Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Mar 11, 2014, 11:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutantducky View Post
this was an interesting one.
I first thought charge but after seeing it again I agree with BillyMac. The defender was there so the offensive player took a side step to allow himself to get by. I thought the defender moved into the path of the Stanford player and wasn't established. I'd go with a block but a difficult play to call for sure.
You just described what a defender is permitted to do to maintain LGP.
Old Tue Mar 11, 2014, 11:23am
Get away from me, Steve.

The player, once establishing LGP, is allowed to move laterally to maintain it.
Old Tue Mar 11, 2014, 08:01pm
In Time Out

But from my point of view the defender moves laterally into the path of the offensive player. Which is legal sure, but I see the defender moving to the side and back without an established defensive position. The offensive player makes a move to get to the side and the defensive player gets in his way. I'd have gone with a block, but again, a very mild disagreement. good play to view
Old Tue Mar 11, 2014, 10:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
But from my point of view the defender moves laterally into the path of the offensive player. Which is legal sure, but I see the defender moving to the side and back without an established defensive position. The offensive player makes a move to get to the side and the defensive player gets in his way. I'd have gone with a block, but again, a very mild disagreement. good play to view
Exactly what is it you require for a defender to get LGP that this guy is missing?
Old Wed Mar 12, 2014, 08:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
You are adding criteria that is extraneous and doesn't meet the checklist criteria for a charge:

1. Did the defender initially have LGP (both feet on floor and facing opponent)? - YES

2. Did the defender move legally (laterally or backwards, not towards the opponent) to maintain his position? - YES

3. Did contact occur at the defender's torso before the offensive player got his head and shoulders past the defender? YES

Charge
Old Wed Mar 12, 2014, 09:05am
Official Forum Member

No travel and PC. I could see a no-call here too, the contact was so minor. Lord knows we have seen no-calls with much more severe contact.