The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Mar 27, 2014, 09:32am
Official Forum Member

Odd Throw-in

This play happened to me in my last game of the season. I'll try to describe as best as I can.

Team B scored a basket. Team B coach called timeout (they were behind). Team A retains the right to run the endline on the throw-in. As we resume play, two Team A players were standing OOB: A1 next to me and A2 on the other side of the lane. At first, I did not know what was going on so I asked A2 standing OOB (the one farther from me) that he can't stay OOB and should go on the court. He reluctantly did so.

I blew my whistle, handed the ball to A1 for the throw-in. As soon as I handed the ball, A2 went OOB again. After about 2 secs on my count, A1 passed the ball to A2 and then A2 proceeded to throw-in the ball with no other issues. I let the play continue.

There was some defensive pressure on the back court, so after this whole episode happened, it finally occurred to me what Team A was doing. Sort of like a trick play to let the defense initially pressure A1 who ended up being a decoy. Not necessary for this play (imo) since there was no real man-to-man pressure on A1. Obviously something the coach drew up and wanted executed.

Is there a violation on this?

My initial thought was no (hence I didn't call anything) since this would be no different than had the timeout not been called - A1 picking up the ball after the basket, goes OOB then A2 asking for the ball to do the throw-in instead. I reasoned that since Team A retained "run the endline", this play was fine as well.

Of course there's no question that this is not legal if it were a spot throw-in, once the ball is at A1's disposal.
Old Thu Mar 27, 2014, 09:36am
Official Forum Member

No violation, relatively common play.

A can run the endline or pass the ball behind the endline to another player.
Old Thu Mar 27, 2014, 09:45am
Official Forum Member

Always listen to bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
No violation, relatively common play.

A can run the endline or pass the ball behind the endline to another player.
NFHS Rules 7-5-7 a.

Last edited by Rob1968; Thu Mar 27, 2014 at 10:13am.
Old Thu Mar 27, 2014, 10:07am
Official Forum Member

What about the first part of the OP scenario? What is the authority for having A2 step back onto the court before the throw-in gets underway? Is A2 considered to have left the court for an unauthorized reason, under NFHS 9-3-3? Intuitively, I think actuary77 handled it properly (and "preventively"), but I cannot find anything specific to this situation.
Old Thu Mar 27, 2014, 10:12am
Official Forum Member

My only thing to add on this is I've seen teams try to execute this play when they had a spot throw in, which is a violation. If you aren't paying attention (which I wasn' the first time it happened) you will miss that. I didnt miss it the second time the did it.

You also have to watch for the defender breakng the plane and knocking the pass away. That would be a technical foul.
Old Thu Mar 27, 2014, 10:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRZ View Post
What about the first part of the OP scenario? What is the authority for having A2 step back onto the court before the throw-in gets underway? Is A2 considered to have left the court for an unauthorized reason, under NFHS 9-3-3? Intuitively, I think actuary77 handled it properly (and "preventively"), but I cannot find anything specific to this situation.
A2 (and A3 A4 and A5) are all allowed to be off the court (on the endline) during and before this type of throw-in.
Old Thu Mar 27, 2014, 10:58am
AremRed

Sadly I saw this play in my first Middle School game and called a violation. Consulted my partner but he agreed with me. Thankfully didn't have to whack the coach.

My questions (since there appear to be no case plays): is there a limit on the number of times the players can pass between each other? Can both players run the end line simultaneously?
Old Thu Mar 27, 2014, 11:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
Sadly I saw this play in my first Middle School game and called a violation. Consulted my partner but he agreed with me. Thankfully didn't have to whack the coach.

My questions (since there appear to be no case plays): is there a limit on the number of times the players can pass between each other? Can both players run the end line simultaneously?
As a general statement -- they can do anything they want, for 5 seconds.
Old Thu Mar 27, 2014, 11:32am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post

All 5 players could do a Rockette chorus line. For 5 seconds, anyway.
Old Thu Mar 27, 2014, 11:43am
Official Forum Member

Rule 7-5-7(a): "Any player...may pass the ball along the end line to a teammate(s) outside the boundary." The plural implies more than one teammate OOB and more than one pass. I missed this earlier.
Old Thu Mar 27, 2014, 12:09pm
AremRed

Ok when a team starts doing the weave OOB I'll make sure not to call anything.....until their 5 seconds is up.
Old Thu Mar 27, 2014, 03:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRZ View Post
Actually, he was wrong. The rule requiring no teammate of the thrower to be out of bounds during the throw-in only applies to a designated-spot throw-in. There is a specific rule stating that a team may have more than one player OOB for an end line throw-in. He should have allowed Team A to set up as they desired.
Old Thu Mar 27, 2014, 05:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Actually, he was wrong. The rule requiring no teammate of the thrower to be out of bounds during the throw-in only applies to a designated-spot throw-in. There is a specific rule stating that a team may have more than one player OOB for an end line throw-in. He should have allowed Team A to set up as they desired.
Yes, I know now; bob jenkins and Rich pointed out earlier, and Rob1968 cited the rule, Rule 7-5-7(a), which I had missed before.