The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Video Request - Colorado/Stanford - Block/Charge (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/97450-video-request-colorado-stanford-block-charge.html)

VTOfficial Thu Mar 06, 2014 09:48am

Video Request - Colorado/Stanford - Block/Charge

When someone has a chance, could you post the block/charge call at 2:01 in the 2nd half of the Colorado/Stanford game?

Thanks.

JetMetFan Thu Mar 06, 2014 05:11pm

video added

Here's the play...

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/PfQIGYp_qM8?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

just another ref Thu Mar 06, 2014 05:23pm

If you don't want to call the travel, (and they don't) it's a charge.

BillyMac Thu Mar 06, 2014 05:26pm

Tough Call ...

Tough call. I don't like the defender sliding to his right, maybe on time, or maybe a little late, and sticking out his right knee. Since I'm not a college official, I'll defer to others more knowledgeable, but I might lean toward a block in real time, in my high school game. It's that knee that keep bugging me because in real time, on the floor, that might be something that I would see, question, and probably influence my call for right, or for wrong.

JetMetFan Thu Mar 06, 2014 05:26pm

I'm not in the "I hate traveling" club but I don't see one. I have him ending his dribble with both feet in the air then the right foot comes down. It doesn't come back down again until after the contact.

just another ref Thu Mar 06, 2014 05:33pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JetMetFan (Post 926032)
I'm not in the "I hate traveling" club but I don't see one. I have him ending his dribble with both feet in the air then the right foot comes down. It doesn't come back down again until after the contact.

He dragged the right foot six inches before he lifted it. This would be easy to miss in real time.

MD Longhorn Thu Mar 06, 2014 05:49pm

I'm pretty sure I don't have travelling here... and I had PC on the first camera angle.

Second camera angle, I'm not actually positive these two players touch each other.

Blindolbat Thu Mar 06, 2014 06:12pm

I have to admit I don't see the traveling. Either way it's a PC to me.

JRutledge Thu Mar 06, 2014 06:19pm

PC foul. Not an upward motion play.

Obviously I see no travel.

Peace

Pantherdreams Thu Mar 06, 2014 08:08pm

I think the issue on the travel call (which you don't clearly see until the 2nd angle) the right foot never gets lifted it gets drug most of the way across the floor. Which is funny? ironic? because if he flits it he's ok footwork wise.

I like the PC call here. Think its the right call.

Camron Rust Thu Mar 06, 2014 08:51pm

Yes, he did travel. But, I don't think it would be one that would be caught.

Ignoring that, it was a PC. Defender had LGP and moved laterally to maintain it staying in the path of the opponent 100% of the time.

twocentsworth Sun Mar 09, 2014 12:07am

That's a PC foul every time this play occurs.

There is no travel, unless you going to ignore that PC foul and THEN pay attention to footwork.....of course it was the defender being knocked over that caused the offensive player to travel.

Rooster Mon Mar 10, 2014 02:38pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MD Longhorn (Post 926042)
Second camera angle, I'm not actually positive these two players touch each other.

I see them as making contact but I don't see the "to and through." Defender was already going backward-ish (legally) and I see the contact (at 0:29 of the vid) as slight at most. At game speed, though, I see myself shipping it as well.

Rich Mon Mar 10, 2014 03:03pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by just another ref (Post 926034)
He dragged the right foot six inches before he lifted it. This would be easy to miss in real time.

That's not getting called. And I'm happy it's not, too.

mutantducky Tue Mar 11, 2014 04:51am

this was an interesting one.
I first thought charge but after seeing it again I agree with BillyMac. The defender was there so the offensive player took a side step to allow himself to get by. I thought the defender moved into the path of the Stanford player and wasn't established. I'd go with a block but a difficult play to call for sure.

look how they banged knees at the 30 second mark. ouch