View Single Post
Old Fri Mar 14, 2014, 11:39pm
Official Forum Member

Video Request: Cal Poly vs. UC Irvine

End of this game was interesting. Three plays in the last minute. UCI is team A, Cal Poly team B for the course of this discussion.

Play 1 - Under a minute to go, foul on A1 on rebound, B32 then pivots with elbows extended, makes no contact, not even close, but A1 goes down like he was shot and stays down. No call on elbow, they went to monitor, but I think it was for the time, not to review the elbow. I do not think anything can be done about this after the fact, i.e. while reviewing play at the monitor and you see an obvious flop.

Play 2 - :04 seconds left. A1 offensive rebound, goes back up and gets held on non-shooting arm and ball shoots straight OOB. L initially gives ball to Team A OOB, but since under a minute, they go to monitor and see Team B never came close to touching it. My initial thought was that the L thought the contact was marginal but that he would just give Team A the ball instead, but that cannot happen anymore with video review, so foul was just missed.

Play 3 - * Main play * Ensuing inbounds, long pass to midcourt, two players go up, endline angle shows B32 player vertical, A2 goes slightly into B32. B32 catches while in air, and goes down to the floor with the ball (he may have lost the ball prior to going to the floor, but video inconclusive there). Call is a travel on B32. IMO, even though the contact was perhaps minimal, it caused B32 to fall and travel. A play that in my mind makes me ask, "B32 went up vertical, how was he not able to land properly?" In the defense of the C, it was a tough play to get since he was at FTLE in backcourt and had to hustle to get any kind of angle on the play at midcourt and he looks pretty straightlined.