The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Video Request: Cal Poly vs. UC Irvine (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/97513-video-request-cal-poly-vs-uc-irvine.html)

MathReferee Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:39pm

Video Request: Cal Poly vs. UC Irvine

End of this game was interesting. Three plays in the last minute. UCI is team A, Cal Poly team B for the course of this discussion.

Play 1 - Under a minute to go, foul on A1 on rebound, B32 then pivots with elbows extended, makes no contact, not even close, but A1 goes down like he was shot and stays down. No call on elbow, they went to monitor, but I think it was for the time, not to review the elbow. I do not think anything can be done about this after the fact, i.e. while reviewing play at the monitor and you see an obvious flop.

Play 2 - :04 seconds left. A1 offensive rebound, goes back up and gets held on non-shooting arm and ball shoots straight OOB. L initially gives ball to Team A OOB, but since under a minute, they go to monitor and see Team B never came close to touching it. My initial thought was that the L thought the contact was marginal but that he would just give Team A the ball instead, but that cannot happen anymore with video review, so foul was just missed.

Play 3 - * Main play * Ensuing inbounds, long pass to midcourt, two players go up, endline angle shows B32 player vertical, A2 goes slightly into B32. B32 catches while in air, and goes down to the floor with the ball (he may have lost the ball prior to going to the floor, but video inconclusive there). Call is a travel on B32. IMO, even though the contact was perhaps minimal, it caused B32 to fall and travel. A play that in my mind makes me ask, "B32 went up vertical, how was he not able to land properly?" In the defense of the C, it was a tough play to get since he was at FTLE in backcourt and had to hustle to get any kind of angle on the play at midcourt and he looks pretty straightlined.

SoInZebra Sat Mar 15, 2014 01:23pm

On play 1, when officials go to a monitor when no foul is called they can still retroactively asses a Flagrant 1 or 2 Foul, or as in this case when there is nothing just go play on.

If they had a call on the play before going to the monitor thier options are wide open: Charge a common foul, charge no foul, or charge an FF1 or FF2

JetMetFan Sun Mar 16, 2014 04:43pm

video added

Here's the play...

Quote:

Originally Posted by MathReferee (Post 927121)
Play 3 - * Main play * Ensuing inbounds, long pass to midcourt, two players go up, endline angle shows B32 player vertical, A2 goes slightly into B32. B32 catches while in air, and goes down to the floor with the ball (he may have lost the ball prior to going to the floor, but video inconclusive there). Call is a travel on B32. IMO, even though the contact was perhaps minimal, it caused B32 to fall and travel. A play that in my mind makes me ask, "B32 went up vertical, how was he not able to land properly?" In the defense of the C, it was a tough play to get since he was at FTLE in backcourt and had to hustle to get any kind of angle on the play at midcourt and he looks pretty straightlined.

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/71U3zCn18lU?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

JugglingReferee Sun Mar 16, 2014 06:11pm

I don't see the travel. I see the ball not in his possession. I also see the ball touching Gold last before going OB. Of course, both of these are after the missed foul. A violation on A is the last thing you want to call here.

C starts in the right position to watch in the match-ups near the throw-in. Once the TI is airborne, he's gotta know that the L can't help with this, so he has to be on his horse to get there. He didn't start moving to get a better look until the ball was almost the destination.

But hey, we all miss some.

Camron Rust Sun Mar 16, 2014 06:56pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JugglingReferee (Post 927299)
I don't see the travel. I see the ball not in his possession. I also see the ball touching Gold last before going OB. Of course, both of these are after the missed foul. A violation on A is the last thing you want to call here.

C starts in the right position to watch in the match-ups near the throw-in. Once the TI is airborne, he's gotta know that the L can't help with this, so he has to be on his horse to get there. He didn't start moving to get a better look until the ball was almost the destination.

But hey, we all miss some.

Foul? On who? I see two players in equally favorable positions on a poorly thrown pass jumping towards each other.

I can see that the ball may have been loose just before he hit the floor, but splitting that hair in real time would be tough and it isn't even clear in slo-mo.

BryanV21 Sun Mar 16, 2014 06:57pm

I don't have a foul here, but I'm not sure he had possession of the ball before he fell. I'm leaning no-call here. But I'm not about to say the ref missed the call.

Raymond Sun Mar 16, 2014 07:14pm

I don't see a foul, nor did I see possession in real time or in slow motion.

JugglingReferee Sun Mar 16, 2014 07:37pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 927305)
Foul? On who? I see two players in equally favorable positions on a poorly thrown pass jumping towards each other.

I can see that the ball may have been loose just before he hit the floor, but splitting that hair in real time would be tough and it isn't even clear in slo-mo.

A's vector is definitely not towards B. A does jump so that his landing spot is on the same vector as the throw-in. But this is not illegal, and he is still afforded to land safely.

In the end zone view, I see B jumping towards and into A and the arm-length contact removes A's chance to land safely with possession because it throws off A's balance significantly.

I agree that catching the loose ball in real time is difficult. I thought it was only a suspect travel in real-time, and an easy call non-travel in slow-mo, but that may be my college football video training coming through (catch/no-catch). Nonetheless, I think the non-travel is the more accurate observation.

If the C didn't wish to call (or observe) a foul, giving the ball to A for the OB violation is an easy sell given that the travel is more likely not there than it is there.

Again, just a deeper explanation of my 2 cents. :D

ballgame99 Mon Mar 17, 2014 09:07am

I don't see a foul on B (he stays pretty vertical), and A doesn't travel, out off of gold, black ball. He was going to travel but dropped the ball. Great play for review.

Camron Rust Mon Mar 17, 2014 01:40pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JugglingReferee (Post 927313)
A's vector is definitely not towards B. A does jump so that his landing spot is on the same vector as the throw-in. But this is not illegal, and he is still afforded to land safely.

In the end zone view, I see B jumping towards and into A and the arm-length contact removes A's chance to land safely with possession because it throws off A's balance significantly.

:D

Neither player was jumping "towards each other" but towards the spot the ball was being thrown to. B's landing spot was open when he jumped too and A just jumped into the same space.

Rich Mon Mar 17, 2014 01:44pm

I'd rather see a more patient whistle from the C and nothing but an out of bounds violation.

I do not have a foul on this play.

Multiple Sports Tue Mar 18, 2014 02:34pm

Nothing just a simple out of bounds.....

Slow down and let the whole play.......

Begin / Develop and Finish !!!!! ( according to the words of Al Battista )

rockyroad Tue Mar 18, 2014 02:49pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JugglingReferee (Post 927299)

While I don't think there is any foul here, I will disagree with your statement that the L can't help out on this play. He could, if he was anywhere in the video! 9 of the 10 players end up in the backcourt, and the 10th is close to the midcourt line, but the L isn't even in the video. Where the heck was he???

Adam Tue Mar 18, 2014 02:51pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 927305)

I think it's clear in slow motion, but other than that, this is my thought on this after watching once.

JetMetFan Tue Mar 18, 2014 04:24pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockyroad (Post 927616)
While I don't think there is any foul here, I will disagree with your statement that the L can't help out on this play. He could, if he was anywhere in the video! 9 of the 10 players end up in the backcourt, and the 10th is close to the midcourt line, but the L isn't even in the video. Where the heck was he???

At best he would've been at the FTLE extended in the frontcourt since that's about as much as the main camera angle covers. Good observation given every player was within about 60 feet of the throw-in spot.