The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Mar 13, 2014, 08:34pm
Official Forum Member

End of MN 4A Semi-final

In the 1st MN 4A Semi Final tonight we had a team win on about a 60 foot shot at the buzzer and under MN protocol replay was used to determine if the shot was good. It was and here is a photo from the game showing the shot was off in time. The clock is near the back of the photo and shows .1 left and the ball is in the air.

From my camera to your eyes....the shot was off well before t... on Twitpic

Last edited by paulsonj72; Thu Feb 05, 2015 at 01:04pm.
Old Fri Mar 14, 2014, 06:11am
This IS My Social Life

Where Jesse Once Reigned

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsonj72 View Post
In the 1st MN 4A Semi Final tonight we had a team win on about a 60 foot shot at the buzzer and under MN portico replay was used to determine if the shot was good....
Interesting portico you have there. We have a protocol here that sounds like it allows for the same process at state tourney games.
Old Fri Mar 14, 2014, 08:29am
Official Forum Member

no video? Would love to see that finish.
Old Fri Mar 14, 2014, 08:33am
TODO: creative title here

Deadspin has it:
Four-Overtime Minnesota State Semifinal Ends On 60-Foot Buzzer-Beater

And now I think it's entirely possible that this game will bring out another push to institute a shot clock in MN. Hopkins played stall-ball for a fair amount of the second half and the overtime periods. The final OT consisted of Hopkins winning the jump ball, followed by 3:40ish of one player standing near the midcourt line holding the ball, a timeout, a drive with a missed shot, a timeout, another missed shot, another timeout, and then the final buzzer-beater.
Old Fri Mar 14, 2014, 08:37am
Official Forum Member

ESPN also has the video posted.
Old Fri Mar 14, 2014, 09:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jTheUmp View Post
Deadspin has it:

And now I think it's entirely possible that this game will bring out another push to institute a shot clock in MN. Hopkins played stall-ball for a fair amount of the second half and the overtime periods. The final OT consisted of Hopkins winning the jump ball, followed by 3:40ish of one player standing near the midcourt line holding the ball, a timeout, a drive with a missed shot, a timeout, another missed shot, another timeout, and then the final buzzer-beater.
Just curious...but didn't Hopkins' opponents LET them stall the ball for all that time? Seems to me if a defender would have simply come out to about 5' from the ball handler then Hopkins would have been forced to do something other than hold the ball near midcourt.

I understand a shot clock is basically to force teams to play basketball. In my opinion, it also serves to assist a team that is afraid to, or incapable, of playing defense for an extended amount of time.
Old Fri Mar 14, 2014, 09:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Deadspin has it:

If we are going to have a shot clock in Minnesota, we will need to go to three officials. Most of the state uses two officials for varsity until tournament time and managing a shot clock with two is extremely difficult.
Old Fri Mar 14, 2014, 09:09am
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Deadspin has it:

The thing I don't get about those complaining about stall ball is that it takes two teams for it to actually work.
Old Fri Mar 14, 2014, 09:41am
TODO: creative title here

Quote:
Originally Posted by SE Minnestoa Re View Post
If we are going to have a shot clock in Minnesota, we will need to go to three officials. Most of the state uses two officials for varsity until tournament time and managing a shot clock with two is extremely difficult.
I completely agree.

Thinking back on my games this year, I can't rememeber more than 3 or 4 instances where a team kept possession for over 30 consecutive seconds without taking a shot or turning the ball over, so I don't think a shot clock is necessary. But I'm sure it'll be talked about during the off season.
Old Fri Mar 14, 2014, 09:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
The thing I don't get about those complaining about stall ball is that it takes two teams for it to actually work.
Since the coaches (with the R's approval in Varsity games) are allowed to shorten the contest, why not just have a mechanic where the R looks at each bench, the coach holds up the number of minutes s/he wants left in the game, the R takes the higher number and signals the scorer who changes the clock on the fly and off we go.

no need to stand around for three minutes in OT -- just set the clock to one minute and play.
Old Fri Mar 14, 2014, 12:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatteryPowered View Post
Just curious...but didn't Hopkins' opponents LET them stall the ball for all that time? Seems to me if a defender would have simply come out to about 5' from the ball handler then Hopkins would have been forced to do something other than hold the ball near midcourt.

I understand a shot clock is basically to force teams to play basketball. In my opinion, it also serves to assist a team that is afraid to, or incapable, of playing defense for an extended amount of time.
Yes Shakopee(Hopkins opponent) sat back in a 2-3 zone the entire time and didn't come out to challenge them. My guess is that Hopkins was trying to draw them out of the zone as they had the quickness advantage.
Old Fri Mar 14, 2014, 12:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
Interesting portico you have there. We have a protocol here that sounds like it allows for the same process at state tourney games.
MN has had it since 2006 for televised tourney games. The Hoffharber shot in 2005 was the push behind it. That call was correct but there was fear a missed call COULD cost a team a game in the state tourney and if the technology was there why not use it to make sure the call is correct.
Old Fri Mar 14, 2014, 12:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SE Minnestoa Re View Post
I disagree. I officiated in CA and currently NY, both are shot clock states, and also both 2 man states. You don't NEED the third with the shot-clock.
Old Fri Mar 14, 2014, 12:06pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
I disagree. I officiated in CA and currently NY, both are shot clock states, and also both 2 man states. You don't NEED the third with the shot-clock.
While your point remains, CA is not exclusively a 2 whistle state. It depends entirely upon the section and association covering the games.
Old Fri Mar 14, 2014, 12:18pm
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
why not just have a mechanic where the R looks at each bench, the coach holds up the number of minutes s/he wants left in the game, the R takes the higher number and signals the scorer who changes the clock on the fly and off we go.
Cuz taking time off the clock isn't the only thing they are trying to do by stalling.