Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 17, 2014, 02:30pm
Esteemed Forum Member

No, It's Not A Ponzi Scheme ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Language is fluid and changes all the time with slang and dialect.
I'm on a personal campaign to bring back the word, "Groovy". It's a cool word, and even sounds cool to say it, it kind of flows off your tongue.

Now if all Forum members can try to use this word at least once every day, and if they can get two others to so the same, and if they can get two others to do the same, etc., etc., then we'll get, "Groovy", right back into circulation. It never should have left everyday language usage to begin with.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Mon Mar 17, 2014, 02:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I have read that it is not technically correct. Again, it really depends on who is saying it and where you are saying that word. Language is fluid and changes all the time with slang and dialect.
Language DOES change, and what becomes so commonplace can sometimes become accepted. Technically, "Can I have some water?" is incorrect, but so few people say "May I" anymore that it may soon become accepted by use.

Not so with irregardless. I have never seen a credible grammar source or dictionary--and I have looked extensively--that suggests "irregardless" is accepted or interchangeable with "regardless." All recommend, much like the Oxford dictionary: "Irregardless is widely heard, perhaps arising under the influence of such perfectly correct forms as irrespective , but should be avoided by careful users of English. Use regardless to mean ‘without regard or consideration for’ or ‘nevertheless’."

It is however, clearly understood what the user is saying when they say "irregardless," and it is boorish to correct the user. But I think it would be GROOVY if we all used the more proper word.

Oh, and I didn't make a pre-season prediction, but 3 Ts. 2 for substitutions, 1 for unsportsmanlike spiking the ball after a call.
Old Mon Mar 17, 2014, 03:07pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dexter555 View Post
Language DOES change, and what becomes so commonplace can sometimes become accepted. Technically, "Can I have some water?" is incorrect, but so few people say "May I" anymore that it may soon become accepted by use.

Not so with irregardless. I have never seen a credible grammar source or dictionary--and I have looked extensively--that suggests "irregardless" is accepted or interchangeable with "regardless." All recommend, much like the Oxford dictionary: "Irregardless is widely heard, perhaps arising under the influence of such perfectly correct forms as irrespective , but should be avoided by careful users of English. Use regardless to mean ‘without regard or consideration for’ or ‘nevertheless’."
And the English language is one of the most difficult languages because the language has so many different words that mean the same thing. And if you look to our people across the pond that tend to speak English too, but have many different sayings or standards of speaking, I find it funny that people get all upset when we use terms that have variations in speech. If I go to other parts of the country or world, no one is making a big issue out of these words the way we do in this country.

Peace
Old Mon Mar 17, 2014, 03:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
And the English language is one of the most difficult languages because the language has so many different words that mean the same thing. And if you look to our people across the pond that tend to speak English too, but have many different sayings or standards of speaking, I find it funny that people get all upset when we use terms that have variations in speech. If I go to other parts of the country or world, no one is making a big issue out of these words the way we do in this country.
Couldn't agree more. After studying other languages, I can only imagine how difficult it is to learn English. And you're spot on about other languages. There are so many variants of many world languages. I readily admit my anal retentiveness about grammar. My mother was a high school English/grammar teacher and I grew up with constant correction. But that's a story for group therapy, not this forum! And it was most definitely NOT groovy to have her teach in the same school I attended...
Old Mon Mar 17, 2014, 06:43pm
Back from the DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dexter555 View Post
Not so with irregardless. I have never seen a credible grammar source or dictionary--and I have looked extensively--that suggests "irregardless" is accepted or interchangeable with "regardless."
There it is. If you put "ir" before a word, it becomes that word's opposite (e.g. irrational, opposite of rational). When one says "irregardless," one means "regardless." That alone is wrong... or irrational.
Old Mon Mar 17, 2014, 06:53pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post
There it is. If you put "ir" before a word, it becomes that word's opposite (e.g. irrational, opposite of rational). When one says "irregardless," one means "regardless." That alone is wrong... or irrational.
There seems to be a debate.

Peace
Old Mon Mar 17, 2014, 07:46pm
Esteemed Forum Member

That's A Knife ...

Quote:
And the English language is one of the most difficult languages because the language has so many different words that mean the same thing. And if you look to our people across the pond that tend to speak English too, but have many different sayings or standards of speaking.
My son-in-law is from Australia. I have no idea what he's saying half of the time. What language do they speak in Australia?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Mon Mar 17, 2014, 07:55pm
Do not give a damn!!

African.

Peace
Old Mon Mar 17, 2014, 08:04pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Out Of Africa ...

Quote:
African.
Not a language. Not a country, but we all come from there. All of us. Every single one of us. We are all cousins. No two people are more distantly related than 50th cousins.

Old Mon Mar 17, 2014, 10:08pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Any chance this thread might meander back to the original topic?
Old Mon Mar 17, 2014, 10:12pm
Statistician/Ref Hybrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRZ View Post
What? Intentionally throwing the ball AT (not TO) you? WOW, Stat-Man!
A few seconds before this, he was frustrated over a no-call, and had I not said something, he was set to slam the ball in disgust.

When he threw the ball at me after the period ended, I could only think that if this was his way of thanking me for being preventative, he could have the T-party I prevented the moment before. Of course, his coach tried telling my partner how the kid was the most docile player on the team. But both my partner and assignor had no problem with the call. (This particular assignor wants reports on all unsporting technical fouls.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed
I learned this year that you only remember the techs you didn't call.
I had this in a MS Girls game in the fall. I let an AC say way too much (yeah, I know) during the game and it left a bad taste in my mouth. And my partner's halftime advice to ignore the AC -- while a short-term solution -- did little to address the main problem. On the way back home, I told myself I would not let this happen again and made sure to write about it in my journal.

The center of attention as the lead & trail. – me
Games officiated: 525 Basketball · 76 Softball · 16 Baseball
Old Tue Mar 18, 2014, 12:38am
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stat-Man View Post
On the way back home, I told myself I would not let this happen again and made sure to write about it in my journal.
Is this a regular journal or an officiating journal?
Old Tue Mar 18, 2014, 06:59am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stat-Man View Post
A few seconds before this, he was frustrated over a no-call, and had I not said something, he was set to slam the ball in disgust.

When he threw the ball at me after the period ended, I could only think that if this was his way of thanking me for being preventative, he could have the T-party I prevented the moment before.....
Too much thinking. Warn once, then T. You don't have to justify something as obvious as this.
Old Tue Mar 18, 2014, 09:16am
Official Forum Member

I did not keep track of mine, but I was at about 7.

In church league, I whacked a coach, 2 kids. In HS, I whacked a coach who wanted to be "T"ed, An assistant & I whacked a kid for cussing. I also got a MS Assistant coach.

I have learned the art of patience....I hope. In past years I have been around 20.
Old Tue Mar 18, 2014, 10:24am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
I nailed my predicted zero Ts issued out of zero games worked.
Me too, almost.

Zero Ts, 5 games.