AremRed

Play 1: Charge

Play 2: Nothing

Play 3: Charge

Play 4: Flagrant 1

Play 5: Travel
Old Sat Mar 29, 2014, 06:44pm
Official Forum Member

Play 1: Charge. Even by the upward motion standard, the defender still makes it to his spot in time. The offensive player can't be considered in his upward motion prior to beginning his jump from the floor right next to the defender.

Play 2: Tough to tell, but it looks as if the offensive play put his hand in his opponent's throat. That should indeed be a TC foul.

Play 3: This is a charge and it is not similar to play 1 as the offensive player leads with his knee.

Play 4: Clear Flagrant 1. The offensive player holds his arm in an unnatural position solely to ward off the defender. He is fully responsible when contact to the opponent's head occurs. I'd penalize this with an intentional personal foul in a HS game.

Play 5: That is definitely a travel before he gets fouled. I noticed this play because of a call I made during a HS playoff game. Similar play in a similar situation--I called the travel instead of the foul and it wasn't well-received.
I may start another thread to discuss this play.
Old Sat Mar 29, 2014, 08:19pm
Do not give a damn!!

Play #1: I have a charge. The BH gathers but then does not go up immediately. That is a charge all the way IMO.

Play #2: A little embellishment. I would not want to call that kind of play if that was the first time it happened.

Play #3: Looks like a charge to me again. The player does not start his upward motion until after he gathers the ball.

Play #4: Very good call. Elbow clearly outside of his frame and unnatural.

Play #5: It is close, but probably would not call a travel in that situation.

Peace
Old Sat Mar 29, 2014, 10:32pm
Play through it!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Play #1: I have a charge. The BH gathers but then does not go up immediately. That is a charge all the way IMO.

Play #2: A little embellishment. I would not want to call that kind of play if that was the first time it happened.

Play #3: Looks like a charge to me again. The player does not start his upward motion until after he gathers the ball.

Play #4: Very good call. Elbow clearly outside of his frame and unnatural.

Play #5: It is close, but probably would not call a travel in that situation.

Peace
I agree with you on all counts with the exception of play #2.

At first glance it may seem like he was really embellishing (and he did some IMO), but when taking another look at it there were 2 hands placed on the defender and then both arms extended when he pushed off him to get open, so I agree with this call 100%.