The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Mar 20, 2014, 01:34pm
Official Forum Member

Another book Tech

Cincinati just got called for a administrative T against Harvard.Yikes two in about a week.
The golfing volleyball ref and official scorekeeper
Old Thu Mar 20, 2014, 01:37pm
Official Forum Member

What is the rule NCAA?

Once the technical is assessed, can the player then enter the game?
Old Thu Mar 20, 2014, 01:38pm
AremRed

Goaltend at 10:15?

Ninja edit: it was a goaltend.
Old Thu Mar 20, 2014, 01:40pm
beware big brother

Quote:
Originally Posted by mplagrow View Post
No, he has to sit out this game and the next!
Old Thu Mar 20, 2014, 01:40pm
Official Forum Member

I believe the college rule is the same as the NFHS rule on this.Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
The golfing volleyball ref and official scorekeeper
Old Thu Mar 20, 2014, 01:41pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCalScoreKeeper View Post
I believe the college rule is the same as the NFHS rule on this.Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
It is exactly the same.

Peace
Old Thu Mar 20, 2014, 02:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Yes.

If they weren't not the game and didn't want to enter the game they wouldn't have to charge the T to begin with.
Old Thu Mar 20, 2014, 02:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Consider the rule ... the technical is actually for having to write the player's name in the rulebook, not for him entering.

West Houston Mike
Old Thu Mar 20, 2014, 03:08pm
beware big brother

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
Consider the rule ... the technical is actually for having to write the player's name in the rulebook, not for him entering.
Not exactly true in NCAA-M rules. The name has to be on the roster submitted. If the official scorer makes a mistake and doesn't enter the name in the scorebook, the name can be added without penalty. While many of us would apply the same principle to a HS game, the wording of the rule is slightly different, and a mistake by the score keeper is not expressed as an exception as it is in the NCAA-M rule. If you go strictly by the wording of the HS rule, you would have to penalize the team when the name is added even if it was on the roster they submitted.
Old Thu Mar 20, 2014, 03:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny d View Post
Not exactly true in NCAA-M rules. The name has to be on the roster submitted. If the official scorer makes a mistake and doesn't enter the name in the scorebook, the name can be added without penalty. While many of us would apply the same principle to a HS game, the wording of the rule is slightly different, and a mistake by the score keeper is not expressed as an exception as it is in the NCAA-M rule. If you go strictly by the wording of the HS rule, you would have to penalize the team when the name is added even if it was on the roster they submitted.
Actually, the HS rule states "the team member list", not scorebook.

10-1
ART. 1

A team shall not:

Fail to supply the scorer with the name and number of each team member who may participate and designate the five starting players at least 10 minutes before the scheduled starting time.

PENALTY: (Art. 1) One foul for both requirements. Penalized when it occurs

ART. 2

A team shall not:

After the 10-minute time limit specified in Article 1:

a. Change a designated starter unless necessitated as in 3-2-2a.

b. Add a name to the team member list.

c. Require the scorer to change a team member's or player's number in the scorebook.

d. Require a player to change to the number in the scorebook.

e. Have identical numbers on team members and/or players.
Old Thu Mar 20, 2014, 03:27pm
beware big brother

Quote:
Originally Posted by PG_Ref View Post
Actually, the HS rule states "the team member list", not scorebook.

10-1
ART. 1

A team shall not:

Fail to supply the scorer with the name and number of each team member who may participate and designate the five starting players at least 10 minutes before the scheduled starting time.

PENALTY: (Art. 1) One foul for both requirements. Penalized when it occurs

ART. 2

A team shall not:

After the 10-minute time limit specified in Article 1:

a. Change a designated starter unless necessitated as in 3-2-2a.

b. Add a name to the team member list.

c. Require the scorer to change a team member's or player's number in the scorebook.

d. Require a player to change to the number in the scorebook.

e. Have identical numbers on team members and/or players.

good catch
Old Thu Mar 20, 2014, 03:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Some of what you say is correct, but the part about my statement being not exactly true is not.

What I said was that the technical foul was not for the player entering, but was for having to write him in. Which is absolutely true. I did not say it was ALWAYS a T for that, just that the T, in the case we're talking about, is for writing him in - not for him entering. My statement was in response to a specific question, and not a global catch-all statement.

West Houston Mike
Old Thu Mar 20, 2014, 03:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Completely wrong!
You've made several declarative, yet incorrect, statements about NFHS rules since you began posting on this forum. I politely asked you how many HS games you still work as opposed to NCAA and you stated that you do very few HS contests at this time. I'm sure that you are a quality official and you perspective is welcome on the forum, but would you please stop making such definite posts about the HS rules without consulting the books first?
Old Thu Mar 20, 2014, 03:56pm
beware big brother

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Completely wrong!
You've made several declarative, yet incorrect, statements about NFHS rules since you began posting on this forum. I politely asked you how many HS games you still work as opposed to NCAA and you stated that you do very few HS contests at this time. I'm sure that you are a quality official and you perspective is welcome on the forum, but would you please stop making such definite posts about the HS rules without consulting the books first?

I made this statement because I had a situation in a HS game this year where the scorekeeper did not transcribe the names from the roster to the score book correctly. When they informed us during the game, I consulted the roster, saw the name on the list, and did not assess an administrative technical foul. Needless to say, the other coach was not happy and he complained to the assignment chair, who happens to be the head rules interpreter for our state and also assigns two college leagues I work in. He told me I was wrong for applying a college rule to a HS game. I took him at his word, and did not check the actual wording of the NFHS book saying list rather than score book. My fault.

I only make two types of statements on the forum, definitive and smart-assed. I don't anticipate this changing any time in the near future, but I will think about consulting the NFHS book first.

Last edited by johnny d; Thu Mar 20, 2014 at 04:01pm.
Old Thu Mar 20, 2014, 04:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I made this statement because I had a situation in a HS game this year where the scorekeeper did not transcribe the names from the roster to the score book correctly. When they informed us during the game, I consulted the roster, saw the name on the list, and did not assess an administrative technical foul. Needless to say, the other coach was not happy and he complained to the assignment chair, who happens to be the head rules interpreter for our state and also assigns two college leagues I work in. He told me I was wrong for applying a college rule to a HS game. I took him at his word, and did not check the actual wording of the NFHS book saying list rather than score book. My fault.
See, you are an excellent official. You nailed that situation. In fact, we have posted exactly that scenario on this forum a few times in the past and stated to do just what you did in consulting the roster submitted to the scorer. Now if we could only get your assignor to open the NFHS rules book!
It's rather embarrassing when the state rule interpreter is wrong.

Last edited by Nevadaref; Thu Mar 20, 2014 at 04:05pm.