The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Mar 23, 2014, 08:15pm
Courageous When Prudent

On the first video, I have less of a problem with that no-call on the first play then I do the with the Trail calling a fall on the second play while he is straight-lined. He had no business putting a whistle on that play.

On the travel call, the official may have thought he lifted his pivot foot after gaining possession, prior to starting his dribble (which was not the case). I don't think he called it b/c of the fumble.

Last edited by Raymond; Sun Mar 23, 2014 at 08:34pm.
Old Mon Mar 24, 2014, 08:35am
Official Forum Member

What is the justification for a no-call on the first block? The defender is not vertical, makes body contact prior to, or simultaneous to, the block. That has got to be a foul.

And then to come down the floor and call a foul on red with what looks like good D?

Fumble, no travel.
Old Mon Mar 24, 2014, 10:50am
Official Forum Member

I'm all for letting the defense play and not penalizing them, but that first block was a foul.
Old Mon Mar 24, 2014, 11:11am
Esteemed Participant

This first play is a great example of why new L's are told to get to the endline and get set up to receive the play. This L actually slows down and is shuffling the last 10 feet or so instead of busting his butt to get down there. As a result, I honestly don't think he even sees the defender coming from the inside to try to block the shot. Had he hustled and got down there and been in position, he might have had a better look at it.

And yes, I know we all get beat at times. This guy didn't get beat, he eased up.

So...could the C have come in with a whistle on that play? You NCAA-M guys can answer that...in an NCAA-W game, I would expect the C to have secondary whistle on that play.
Old Mon Mar 24, 2014, 12:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad View Post
This first play is a great example of why new L's are told to get to the endline and get set up to receive the play. This L actually slows down and is shuffling the last 10 feet or so instead of busting his butt to get down there. As a result, I honestly don't think he even sees the defender coming from the inside to try to block the shot. Had he hustled and got down there and been in position, he might have had a better look at it.

And yes, I know we all get beat at times. This guy didn't get beat, he eased up.

So...could the C have come in with a whistle on that play? You NCAA-M guys can answer that...in an NCAA-W game, I would expect the C to have secondary whistle on that play.
To me it looks like both the L and the C are straight-lined, thus the no call. What if the T comes and gets this? Too much of a reach? Bad blood after the game?
Old Mon Mar 24, 2014, 01:07pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooster View Post
To me it looks like both the L and the C are straight-lined, thus the no call. What if the T comes and gets this? Too much of a reach? Bad blood after the game?
The Trail is looking for goaltending, a hit to the head, or contact to the forearm and wrist on this play. He's going to let the Lead determine body contact.
Old Mon Mar 24, 2014, 01:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
The Trail is looking for goaltending, a hit to the head, or contact to the forearm and wrist on this play. He's going to let the Lead determine body contact.
Yes, of course. Duh me...
Old Mon Mar 24, 2014, 01:44pm
Official Forum Member

Post Driving my wife nuts...

It's these types of sequences that drive me nuts when watching college games (and my verbal spewage leads to my wife being driven nuts too), and also give me an appreciation of why inconsistency in calls drives coaches bananas.

I saw this live and was explaining to my wife about how that sequence of the non-foul and then foul was bad officiating, if for nothing else it was not consistent rulings on back-to-back similar plays.

FWIW - I agree with the "should have been a foul" on the Syracuse defender and "should have been a no call" on the Dayton player.
Old Mon Mar 24, 2014, 03:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RefCT View Post
It's these types of sequences that drive me nuts when watching college games (and my verbal spewage leads to my wife being driven nuts too), and also give me an appreciation of why inconsistency in calls drives coaches bananas.

I saw this live and was explaining to my wife about how that sequence of the non-foul and then foul was bad officiating, if for nothing else it was not consistent rulings on back-to-back similar plays.

FWIW - I agree with the "should have been a foul" on the Syracuse defender and "should have been a no call" on the Dayton player.
Exactly. And it was the same guy who no called the Syracuse foul, and then called a block on Dayton when he had a L looking right at it that no called it. I would get reemed on an evaluation for that sequence at the HS level. That is the kind of call that makes a coach lose his mind if the game is big enough, then we have to deal with all of that.
Old Mon Mar 24, 2014, 05:19pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

I quit watching after the first foul (the one that wasn't called). I get letting a bit of body contact go when it doesn't create an advantage, but that's not this play.
Old Mon Mar 24, 2014, 05:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
What if he saw the body contact? Is this crew-saver territory? Especially considering the double whammy Syracuse gets on the next play on the other end? Not trying to be argumentative and all, just curious, having most of my experience in two whistles... (For the record my guess: it's not CS territory.)
Old Mon Mar 24, 2014, 06:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I don't think the lead had a good angle on that play...in fact it was a poor angle. The trail had the best view through the players here and should come get that if the lead doesn't.
Old Mon Mar 24, 2014, 09:29pm
NFHS Official

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooster View Post
I think this is the right answer. Someone has to get this. Especially since they go to the other end and really, really reach for one there.
Old Mon Mar 24, 2014, 09:43pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKREF View Post
I think this is the right answer. Someone has to get this. Especially since they go to the other end and really, really reach for one there.
The travesty is the foul call on the other end. The first play was clearly seen by the Lead and he passed on it. The Trail is trusting his partners' judgment and ref'n his portion of the play, which is the stuff going on at or above the rim. The first play was not a crew-saving call that needed to be made.
Old Mon Mar 24, 2014, 10:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The travesty is the foul call on the other end. The first play was clearly seen by the Lead and he passed on it. The Trail is trusting his partners' judgment and ref'n his portion of the play, which is the stuff going on at or above the rim. The first play was not a crew-saving call that needed to be made.
Sounds good to me, except this. I do think he passed because he would have been guessing. Everything else is good stuff for me.