am
Esteemed Participant

The thing about this video that bothers me the most is the L standing across the court dribbling the ball while all the crap is going down...he should have, imo, been the one to make the call, doesn't, and then does nothing to help his partner out.
Old Wed May 14, 2014, 10:38am
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetMetFan View Post
*L, who at the point of contact was doing a little Tower of Pisa lean into the lane and may have blocked himself out. He's watching the post, which is good, but one of the players he's watching ends up becoming the secondary defender so he really should've known her status (LGP/no LGP) at the point of contact.
I don't know what Lead was doing but he needs to do better. This is his play.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathReferee View Post
I have a charge, but there needs to be a call either way. Game awareness might help. Twenty point game in the third quarter, and the losing team was likely on edge already and I am betting it wasn't the first comments from the bench. Definitely a T, but like others have said, he needed to step away. If she continues at him, then it is a no-brainer. Of course, we do not want the same official giving both T's, but sometimes, we do not have a choice. Had the official stepped away and then she continued at him with the "horrible" comments, no one would lose any sleep over him giving her the second as well. One of the co-officials needed to be quicker to step in as well.
Great points, I agree.

Quote:
I'm not inclined to give a lot of rope when I kick a play, for two reasons.

Oh I agree that there is a certain line that can still not be crossed when I give a coach more rope. I'm not gonna allow profanity or personal comments.....I might just be a little lax on prolonged comments. Of course if the coach is still complaining a few trips later I'm going to ask him to move on. Obviously we need to take care of business when deserved but we should still try to manage the game before we have to resort to a tech.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfan1981 View Post
Remember those refs who wore the GoPro's......I was thinking about wearing it for every game and emailing the coach/player/fan the video of how idiotic they look to me. We see vids on YouTube about the refs......as refs we need to fight back and post vid of the crazy we see
Was that GoPro footage released?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad View Post
The thing about this video that bothers me the most is the L standing across the court dribbling the ball while all the crap is going down...he should have, imo, been the one to make the call, doesn't, and then does nothing to help his partner out.
It's the sad truth man, the tableside official usually gets most of the crap even if not his/her play.
Old Wed May 14, 2014, 11:13am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
All of those advocating a charge call here....good luck dealing with the coach after you make that call. If you thought she was pissed at the no-call, imagine her surprise when you're going the other way.
Yep.

So?
Old Wed May 14, 2014, 11:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Not necessarily. If the crew had made a call, even a charge, she may have not reacted at all or at least not as much. I think the lack of a call with a player who was injured is what infuriated her so much. It is when the officials don't make a call when it was clear there was a foul that is the problem.
Old Wed May 14, 2014, 12:26pm
Eschew obfuscation.

Much of what was said already I agree with. I have a charge btw.

I'll pregame plays like this. I say something like, "If we have bodies on the floor and it warrants a call, I don't care if we have a block or a charge because if we have nothing, we're 100% wrong. If we at least have a whistle on the play, we will have at worst a 50/50 shot of getting it right. I'll take 50/50 over 100% wrong every time."
Old Wed May 14, 2014, 12:40pm
NFHS Official

First time I watched it I had a PC. watched it three more times and still have a PC. Don't know what she said to get the second one, but it must have been the magic words, as she was walking away. He needed to get away and one of his partners needed to get in and be a buffer. Let her vent then settle her down. If she needs another one, let one of the other two do it if at all possible.

Last edited by OKREF; Wed May 14, 2014 at 12:44pm.
Old Wed May 14, 2014, 12:43pm
NFHS Official

Quote:
So what. That's a charge.
Old Wed May 14, 2014, 12:59pm
Official Forum Member

Good discussion and I agree that there could have been more participation in the situation by the other two officials. I haven't worked basketball for a few years now and I have a philosophy-type question. I fully realize that the answer to this may differ depending on where each of you are and your local practices.

As a softball umpire, I have been taught that if I eject a coach, I'm done with that coach. I'm not going to talk anymore to him or her and it's up to my partner(s) to deal with the coach and get him/her out of the area so we can continue the game. Is this same philosophy taught in basketball? Thanks.