The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 24, 2014, 11:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad View Post
So...could the C have come in with a whistle on that play? You NCAA-M guys can answer that...in an NCAA-W game, I would expect the C to have secondary whistle on that play.
Rocky, I'm not sure that would have been an easy one for the C to get in one of our games just because of the defender's angle. The C probably sees the contact and the block but most likely would've had trouble figuring out which came first.

I think the T would definitely get it since we don't have to worry about the above-the-rim stuff. Heck, I know I picked up a couple of those this past season.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Tue Mar 25, 2014, 12:05am
AremRed

Play 1: Foul. This reminds me of the recent Big 10 tournament game where the Trail called this sort of contact. Here is the thread.

Play 2: Not a travel. Unfortunately many referees will call this, which leads to fans, players, and coaches expecting this to be called every time.
Old Tue Mar 25, 2014, 07:14am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
Play 1: Foul. This reminds me of the recent Big 10 tournament game where the Trail called this sort of contact. Here is the thread.
Totally different play, and the Trail had an unobstructed to the contact that the Lead could not see because he stopped running and crouched down.
Old Tue Mar 25, 2014, 10:49am
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Totally different play, and the Trail had an unobstructed to the contact that the Lead could not see because he stopped running and crouched down.
Every play is different, that's why I said "reminds".
Old Tue Mar 25, 2014, 10:53am
Do not give a damn!!

In the first video: I do not see a foul on the second play. I see more of a foul on the block, but understand why a foul was not called. Let them be athletes.

In the second video: Absolutely no travel. It was clearly a bobble.

Peace
Old Tue Mar 25, 2014, 10:54am
Get away from me, Steve.

I get why the L passed on the contact, but I wouldn't have. The body contact wasn't incidental to the blocked shot, IMO. Sometimes, it's just a foul.

I agree with the shuffling into position comments above -- he ended up straight-lining himself by not getting to the end line.
Old Tue Mar 25, 2014, 11:01am
Official Forum Member

2nd Video: Fumble, shuffle, gather, one" power dribble" (very difficult to see - the ball between the ballhandlers legs).
So, if the C didn't see the dribble, or thought the ballhandler had his pivot foot off the floor when he dribbled, he could justify the travel call.
The timing of his whistle seems to indicate that he didn't make the call at the time of the fumble.
Old Tue Mar 25, 2014, 02:34pm
Official Forum Member

Trust your partner on misdemenors

I found it ironic that on the the first play ( block shot ), that the T trusted the lead and off they went down the other end.....however on the other end the T comes and calls a foul on a guy going 57 in a 55 when another cop has been on the scene for the whole play.....

No way am I getting that marginal play from the T, now maybe some of you super heroes or anybody working NCAA - W would get those calls, but definitely not in the leagues along the east coast.....heck you could get shot along the I - 95 corridor for calling that during the summer ( and in Hampton as well, BNR )
Old Tue Mar 25, 2014, 02:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooster
What if he saw the body contact? Is this crew-saver territory? Especially considering the double whammy Syracuse gets on the next play on the other end? Not trying to be argumentative and all, just curious, having most of my experience in two whistles... (For the record my guess: it's not CS territory.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OKREF View Post
I think this is the right answer. Someone has to get this. Especially since they go to the other end and really, really reach for one there.
So ... the first foul should have been called ESPECIALLY because they knew they were about to call one the other way in the future? Really?

West Houston Mike
Old Tue Mar 25, 2014, 02:51pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetMetFan View Post
Rocky, I'm not sure that would have been an easy one for the C to get in one of our games just because of the defender's angle. The C probably sees the contact and the block but most likely would've had trouble figuring out which came first.

I think the T would definitely get it since we don't have to worry about the above-the-rim stuff. Heck, I know I picked up a couple of those this past season.
Hmmm...I can see that coming from the T. Would like to think the C would hustle down and get into position to have an angle on the play. But then I think the L should have hustled down also.
Old Tue Mar 25, 2014, 03:19pm
NFHS Official

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
So ... the first foul should have been called ESPECIALLY because they knew they were about to call one the other way in the future? Really?
What I mean is, the first one needs a whistle. But if for whatever reason it is passed on, no way does the second play need a whistle.
Old Tue Mar 25, 2014, 10:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
OK, I'll play.

So ... you've never had an evaluator at a camp or a supervisor jump your shiza for not making a call, then making a bad call on the other end? Or riding you about calling a travel on A1 and then calling a foul on B1? Or whatever call, that in conjunction with another bad call, made the two plays stand out. What prognostic powers did he have? My turn... Really?
Old Wed Mar 26, 2014, 02:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooster View Post
OK, I'll play.

So ... you've never had an evaluator at a camp or a supervisor jump your shiza for not making a call, then making a bad call on the other end? Or riding you about calling a travel on A1 and then calling a foul on B1? Or whatever call, that in conjunction with another bad call, made the two plays stand out. What prognostic powers did he have? My turn... Really?
MD can certainly speak for himself.

I tend to agree with your implication. I find it comical when, with the advantage of hindsight, as in the situation you proposed, an evaluator criticizes actions which were unrelated, except forensically/rhetorically, and post-occurence. It always smacks of the fallacy of the basic scientific method of evaluation - "A exists, and then B exists, therefore A must have caused B." Or, in this case, "therefore, both A and B must be the results of a similar cause."
Old Wed Mar 26, 2014, 07:13am
NFHS Official

It does speak to decision making though. "Why would you let A go, then put a whistle on B".
Old Wed Mar 26, 2014, 10:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKREF View Post
It does speak to decision making though. "Why would you let A go, then put a whistle on B".
Chicken dinner!