The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old Thu Mar 13, 2014, 08:34pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 192
End of MN 4A Semi-final

In the 1st MN 4A Semi Final tonight we had a team win on about a 60 foot shot at the buzzer and under MN protocol replay was used to determine if the shot was good. It was and here is a photo from the game showing the shot was off in time. The clock is near the back of the photo and shows .1 left and the ball is in the air.

From my camera to your eyes....the shot was off well before t... on Twitpic

Last edited by paulsonj72; Thu Feb 05, 2015 at 01:04pm.
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old Fri Mar 14, 2014, 06:11am
This IS My Social Life
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: at L, T, or C
Posts: 2,203
Where Jesse Once Reigned

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsonj72 View Post
In the 1st MN 4A Semi Final tonight we had a team win on about a 60 foot shot at the buzzer and under MN portico replay was used to determine if the shot was good....
Interesting portico you have there. We have a protocol here that sounds like it allows for the same process at state tourney games.
__________________
Making Every Effort to Be in the Right Place at the Right Time, Looking at the Right Thing to Make the Right Call
www.myvirtualofficialsassociation.com
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old Fri Mar 14, 2014, 08:29am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Missouri
Posts: 660
no video? Would love to see that finish.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old Fri Mar 14, 2014, 08:33am
TODO: creative title here
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 1,231
Deadspin has it:
Four-Overtime Minnesota State Semifinal Ends On 60-Foot Buzzer-Beater

And now I think it's entirely possible that this game will bring out another push to institute a shot clock in MN. Hopkins played stall-ball for a fair amount of the second half and the overtime periods. The final OT consisted of Hopkins winning the jump ball, followed by 3:40ish of one player standing near the midcourt line holding the ball, a timeout, a drive with a missed shot, a timeout, another missed shot, another timeout, and then the final buzzer-beater.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old Fri Mar 14, 2014, 08:37am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 14,278
ESPN also has the video posted.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old Fri Mar 14, 2014, 09:08am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Arlington, TX
Posts: 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by jTheUmp View Post
Deadspin has it:
Four-Overtime Minnesota State Semifinal Ends On 60-Foot Buzzer-Beater

And now I think it's entirely possible that this game will bring out another push to institute a shot clock in MN. Hopkins played stall-ball for a fair amount of the second half and the overtime periods. The final OT consisted of Hopkins winning the jump ball, followed by 3:40ish of one player standing near the midcourt line holding the ball, a timeout, a drive with a missed shot, a timeout, another missed shot, another timeout, and then the final buzzer-beater.
Just curious...but didn't Hopkins' opponents LET them stall the ball for all that time? Seems to me if a defender would have simply come out to about 5' from the ball handler then Hopkins would have been forced to do something other than hold the ball near midcourt.

I understand a shot clock is basically to force teams to play basketball. In my opinion, it also serves to assist a team that is afraid to, or incapable, of playing defense for an extended amount of time.
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old Fri Mar 14, 2014, 09:09am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by jTheUmp View Post
Deadspin has it:
Four-Overtime Minnesota State Semifinal Ends On 60-Foot Buzzer-Beater

And now I think it's entirely possible that this game will bring out another push to institute a shot clock in MN. Hopkins played stall-ball for a fair amount of the second half and the overtime periods. The final OT consisted of Hopkins winning the jump ball, followed by 3:40ish of one player standing near the midcourt line holding the ball, a timeout, a drive with a missed shot, a timeout, another missed shot, another timeout, and then the final buzzer-beater.
If we are going to have a shot clock in Minnesota, we will need to go to three officials. Most of the state uses two officials for varsity until tournament time and managing a shot clock with two is extremely difficult.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old Fri Mar 14, 2014, 09:09am
Archaic Power Monger
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 5,983
Quote:
Originally Posted by jTheUmp View Post
Deadspin has it:
Four-Overtime Minnesota State Semifinal Ends On 60-Foot Buzzer-Beater

