The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Mar 14, 2014, 11:39pm
Official Forum Member

Video Request: Cal Poly vs. UC Irvine

End of this game was interesting. Three plays in the last minute. UCI is team A, Cal Poly team B for the course of this discussion.

Play 1 - Under a minute to go, foul on A1 on rebound, B32 then pivots with elbows extended, makes no contact, not even close, but A1 goes down like he was shot and stays down. No call on elbow, they went to monitor, but I think it was for the time, not to review the elbow. I do not think anything can be done about this after the fact, i.e. while reviewing play at the monitor and you see an obvious flop.

Play 2 - :04 seconds left. A1 offensive rebound, goes back up and gets held on non-shooting arm and ball shoots straight OOB. L initially gives ball to Team A OOB, but since under a minute, they go to monitor and see Team B never came close to touching it. My initial thought was that the L thought the contact was marginal but that he would just give Team A the ball instead, but that cannot happen anymore with video review, so foul was just missed.

Play 3 - * Main play * Ensuing inbounds, long pass to midcourt, two players go up, endline angle shows B32 player vertical, A2 goes slightly into B32. B32 catches while in air, and goes down to the floor with the ball (he may have lost the ball prior to going to the floor, but video inconclusive there). Call is a travel on B32. IMO, even though the contact was perhaps minimal, it caused B32 to fall and travel. A play that in my mind makes me ask, "B32 went up vertical, how was he not able to land properly?" In the defense of the C, it was a tough play to get since he was at FTLE in backcourt and had to hustle to get any kind of angle on the play at midcourt and he looks pretty straightlined.
Old Sat Mar 15, 2014, 01:23pm
Official Forum Member

On play 1, when officials go to a monitor when no foul is called they can still retroactively asses a Flagrant 1 or 2 Foul, or as in this case when there is nothing just go play on.

If they had a call on the play before going to the monitor thier options are wide open: Charge a common foul, charge no foul, or charge an FF1 or FF2
Old Sun Mar 16, 2014, 04:43pm
Official Forum Member

video added

Here's the play...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathReferee View Post
Play 3 - * Main play * Ensuing inbounds, long pass to midcourt, two players go up, endline angle shows B32 player vertical, A2 goes slightly into B32. B32 catches while in air, and goes down to the floor with the ball (he may have lost the ball prior to going to the floor, but video inconclusive there). Call is a travel on B32. IMO, even though the contact was perhaps minimal, it caused B32 to fall and travel. A play that in my mind makes me ask, "B32 went up vertical, how was he not able to land properly?" In the defense of the C, it was a tough play to get since he was at FTLE in backcourt and had to hustle to get any kind of angle on the play at midcourt and he looks pretty straightlined.

"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Sun Mar 16, 2014, 06:11pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

I don't see the travel. I see the ball not in his possession. I also see the ball touching Gold last before going OB. Of course, both of these are after the missed foul. A violation on A is the last thing you want to call here.

C starts in the right position to watch in the match-ups near the throw-in. Once the TI is airborne, he's gotta know that the L can't help with this, so he has to be on his horse to get there. He didn't start moving to get a better look until the ball was almost the destination.

But hey, we all miss some.
Old Sun Mar 16, 2014, 06:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee View Post
I don't see the travel. I see the ball not in his possession. I also see the ball touching Gold last before going OB. Of course, both of these are after the missed foul. A violation on A is the last thing you want to call here.

C starts in the right position to watch in the match-ups near the throw-in. Once the TI is airborne, he's gotta know that the L can't help with this, so he has to be on his horse to get there. He didn't start moving to get a better look until the ball was almost the destination.

But hey, we all miss some.
Foul? On who? I see two players in equally favorable positions on a poorly thrown pass jumping towards each other.

I can see that the ball may have been loose just before he hit the floor, but splitting that hair in real time would be tough and it isn't even clear in slo-mo.
Old Sun Mar 16, 2014, 06:57pm
Stubborn Member

I don't have a foul here, but I'm not sure he had possession of the ball before he fell. I'm leaning no-call here. But I'm not about to say the ref missed the call.
Old Sun Mar 16, 2014, 07:14pm
Courageous When Prudent

I don't see a foul, nor did I see possession in real time or in slow motion.
Old Sun Mar 16, 2014, 07:37pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Foul? On who? I see two players in equally favorable positions on a poorly thrown pass jumping towards each other.

I can see that the ball may have been loose just before he hit the floor, but splitting that hair in real time would be tough and it isn't even clear in slo-mo.
A's vector is definitely not towards B. A does jump so that his landing spot is on the same vector as the throw-in. But this is not illegal, and he is still afforded to land safely.

In the end zone view, I see B jumping towards and into A and the arm-length contact removes A's chance to land safely with possession because it throws off A's balance significantly.

I agree that catching the loose ball in real time is difficult. I thought it was only a suspect travel in real-time, and an easy call non-travel in slow-mo, but that may be my college football video training coming through (catch/no-catch). Nonetheless, I think the non-travel is the more accurate observation.

If the C didn't wish to call (or observe) a foul, giving the ball to A for the OB violation is an easy sell given that the travel is more likely not there than it is there.

Again, just a deeper explanation of my 2 cents.
Old Mon Mar 17, 2014, 09:07am
Official Forum Member

I don't see a foul on B (he stays pretty vertical), and A doesn't travel, out off of gold, black ball. He was going to travel but dropped the ball. Great play for review.
Old Mon Mar 17, 2014, 01:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
A's vector is definitely not towards B. A does jump so that his landing spot is on the same vector as the throw-in. But this is not illegal, and he is still afforded to land safely.

In the end zone view, I see B jumping towards and into A and the arm-length contact removes A's chance to land safely with possession because it throws off A's balance significantly.

Neither player was jumping "towards each other" but towards the spot the ball was being thrown to. B's landing spot was open when he jumped too and A just jumped into the same space.

Last edited by Camron Rust; Tue Mar 18, 2014 at 04:21pm.
Old Mon Mar 17, 2014, 01:44pm
Get away from me, Steve.

I'd rather see a more patient whistle from the C and nothing but an out of bounds violation.

I do not have a foul on this play.
Old Tue Mar 18, 2014, 02:34pm
Official Forum Member

Nothing just a simple out of bounds.....

Slow down and let the whole play.......

Begin / Develop and Finish !!!!! ( according to the words of Al Battista )
Old Tue Mar 18, 2014, 02:49pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:

While I don't think there is any foul here, I will disagree with your statement that the L can't help out on this play. He could, if he was anywhere in the video! 9 of the 10 players end up in the backcourt, and the 10th is close to the midcourt line, but the L isn't even in the video. Where the heck was he???
Old Tue Mar 18, 2014, 02:51pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post

I think it's clear in slow motion, but other than that, this is my thought on this after watching once.
Old Tue Mar 18, 2014, 04:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad View Post
While I don't think there is any foul here, I will disagree with your statement that the L can't help out on this play. He could, if he was anywhere in the video! 9 of the 10 players end up in the backcourt, and the 10th is close to the midcourt line, but the L isn't even in the video. Where the heck was he???
At best he would've been at the FTLE extended in the frontcourt since that's about as much as the main camera angle covers. Good observation given every player was within about 60 feet of the throw-in spot.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)