And now I think it's entirely possible that this game will bring out another push to institute a shot clock in MN. Hopkins played stall-ball for a fair amount of the second half and the overtime periods. The final OT consisted of Hopkins winning the jump ball, followed by 3:40ish of one player standing near the midcourt line holding the ball, a timeout, a drive with a missed shot, a timeout, another missed shot, another timeout, and then the final buzzer-beater.
The thing I don't get about those complaining about stall ball is that it takes two teams for it to actually work.
__________________
Even if you’re on the right track, you’ll get run over if you just sit there. - Will Rogers
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old Fri Mar 14, 2014, 09:41am
TODO: creative title here
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 1,231
Quote:
Originally Posted by SE Minnestoa Re View Post
If we are going to have a shot clock in Minnesota, we will need to go to three officials. Most of the state uses two officials for varsity until tournament time and managing a shot clock with two is extremely difficult.
I completely agree.

Thinking back on my games this year, I can't rememeber more than 3 or 4 instances where a team kept possession for over 30 consecutive seconds without taking a shot or turning the ball over, so I don't think a shot clock is necessary. But I'm sure it'll be talked about during the off season.
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old Fri Mar 14, 2014, 09:48am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 16,852
Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
The thing I don't get about those complaining about stall ball is that it takes two teams for it to actually work.
Since the coaches (with the R's approval in Varsity games) are allowed to shorten the contest, why not just have a mechanic where the R looks at each bench, the coach holds up the number of minutes s/he wants left in the game, the R takes the higher number and signals the scorer who changes the clock on the fly and off we go.

no need to stand around for three minutes in OT -- just set the clock to one minute and play.
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old Fri Mar 14, 2014, 12:02pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by BatteryPowered View Post
Just curious...but didn't Hopkins' opponents LET them stall the ball for all that time? Seems to me if a defender would have simply come out to about 5' from the ball handler then Hopkins would have been forced to do something other than hold the ball near midcourt.

I understand a shot clock is basically to force teams to play basketball. In my opinion, it also serves to assist a team that is afraid to, or incapable, of playing defense for an extended amount of time.
Yes Shakopee(Hopkins opponent) sat back in a 2-3 zone the entire time and didn't come out to challenge them. My guess is that Hopkins was trying to draw them out of the zone as they had the quickness advantage.
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old Fri Mar 14, 2014, 12:03pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
Interesting portico you have there. We have a protocol here that sounds like it allows for the same process at state tourney games.
MN has had it since 2006 for televised tourney games. The Hoffharber shot in 2005 was the push behind it. That call was correct but there was fear a missed call COULD cost a team a game in the state tourney and if the technology was there why not use it to make sure the call is correct.
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old Fri Mar 14, 2014, 12:04pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 3,389
Quote:
Originally Posted by SE Minnestoa Re View Post
If we are going to have a shot clock in Minnesota, we will need to go to three officials. Most of the state uses two officials for varsity until tournament time and managing a shot clock with two is extremely difficult.
I disagree. I officiated in CA and currently NY, both are shot clock states, and also both 2 man states. You don't NEED the third with the shot-clock.
__________________
in OS I trust
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old Fri Mar 14, 2014, 12:06pm
Archaic Power Monger
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 5,983
Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
I disagree. I officiated in CA and currently NY, both are shot clock states, and also both 2 man states. You don't NEED the third with the shot-clock.
While your point remains, CA is not exclusively a 2 whistle state. It depends entirely upon the section and association covering the games.
__________________
Even if you’re on the right track, you’ll get run over if you just sit there. - Will Rogers
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old Fri Mar 14, 2014, 12:18pm
Show up, keep up, shut up
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 3,399
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
why not just have a mechanic where the R looks at each bench, the coach holds up the number of minutes s/he wants left in the game, the R takes the higher number and signals the scorer who changes the clock on the fly and off we go.
Cuz taking time off the clock isn't the only thing they are trying to do by stalling.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Our crew for our semi-final game in the dome MJT Football 8 Sat Dec 20, 2008 09:52pm
We have a semi-final game in the UNI Dome!!! MJT Football 2 Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:24pm
Semi final/final system of Beijing Hirvi Softball 14 Fri Jun 20, 2008 08:28am
Horizon semi-final officials Raymond Basketball 15 Mon Mar 05, 2007 09:21pm
DI-AA Semi-Final tjones1 Football 11 Fri Dec 16, 2005 12:48pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:39pm.



Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0 RC1